Seecamp help!!!!! Please!!!!

This is a discussion on Seecamp help!!!!! Please!!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is there anyone who would wish to talk me out of purchasing a Seecamp .32 tomorrow? I want a gun to carry when I otherwise ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seecamp help!!!!! Please!!!!

Seecamp help!!!!! Please!!!!

Is there anyone who would wish to talk me out of purchasing a Seecamp .32 tomorrow? I want a gun to carry when I otherwise wouldn't be able to carry a "real" gun. I know it's picky about the ammo you feed it and I know it's a smaller than ideal caliber. I'm mainly interested in any negative, first-hand experiences with this particular firearm manufacturer, due to mechanical failures of any kind--especially if the experience was with a model purchased recently.

Thank you all so much for your help! :)
    Last edited by SWEDISHLASER; April 25th, 2011 at 11:43 PM.

2. Remove Ads

My personal experience has been flawless, but many non owners will step up to grant your wish!
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If you can't carry a Ruger LCP and your only option is a Seecamp 32, then I say go for it. Load that little devil with Buffalo Bore 75-grain Hardcast F.N. 32+P ammo and you can get the job done at close range. Just make sure to practice shooting your Seecamp 32 at the upper torso, neck and head for maximum stopping power. I believe the Seecamp 32 is a great pistol, despite its sub-par stopping power.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Do you have experience with that load in a Seecamp? It is not on the Seecamp recommended ammo list.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    If you can't carry a Ruger LCP and your only option is a Seecamp 32, then I say go for it. Load that little devil with Buffalo Bore 75-grain Hardcast F.N. 32+P ammo and you can get the job done at close range. Just make sure to practice shooting your Seecamp 32 at the upper torso, neck and head for maximum stopping power. I believe the Seecamp 32 is a great pistol, despite its sub-par stopping power.
    Last edited by ICTsnub; April 25th, 2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: More info

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Is there any reason you feel the LCP is superior as far as reliability is concerned? Or is it mainly personal preference? Thanks :)

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    My personal experience has been flawless, but many non owners will step up to grant your wish!
    Thanks, ICTsnub! I was wondering if you would chime in. I've been following your comments on the Seecamp for a few weeks now, before I finally joined the forum today. I've really got the Seecamp bug bad, I just want to make sure my excitement isn't hindering my judgment. lol

I'm flattered. I also carry .357s and .45s. It's just a tool, I also own ball pein hammers from 8 oz to 48 oz.

And welcome to DC!

Quote Originally Posted by SWEDISHLASER View Post
    Is there anyone who would wish to talk me out of purchasing a Seecamp .32 tomorrow? I want a gun to carry when I otherwise wouldn't be able to carry a "real" gun. I know it's picky about the ammo you feed it and I know it's a smaller than ideal caliber. I'm mainly interested in any negative, first-hand experiences with this particular firearm manufacturer, do to mechanical failures of any kind--most especially if the experience was with a model purchased recently.
    Swedishlaser: Don't do it!

Pros: Seecamp .32 has a known history of quality and reliability. That's the good news.

Cons: 1. Magazine restricted to hollowpoint cartridges only -- you'll be practicing at the range with expensive loads.
    2. The small .32 round is a marginal defensive round, even when fired from a 4" barrel. From the 2" barrel of a Seecamp bullet velocity is further reduced, limiting the potential for bullet expansion.
    3. No sights; very small grip difficult to hold; bottom magazine release is slow and awkward, slowing the reload time; very heavy trigger pull (11.5 lbs.).

The Seecamp is not a manstopper. It's better than no weapon because it will discourage some robbers. However, if someone is determined, very angry, or on drugs -- they'll kill you even though you put 6 holes in them, believe me. I strongly suggest you use the extra money you'll be wasting at the shooting range on expensive hollowpoints -- to purchase a very reliable, high quality and accurate Kahr PM9 (9mm). The PM9 is also a pocket pistol -- but has 3.5 times greater velocity and stopping power than the .32 Seecamp. Saving your life is worth it, isn't it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
    If guns cause crimes, then all my guns must be defective.

Not quite right. Seecamp has an FMJ .32 on the recommended ammo list.

The Seecamp IS a reload, or the gun you carry when you can't carry, so the heel clip doesn't bug me.

I'm not up for a caliber war, so I'll wash on that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio Lobo View Post

Pros: Seecamp .32 has a known history of quality and reliability. That's the good news.

Cons: 1. Magazine restricted to hollowpoint cartridges only -- you'll be practicing at the range with expensive loads.
    2. The small .32 round is a marginal defensive round, even when fired from a 4" barrel. From the 2" barrel of a Seecamp bullet velocity is further reduced, limiting the potential for bullet expansion.
    3. No sights; very small grip difficult to hold; bottom magazine release is slow and awkward, slowing the reload time; very heavy trigger pull (11.5 lbs.).

