Suggestions??

Suggestions??

This is a discussion on Suggestions?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New member here, seems like a great site. I carry a full size Kimber 1911. I love this gun, but with me at 260 pounds ...

Thread: Suggestions??

Suggestions??

New member here, seems like a great site. I carry a full size Kimber 1911. I love this gun, but with me at 260 pounds I already carry enough weight on my waist and its just getting uncomfortable to carry on my waist. Esecially when sitting in my truck. I am considering getting a smaller gun to carry on my ankle. I really like the looks of the new Kimber Solo but am somewhat nervous about stepping down from a .45. Do those that carry their guns on their ankles feel comfortable with them their? Any suggestions would be appreciated, any other gun recommendations? Thanks Jason

What about a shoulder rig?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Not sure if that would be any better, I'm a t-shirt guy year round.

GM
    Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    What about a shoulder rig?
    ^^^Yep, it could perhaps work.^^^

I am not sure an ankle holster would be a very good idea.

I like Kimbers, but the Solo is a way too new gun and for that reason it might still have bugs. If I wanted a lightweight nine I should look at the Karl PM9 (15.9 oz with empty mag) or the Walter PPS (21.3 oz with empty mag). They are small and very easy to carry IWB, and both of them are very good firearms.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

What's your carry rig?

Do you have a good belt/holster combo? That's makes all the difference.

If you have the right rig, you can carry anything that you want.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Being a bigger guy myself, I would NOT reccomend ankle carry for someone our size for a primary gun. For a backup it would work, but not a primary. Pocket carry would probably be a good bet with that kimber solo, its nice and round, good solid round, and with the right holster you will forget its there
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

AS zacii said, your carry rig can make a world of difference. I'm pushing 60, have back problems as well as knee and hand problems. I can carry any of my guns all day without a problem. I carry anything from my primary commander size stainless 1911, down to a Ruger LC9. All are carried IWB.

I'm not a fan of ankle carry. I want something that I can get to easily and without giving away that I'm going for my gun. Ankle draw is quite obvious as to what your doing.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Try suspenders. Perry's are great. Look them up on Google. I always wear them when I carry. You can loosen your belt and let the weight be carried by the suspenders to any degree you like. Just adjust for comfort. I do 50-50, half held up by belt, half by the suspenders. World of difference! Perry hooks right on the belt, J-hook. On and off in 2 seconds.

Here: Welcome to the Perry Suspenders eStore

perrysuspenders_2154_8292303.jpgperrysuspenders_2127_20569245.jpg

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Being a bigger guy myself, I would NOT reccomend ankle carry for someone our size for a primary gun. For a backup it would work, but not a primary. Pocket carry would probably be a good bet with that kimber solo, its nice and round, good solid round, and with the right holster you will forget its there
    +1 for pocket carry. I'm 6', 260lbs. Broad shoulders, muffin top/gut effect going on. I can't comfortably pull off IWB, and ankle carry is too dang slow. Besides, we're getting into the hotter months. I'm in Richmond, Va and the humidity/heat means that shorts are a MUST.

I usually carry my Keltec p3at for when I'm more concerned about sitting (like at a table where people could see a "bulge") and my other EDC is a S&W 442 .38SP revolver. Another great thing about pocket carry (has been mentioned in other threads) is you can casually slip your hand in your pocket and be prepared to draw if you think you may need to.

I also use Perrys suspenders for my jeans. B/c my shape, when I sit down even with a belt my jeans tend to come off my tail, so it keeps them in place and is pretty comfortable.

Welcome to the forum.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    What's your carry rig?

Do you have a good belt/holster combo? That's makes all the difference.

If you have the right rig, you can carry anything that you want.
    I carry my 1911 in an IWB holster, the more I think about it the more I think I just need a smaller gun.

What do you guys think about the Kahr PM45?

Links