My first 1911 experience... - Page 2

My first 1911 experience...

This is a discussion on My first 1911 experience... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Being a baby boomer and having grown up listening to the old vets say how the .45 auto wouldn't hit the broad side of a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My first 1911 experience...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Being a baby boomer and having grown up listening to the old vets say how the .45 auto wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn when standing inside of it, I was surprised many years later when I shot my first 1911. A fellow at a local "junkyard" shooting range let me shoot his and I was consistantly bouncing soda cans at 20-25 yards. Of course, he did admit that his had been "accurized," and I had nothing to compare it in regards to with an off-the-shelf model.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Yeah. Very similar experience yesterday; buddies 1911 could barely hit the target (aim low left of your target), where my 24/7 was dead on. He needs new sights on it, but it's not bad for being just out of the box.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    CDNN is advertising the PT1911 in 38 super for $400. Stainless is $450. I really like the 38 super round and capacity is 9+1 in a 1911.

At $400 the Taurus is a good buy. Once you get above $500 there are better options available. For around $800 you can get a loaded Springer.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

A .38 Super seems like a high powered 9mm (I just did a little research). While it sounds kinda nice, but... I like BIG holes in whatever I shoot. And, .38s just don't do it for me; there's not much difference between a .38/.380 and a 9mm. I know a .357mag isn't much different in diameter, but it has so much more punch than either of those rounds.

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Sponsor
    Ruger is now in the 1911 game also. They are showing an MSRP of $799 for a 100% American made 1911

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet
    ...listening to the old vets say how the .45 auto wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn when standing inside of it,...
    I've fired a few mil surp 1911s and even a couple issue weapons while in the army(not long before the 9mm was adopted) that had extremely worn bushings and shot out barrels. A good shot group was the size of the barn!
    Last edited by luvmy40; April 21st, 2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: typo
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Ruger is now in the 1911 game also. They are showing and MSRP of $799 for a 100% American made 1911

I've fired a few mil surp 1911s and even a couple issue weapons while in the army(not long before the 9mm was adopted) that had extremely worn bushings and shot out barrels. A good shot group was the size of the barn!
    That's the long-and-short of it.

Any decent 1911 will be just as accurate as any other autoloader if properly maintained.

I didn't jump on the 1911 bandwagon until roughly Christmas last year, got a Springfield "loaded" full size all steel. Now I'm already looking at lightweight commanders and other alternatives to the one I already have. I won't be getting rid of my Glocks, but I find I pay much more attention to the 1911 ads in magazines and online than I do to the polymer guns now. I can't believe I waited this long in life to actually own one, it just feels right in my hand.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

here's mine, I've got about 300 rounds through it. $575 before tax

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    That's the long-and-short of it.

Any decent 1911 will be just as accurate as any other autoloader if properly maintained.
    I am thinking it will be about $650 street price, so I feel it will be a bargin.

I got my first 1911 last month and I'm loving it. Dont know why I started with polymer guns but oh well.....

As for the missus, in my situation it was easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Although I wont be doing that again as it flew over like a lead balloon.

I just brought home a used Springer GI model for $460 out the door. Haven't shot it yet but expect to remedy that soon!! So glad the only question i get from my wife when I bring a new gun home is "When do WE get to go shoot it?"
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

Only problem I have with 1911's is I cant stop with just one. I admit I have a problem.
    RevolvingMag and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    Only problem I have with 1911's is I cant stop with just one. I admit I have a problem.
    I probably will too once I get started. Which is also why I can't get started. ...yet...

VIP Member
    1911's are like Lay's potato chips. No one can have just 1!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    Only problem I never minded having!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links