The Seecamp is not a manstopper. It's better than no weapon because it will discourage some robbers. If someone is determined, very angry, or on drugs -- they'll kill you even though you put 6 holes in them, believe me. I strongly suggest you use the extra money you'll be wasting at the shooting range on expensive hollowpoints -- to purchase a Kahr PM9 (9mm). The PM9 is also a pocket pistol -- but has 3.5 times greater velocity and stopping power than the .32 Seecamp. Saving your life is worth it, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rio Lobo View Post

The Seecamp is not a manstopper. It's better than no weapon because it will discourage some robbers. However, if someone is determined, very angry, or on drugs -- they'll kill you even though you put 6 holes in them, believe me. I strongly suggest you use the extra money you'll be wasting at the shooting range on expensive hollowpoints -- to purchase a very reliable, high quality and accurate Kahr PM9 (9mm). The PM9 is also a pocket pistol -- but has 3.5 times greater velocity and stopping power than the .32 Seecamp. Saving your life is worth it, isn't it?
    I appreciate your reply, Rio Lobo, however I feel that if my wardrobe can accommodate the Kahr then I'd much rather carry my Ruger SP101 .357 with 125 grain man-stoppers, or my G19. They aren't that hard to conceal, after all (in fact, I'm carrying the sp101 now with a t-shirt and shorts). I want something that's invisible for those times when nothing else, short of going unarmed, will do. I feel the kahr is not a true pocket pistol and it would be slightly conspicuous in the pocket of my business casual slacks, which are also not pleated since I'm still in my 20's and I prefer to keep up with the basic fashion trends of my age group. Not to sound vain, but it's important. lol:

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Not quite right. Seecamp has an FMJ .32 on the recommended ammo list.

The Seecamp IS a reload, or the gun you carry when you can't carry, so the heel clip doesn't bug me.

I'm not up for a caliber war, so I'll wash on that point.

ICTsnub:

.32 acp hollowpoints loaded in a magazine that will accommodate the OAL of a FMJ -- this subject opens up a real can of worms.

Unless that Win 4255 FMJ has an OAL of .908 or less -- using a magazine that will accommodate full length FMJs and hollowpoints, the "rim lock" phenomenon can occur. This is an issue that affects all .32 acp pistol mags. It is unique to the unusual rim of the .32 acp.

Swedishlaser, you must read the Seecamp precautions about "rim lock" from the Seecamp website (shown below) if you intend to use .32 acp magazines that will fit FMJs as well as hollowpoints. For self-defense carry, it would be best to get .32 acp magazines that only accommodate hollowpoints. Buy separate magazines (for range use only) that will accommodate the full length FMJs.

Seecamp link: L.W. Seecamp Co. - Home of the Seecamp 32 and Seecamp 380 Pistols

"Magazines start out with ammo preferences and will in time also develop ammo preferences. A magazine designed to accommodate ball ammo invites rim lock and other feed failures with hollow points due to excessive front to back slop, and a magazine that is regularly used with a particular type of ammunition will adapt to form a liking for that configuration just as shoes eventually adjust to a pair of feet.

At the time we began manufacturing the LWS.32 we were the only game in town on small .32ACP pistols and Winchester was the only viable option on hollow points. Kurt Canon of Glaser fame, with whom I regularly talked, quickly introduced the .32 Safety Slug in direct response to the LWS.32. The next kid on the block was Magsafe, followed years later respectively by Hydra Shok, Gold Dot, Corbon and Hornady.

When Federal first unveiled the 65 grain .32 Hydra Shok the cartridges would not fit in our magazines without binding although the overall length of the Hydra Shok round was identical to that of Silvertip. The folks at Federal apparently forgot to take into account the larger Hydra Shok cup required more clearance at the magazine wall radius. I tried some of these early rounds and recommended against them at the time. Federal has since fixed the problem by seating Hydra Shok bullets deeper into the case.

The LWS .32 was designed around the Silvertip cartridge. Initially, we tried to get the pistol to shoot everything, including ball ammo.

We quickly learned, however, that the problem of potential jams caused by random shuffling of rounds within a magazine because of excess play, now popularly referred to as rim lock, was something we had to take seriously. Rather than to have a pistol that marginally functioned with a variety of ammo, we opted to produce one that was maximally reliable with Silvertips ~ the only hollow point available to us at the time. For this reason, we provided spacers for our magazines."

Rio, that's a rather selective quote about the design of the gun from the website. You missed this while you were there.

LWS .32 AMMO UPDATE 12/22/09:

We recommend the following ammunition: Winchester Silvertips, Winchester Q4255 71 gr. FMJ, Hornady 60 grain SJH/XTP, Speer Gold Dot, or Federal Hydra Shoks.

Not enough known: Magsafe (no personal experience, varied feedback from customers); RCBD (No personal experience); Corbon (I have seen a bullet separate from the case on emptying the chamber. The rounds from this box had an uneven bulge around the case mouth and were not completely concentric with the case.).

Go for it! You're asking the question and not really wanting to be talked out of it...

And I can recommend an awesome holster maker too: www.mecopocketholsters.com

Mine - tejus lizard

my husband's - alligator:

ICTsnub:

I didn't miss anything. If you'll re-read my post, I specifically referenced the Win 4255 FMJ -- and recommendations for range-only magazines...... and using hollowpoints (in the Seecamp magazine with the spacer) for self-defense carry. (Note: Unfortunately, the Winchester website does not disclose the OAL of the 4255 FMJ).

Furthermore, "rim lock" has nothing to do with the design of the gun itself. It has everything to do with the magazine -- jams that fail to feed due to the improperly staggered hollowpoints (due to front to back slop). The Seecamp website reference is a poorly written description of "rim lock". You can find some in-depth research on the "rim lock" issue at websites that are more willing to disclose the cause of .32 acp "rim-lock" jams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links