200-300 $ range scope

This is a discussion on 200-300 $ range scope within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking to get a R700 rifle, and I have about a 300 budget for a scope. don't want it to go over 300 bucks... any ...

Thread: 200-300 $ range scope

200-300 $ range scope

Looking to get a R700 rifle, and I have about a 300 budget for a scope. don't want it to go over 300 bucks...

any reccomendations?

this is for a .308 or a .30-06

my only requirements are mil dot, and I want to be able to replace the cap at the top so I can twist the cap for range. not sure what that feature is called.

Just going to opticsplanet, this is something I'd want. as a matter of fact, just what I want I guess lol

http://www.opticsplanet.net/millet-t...iflescope.html
    Last edited by taseal; April 18th, 2011 at 08:07 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Bushnell 3200 is your best bet, most under 300 dollar scopes cant handle the .30 caliber recoil and lose zero.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    Looking to get a R700 rifle, and I have about a 300 budget for a scope. don't want it to go over 300 bucks...

any reccomendations?

my only requirements are mil dot, and I want to be able to replace the cap at the top so I can twist the cap for range. not sure what that feature is called.

Just going to opticsplanet, this is something I'd want. as a matter of fact, just what I want I guess lol

Millett 4-16x50 Tactical Rifle scopes BK81008 / BK81001 FREE S&H BK81001, BK81008. Millett Riflescopes.
    Not enough information. What cartridge? What are you going to use the rifle for?

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

The Bushnell is an excellent scope for the money. I handled a Bone Collector series the other day and was impressed with it. I personally run all Nikon scopes on my guns.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Not enough information. What cartridge? What are you going to use the rifle for?

Fitch
    added it in there

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Bushnell 3200 is your best bet, most under 300 dollar scopes cant handle the .30 caliber recoil and lose zero.
    Hogwash! There are PLENTY of scopes that are in his price range that will hold up to a lifetime of abuse.

Here's an idea for you. Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

yeah I heard of that one as well...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Hogwash! There are PLENTY of scopes that are in his price range that will hold up to a lifetime of abuse.

Here's an idea for you. Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA
    I totally agree! That weaver is a good one, heck I would put a Nikon on and never look back either.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I totally agree! That weaver is a good one, heck I would put a Nikon on and never look back either.
    I'm glad that you agree with me. I don't like the way I wrote that post though. Plenty is such a bourgeois word. I should have used something more eloquent like "a myriad", "a plethora", "a bevy" or (my favorite) "a cornucopia of scopes..."
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post

any reccomendations?

this is for a .308 or a .30-06

Millett 4-16x50 Tactical Rifle scopes BK81008 / BK81001 FREE S&H BK81001, BK81008. Millett Riflescopes.
    You don't need a lot of scope for those cartridges. The KISS principle applies. What's required is something that holds zero with the reliability of gravity and doesn't require time consuming knob twisting when the game is visible for a few seconds. They are, in a practical hunting sense, 500 yard rifles. Scopes that can reliably (accurately) use range calibrated elevation knobs cost 4X to 8X as much as you want to spend. Think Night Force, Schmidt and Bender (the very best hunting scope made), Huskamaw, and the higher end Leupolds. Fortunately that isn't required at all for a .308 or .30-06 if you are going to use it to put meat in the freezer.

I have a 1953 Model 70 in .30-06. It's dropped a lot of deer, couple of Elk and a bear or two in it's time. My Dad shot the elk and Bear with it. I inherited it from him.

I have a Leupold 3-9x40mm VX-II with the LR Duplex Reticle on it now. My Deer load uses the Hornady 150g FBSP pushed by a max load of H4350. That load is near enough to perfect for that scope that the difference doesn't matter. Zeroed for POA = POI at 200 yards, with a bit of practice at the range to check things out, I find I can hit nicely within +/- 3" of POA from the muzzle to 500 yards, no knob twisting required.

With the 200 yard zero, point blank range on a deer (+/- 3" from LOS) is ~250 yards.

You can put a lot of meat in the freezer with that scope on either a .30-06 or .308. I prefer the -06 because I grew up with it, but they are both good general purpose cartridges.

There is no one cartridge that does it all, but with a .30-06 in the safe, one can add a nice bolt action .223 (like a CZ527 for example)

for ground hogs and other varmints and have 95% of all hunting covered with just two rifles. The CZ in the picture (with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III AO), shooting handloads with the 40g Nosler BT, is my go-to ground hog rifle. I reach in the safe to go ground hog hunting and that CZ seems to stick to my palm most of the time. I also have a CZ527 .22 Hornet and a Rem 700BDL in .17 Remington (for rocky pastures) but if you have good bolt action .30-06 and .223, you can take almost any game in the lower 48.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Links