PCSing & firearms

PCSing & firearms

This is a discussion on PCSing & firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i am about to PCS to germany and i have firearms. TMO tells me i can ship them there and just put them in the ...

Thread: PCSing & firearms

PCSing & firearms

i am about to PCS to germany and i have firearms.

TMO tells me i can ship them there and just put them in the armory. which is originally what i wanted.

the shipping company in charge of my household goods told me they cannot and most importantly WILL NOT ship my firearms. he then told me he will double check with his regulations and get back to me. i instructed me to double check with TMO. to which i did and they told me the same thing. to inform the shippers you have firearms you want to ship and they will take care of them.

now my problem is i leave the very same day my household goods are being packed and shipped. so if i don't have a solution by then, i'm not about to leave my guns here.

i thought about leaving them with a trusted friend. most are not going to be in the area in 3-4 years, others just don't have room in their safes. one friend however is joining the air force soon. he would leave them to his father. his father is soon to be moving to GA once my friend leaves for the air force. his father is gun friendly but doesn't own any. so i'm a bit weary. but he said he would do it for me. my friend said if he ends up in a reasonable restrictions state he would gladly take them back until i get back. he's trying to get back to FL... there are just to many ifs in this situation but probably the best solution so far.

another option was to store them in the armory on THIS, the current base i am at. they are telling me i will have to call back monday to check with the NCOIC of that section. the airman in charge doesn't know right now. he said they are short on space and long term storage might be a problem.

another option the household goods shipper said is to store them in the non-temporary storage the air force provides. however, they have not contacted me yet and i don't even know who they are, so i don't know how to get in contact with them.

if you're thinking why don't i give them to my parents, my mom is against them and they live in the anti gun state of illinois.

my main concern is i'm running short on time. are there ANY other options out there for long term storage... say 3-4 years, if not longer.

VIP Member
    Rules have changed over the years. When I was stationed in Germany back in the mid 70's lshotguns were no problem shipping. At the time I didn't have any handguns to worry about.

Long term storage facilities are an option, however you need to insure the facility is climate controlled, othewise you could come back to a rusted gun. I don't think storing in the base armory is going to be an option, since you are not assigned there any longer.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I just PCSd here to Germany (Ramstein) last April.

BLUF: Keep your firearms CONUS.

You cannot ship them and then put them in the armory--unfortunately, those times are behind us.

What you need to do, is keep them with someone CONUS. Get settled here in Germany, then go through the process to get your firearm owner permit. This training lasts about 6-8 months and costs upwards of $2K...training is through a gun club (dues are more $$/year or month)....to complete the paperwork requires more documentation than if you were going to apply for a permit to carry for NYC or NJ....plus medical and psychological screening.

Then--if you get this process completed, before you can own firearms in your home, you have to have a gov't approved safe. Note: if you live off-base/post--the German authorities have the authority to inspect your safe at any time...whether you are home or not....whether you are awake or not....no 4A protections. All in all, it will take about a year to complete the process before you can ship your firearms from home to Germany (and a separate process altogether). Unless you are planning to spend 4+ years here, I wouldn't waste time and money that can be better spent travelling Europe.

I, too, was from the atrocity of a state we call Illinois. Do not keep them in the Armory...seriously....do not do this. If you can't put your hands on them at least once a month when they are in the armory, there is no limit as to what could happen to them.

I would check out a climate-controlled, long-term storage facility--do NOT tell them you are storing guns....or you will find your stuff missing. Get your gun insured while you are gone (mine are insured through USAA while they with my brother in another state). The next bet would be an FFL in the area who can hold on to them....just a thought.

PM me if you have any further questions.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    if you are PCS'ing, you are authorized to put some or all of your stuff in long term storage--at gov't expense--our was in long-term storage for 5 years. I bought a good quality (HEAVY) safe--put all the weapons in silicone-impregnated bags from Cabela's. After 5 years--they came out in perfect condition.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

thank you all for the responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I just PCSd here to Germany (Ramstein) last April.

BLUF: Keep your firearms CONUS.

