Defensive Carry banner

Lapping Scope Rings

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  redrick 
#1 ·
I am up grading the scopes on my rifles, so I bought a lapping kit.

The first rifle I am starting with is my new 10/22.

I bought a Talley base and ring combination mount.

Now my question. After installing the mounts, I put the alignment tool inside the rings and they lined up perfect. Do I still need to lap the rings ?

#3 ·
Different tools for different jobs. The alignment tool is to straighten/align the rings, the lapping rod is to smooth the inside of the rings so that there is more contact btwn the scope and the rings - otherwise, the rings only contact the scope at smallish contact points putting pressure on the scope tube and possibly scratching/denting it. You only need about (I think) 70% contact (when the inner part of the rings are shiny), or you risk taking off too much and you'll never be able to tighten the rings around the scope. Remember the saying "you can always take more off, putting it back on is a lot harder", heed these words. A quicker way to achieve both goals is to use Burris Signature rings with Pos-Align inserts. Also remember you only need about 63 in-lbs of torque on the ring screws, double check that number - it's been awhile. Many scopes getting screwed up b/c the rings are torqued down too much. The Burris system also allows you to use offset inserts instead of a 20 MOA scope base if you get into really long range shooting or use the inserts to center your scope to the bore (gross adjustments) as opposed to using up your scope's windage and elevation adjustments - the reticle stays closer to the center of the scope tube.

#5 ·
If you're going to that extent with your 10/22, then you need to look into the 10/22 "bump" - read here: The Ruger Receiver Bump and Scope Rail Mounting - PerfectUnion Firearms Forum

Good to bypass the little mount that came with the gun and go for something more substantial. I used the B-Square mount with Burris signature rings. Then I went slowly, torqued things up with a low-range torque wrench in several passes. The results were impressive (and probably luck played a significant factor!). The gun was a late-model receiver that got a Green Mountain 18" fluted barrel, trigger work, and a Bushnell 3200 scope.

With NO sighter or "get it on paper first" shots, random ammo in the mag, the attached photo shows the results of the first 7 rounds thru the gun (50 yards).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.