Is +P ammo ok for 1966 Colt .45

This is a discussion on Is +P ammo ok for 1966 Colt .45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Those pistols were introduced in 1957 as the Colt Gold Cup National Match (standard catalog item, they were not built by the military), OD, after ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is +P ammo ok for 1966 Colt .45

1943 - 2009
    Those pistols were introduced in 1957 as the Colt Gold Cup National Match (standard catalog item, they were not built by the military),
    OD, after seeing the pics, I agree. Based on quantum's first post, it sounded like this pistol was a bullseye gun built by one of the service arsenals or marksmanship units.

Still, it's a very fine piece and the price he paid was a very good deal!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

I don't know how accurate they are, but on www.coltautos.com
    they list serials from 16600-NM to 19499-NM as made in 1966.

The pistol did not have a case or anything else. Only one mag. I don't know if the grips are original or not, but they do have Gold Colt symbol on them.

It also seems to me that the magazine does not come apart. (or does it?)

It has some wear on it so its been fired many times. However it still shoots absolutely well.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I agree CC , I had to see the pics myself as i have seen both variatys just termed as a " National Match "

Quantom NO them aint the panels lol , IIRC it should have full checker hardwood panels with the colt logo . That to me looks like aftermarket pachmeiers . The mag will come apart but its tricky , load 3 rounds in it , put a nail thro the top witness hole you can see , unload the rounds , then you can " shake " the follower out thro the front top of the mag ( it kinda angles a bit to fit thro , enabled by the spring not holding it upright ) then carefully , no i mean REALLY carefully point the mag in a safe direction , holding it with a cloth wrapped over the top and gripped in the hand holding the mag body , pull out the nail holding the spring , it can then be wiggled out , use compressed air or compressed solivent ( such as carb cleaner or whateaver ) inside to help loosten gunk , scrub well with a brass brush and solivent such as hoppies , blow dry with air ( canned air for computers is fine if you dont have a compressor ) then reassemble in reverse , it can be tricky to get the follower back in at first . so good luck .
    Last edited by Redneck Repairs; July 25th, 2006 at 01:05 PM.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

OD*
    quantum36,

Do you have a link to Sam's serial numbers? The numbers I posted were taken from Clawson's book on Commercial Models (NMs, GC, Govt.).

The stocks are not original to the pistol, they should be walnut with the gold medallion.

How familiar are you with the 1911 based pistols?
    Pull your slide and look at the under side and see if it is skeletonized, if it is, I wouldn't even use a lot of standard hardball in it without new a new recoil spring in the 16# to 17# range.
    Last edited by OD*; July 25th, 2006 at 01:13 PM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Red, CC ...

The arsenal built National Match pistols you gentlemen are thinking of, were built on USGI frames. The Army did purchase a limited number of Gold Cups though (Federal Stock Number 1005-591-8046).

~ Tiger McKee

Yea OD a friend of mine has two of the arsenal built NM and a " flock" of gold cups and pre gold cup nm pistols . He does not as far as i know have any army purchaced nm pistols tho .

To me the first visual cues are 1. slide , the commercial has slanted cocking serrations and a flat rib , the arsenal has neither . and 2. the trigger . Commercial has a wide , skelitonised trigger , the arsenal will typicaly ( in what i have seen ) have a solid trigger that may be either short or long .

I could be wrong , or confused , just thought i would note that for correciton as necessairy .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

OD,

I'm not familiar at all with 1911's. This is my first "actual" 1911.

I bought a Springfield Armory 1911 .45 High Capacity model about 6 months ago (pre-XD proto-type I bet), and it is a piece of junk. Constantly jams.

Your Clawson's book on serial numbers is probably more reliable.

Redneck,
    thanks for the instructions on how to take apart magazine. It does look a little dirty in there, but not bad.

Quantum I think i can safely say that OD and i both agree one of the first things you should do is pick up a new recoil spring in the 16 to 17 lb range ( they are cheap and fyi 17lb is the standard weight for a 5" if i am not mistaken ) . Depending on the slide , and just who had it and what use they put it to it may have any of a variaty of springs in it ( from about 14 lb thro 22lb ) , and to take care of it properly i personaly would replace the spring with a known weight. Since 17 is standard i would go with that , but if recoil/muzzle flip is a problem with that , you could soften it up to 16 ( i know that statement dont make sense lol ) .

OD*
    To me the first visual cues are 1. slide , the commercial has slanted cocking serrations and a flat rib , the arsenal has neither . and 2. the trigger . Commercial has a wide , skelitonised trigger , the arsenal will typicaly ( in what i have seen ) have a solid trigger that may be either short or long .
    Yes sir, those would be pistols built in or after 1957. The originals, (produced between C162000 and C215083) Colt Government Model National Match pistols looked exactly like a standard Commercial Model with the exception of the National Match rollmarkings on the right side of the slide.

~ Tiger McKee

OK OD , i guess i just have not " taken note " of the earlyer civilian ones , I know i have to have seen some over the years , but i am far from a 1911 expert , or collector , i just like the hell out of em and normaly have some vairaint of the action arround lol .

Redneck,
    I do have a new 18.5 lb spring that I put in the junk SA 1911, hoping it would fix jamming problem. It didn't.

I bought the spring from Wolff springs and is designed for Colt 1911.

Will that be to strong?

OD*
    Don't use an 18.5# spring in that classic.
    Get a factory 16# or bump up to 17# at the most.

~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Can you get a picture of the underside of the slide for us?

~ Tiger McKee

I'll get a pic of the underside of slide tonight, and will post tomorrow (don't have computer at home)

I'll order a 16# spring from Wolff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links