You cannot ship them and then put them in the armory--unfortunately, those times are behind us.

What you need to do, is keep them with someone CONUS. Get settled here in Germany, then go through the process to get your firearm owner permit. This training lasts about 6-8 months and costs upwards of $2K...training is through a gun club (dues are more $$/year or month)....to complete the paperwork requires more documentation than if you were going to apply for a permit to carry for NYC or NJ....plus medical and psychological screening.

Then--if you get this process completed, before you can own firearms in your home, you have to have a gov't approved safe. Note: if you live off-base/post--the German authorities have the authority to inspect your safe at any time...whether you are home or not....whether you are awake or not....no 4A protections. All in all, it will take about a year to complete the process before you can ship your firearms from home to Germany (and a separate process altogether). Unless you are planning to spend 4+ years here, I wouldn't waste time and money that can be better spent travelling Europe.

I, too, was from the atrocity of a state we call Illinois. Do not keep them in the Armory...seriously....do not do this. If you can't put your hands on them at least once a month when they are in the armory, there is no limit as to what could happen to them.

I would check out a climate-controlled, long-term storage facility--do NOT tell them you are storing guns....or you will find your stuff missing. Get your gun insured while you are gone (mine are insured through USAA while they with my brother in another state). The next bet would be an FFL in the area who can hold on to them....just a thought.

PM me if you have any further questions.
    Ramstein ay? that's where i'll be. 86th maintenance sq.

i was looking into the permit process a while back and already decided not to go through with it. it's just not worth it. i was talking to a neighbor yesterday, he said he has some space for my guns. they seem like really great people. they have guns, they love hunting.... they're the stereotypical southern folk. very friendly.. i've known them for a few years now so i think i can trust them. thanks again for your replies.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Don't loan money (or guns) to friends. That's a sure way to lose both, the friends and the loan.

You should have access to long-term storage of personal property with any overseas PCS move. Check with TMO on that. Other than that, I'd check into renting an environmetally controlled commercial storage unit, pay the 4-year (or more) fee in advance, take out an ins. policy on them and put a monster lock on the storage unit. Make sure you leave mulitple means of contact with the storage company (including parents or friends who will maintain direct contact with you).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Not directly related to your problem but a suggestion for long-term storage. If you vacuum pack your firearms along with a rust inhibitor such as VCI paper when you return they will be rust free. When I was in the Air Force I was on a detail to unpack, inspect and reseal some firearms that had been stored for ten years, all were good as new and free of rust even stored in less than ideal conditions. Using the rolls for the Food Saver you can cut them to fit any variety of firearms, just be sure to pad any sharp edges to prevent piercing the bag.

FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer - Official Manufacturer's Web Site - CLICK for Free Shipping Offer.

VCI Paper
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Your post Rod & Gun club can get you the instruction for obtaining your German weapons card much cheaper than on the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Not directly related to your problem but a suggestion for long-term storage. If you vacuum pack your firearms along with a rust inhibitor such as VCI paper when you return they will be rust free. When I was in the Air Force I was on a detail to unpack, inspect and reseal some firearms that had been stored for ten years, all were good as new and free of rust even stored in less than ideal conditions. Using the rolls for the Food Saver you can cut them to fit any variety of firearms, just be sure to pad any sharp edges to prevent piercing the bag.

FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer - Official Manufacturer's Web Site - CLICK for Free Shipping Offer.

VCI Paper
    These may fit the bill also, depending on how many firearms you have it could get a bit pricey. Vapor Barrier Anti-Corrosion Firearm Storage & Preservation Bags - ZCORR Products

I also agree with the others about getting a long-term storage unit if TMO won't store them from you. Unless you have someone you can absolutely trust with your firearms, don't give them to a third party. Definitely do whatever you can to keep them out of the armory, especially if you can't check up on them at regular intervals. I have heard a lot of stories about what goes on in the armory with peoples' weapons and firerams being damaged or turning up missing. You don't really have much recourse if something does happen either, forget being compensated at best that kid is going to get some paperwork.

Sponsored Links