380 misfeed

380 misfeed

This is a discussion on 380 misfeed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Bersa Thunder 380. I decided on this gun because of the stories of reliability and budget restraints at the time. The magazine ...

Thread: 380 misfeed

380 misfeed

I have a Bersa Thunder 380. I decided on this gun because of the stories of reliability and budget restraints at the time. The magazine is 6+1 but I have found if I put 6 in the magazine I get a misfeed on the 2nd or 3rd round. If I put in 5 it performs perfectly. Anyone experience this or have suggestions?

The magazine spring is really tight and just might need using or It may not be the magazine. Is the gun new ? Tear the gun down. You may have to polish the feedramp/ejection port.
    Another thing would be if you are limp wristing the gun.

Assistant Administrator
    Mine (now wife's - and a friend's and daughter's) all have been fine even with full mags.

But yes, do check feedramp for smooth and - it is IMO worth a take down of mag's (mag) - to ensure the follower is dead smooth all way thru its travel, remove any excess lube because mag needs to be all but dry IMO. Check too that top coil of spring goes back in with angle to match follower angle.

Could be too that if mag spring loses a small amount of its strength over time, that top round will strip easier. Continue to shoot it a lot - chances are things will ease and bed in and improve.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have not experienced this problem in mine, but I agree with the previous advice.

Are you using a factory mag? There have been problems using the Promag's in this.

If you don't get the problem resolved, Bersa has a great warranty on their products and you can send it in to them.

Good luck and don't give up. It's a great pistol.
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstogo
    I have a Bersa Thunder 380. I decided on this gun because of the stories of reliability and budget restraints at the time. The magazine is 6+1 but I have found if I put 6 in the magazine I get a misfeed on the 2nd or 3rd round. If I put in 5 it performs perfectly. Anyone experience this or have suggestions?
    A) There are no 6 round mags for the Bersa thunder. There are 7, 9, and 10 round magazines available at this time.

B) Had you just gotten it? Field strip it, and clean it real well. IDK what they pack it in, but, I took mine directly from the gunshop to the range w/o cleaning, and I had the very same problem... Lemme know, if you need tips on how to field strip it....

C) Mags may be dirty. Take 'em apart, and clean 'em... There's a button-like thing, on the bottom of the mags, push it in with a carkey or a screwdriver, or something, and then you can slide the floorplate out towards the back of the mag. Try to remember, that the mag is under spring pressure, and the spring WILL fly out....

Hope at least some of that may help...
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Just a thought , its handy to wrap any spring loaded part in cloth ( a tea towell or an old t shirt , or a shoprag ... whateaver ) when disassembling .. You will look for less parts that way , and possibly not have a scatch on your glasses , forehead , or other parts it was " aimed " at lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Great advise. I appreciate the help. The gun is still relatively new. I have put a little over 500 rounds through. I clean it after every visit to the range. Also, PgSqlQuery, it is a 7 round mag. I have just been shooting 6 because of the misfeeds. When I put 7 rounds in they go in very tight. I thought it might be a spring problem. I will continue to work with it, I really like the gun. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    Just a thought , its handy to wrap any spring loaded part in cloth ( a tea towell or an old t shirt , or a shoprag ... whateaver ) when disassembling .. You will look for less parts that way , and possibly not have a scatch on your glasses , forehead , or other parts it was " aimed " at lol .
    NOOOW you tell me!

I've got a worthless .25 here, because of that :(

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstogo
    Great advise. I appreciate the help. The gun is still relatively new. I have put a little over 500 rounds through. I clean it after every visit to the range. Also, PgSqlQuery, it is a 7 round mag. I have just been shooting 6 because of the misfeeds. When I put 7 rounds in they go in very tight. I thought it might be a spring problem. I will continue to work with it, I really like the gun. Thanks again.
    How many mags do you have?

Are they made by Bersa, or someone else? (You'll know, because non-bersa mags cost appx $40 ea)

I think you implied that you only have one.... It SHOULD be covered under warranty, so, you may want to try springing for a new one to use, while the orig. mag is on it's way back to Bersa... :) (Plus, getting a second mag for a carry gun has SOOOOO many advantages....)

Quote Originally Posted by PgSqlQuery
    A) There are no 6 round mags for the Bersa thunder.
    Dont the new concealed carry versions have a 6 round mag? Im not completely sure because ive never personally messed with one but thats what I heard.

Oh wait, nevermind. They do have the 7 shot mags. Just a flat floorplate on them instead of the finger rest. I should have done my homework before I posted. oops.

I have two mags. The original with the gun and a 9 round also made by Bersa. They both load tight and have misfed when full.

VIP Member
    Hey, Gunstogo, I just joined Bersatalk to try to find some answers for my wife. None involving misfeeds, but one of the members there is a gunsmith at the factory authorized repair center in CO. You can probably get some real good help there.

http://bersatalk.com
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Here's another good website:

http://www.geocities.com/bersa_thunder/
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

Sponsored Links