A little force on force training....

This is a discussion on A little force on force training.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Did a little force on force training a few Saturdays ago. It was fun and educational to boot. We used Airsoft Beretta and 1911 replicas ...

Thread: A little force on force training....

A little force on force training....

Did a little force on force training a few Saturdays ago. It was fun and educational to boot. We used Airsoft Beretta and 1911 replicas which was good for me as I own both and carry both on occasion so I was familiar with both platforms. By the way, the word “soft” in Airsoft is a misnomer. Nothing soft about them, they can leave quite a welt. What I pretty much took away from this was the old adage, “If you don’t have the gun in your hand when the trouble starts you will not have time to get to it before being injured or killed”. Even with it in hand in 21’ and the majority 10’ or less you will sustain some type of injury anyway even though you get shots off and on target. Your best defense is good situational awareness and keep moving away from your assailant.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

A good FoF session is a learning experience.
    I would suggest, that at less than 10', sometimes moving obliquely toward the aggressor is a better tactic than trying to move away from him. It causes a greater correction factor on the part of the aggressor.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A good FoF session is a learning experience.
    I would suggest, that at less than 10', sometimes moving obliquely toward the aggressor is a better tactic than trying to move away from him. It causes a greater correction factor on the part of the aggressor.
    Good point. To clarify I meant realize you may be in potential danger and move away before the attack starts.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    It is an eye opener, Joe. I use 8 airsoft 1911's for the "last man standing" stuff. I have yet to see a participant be able to close one eye when aiming. Most of the time point shooting carries the day. Good wraparound eye protection is a must, but little red welts on the chin keep the adrenaline flowing. Assuming cover is unavailable, if you imagine a circle around the BG, and you're standing on its perimeter or circumference, the fastest way to create angular separation, and disrupt BG’s aim, is to explode around that circumference to BG’s strong side. When the starting distance to BG is near, tighten your circle to close from the side for flanking CQB.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

A good FoF course is on my bucket list!
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I *love* Force-on-Force training.

I've also been an airsoft hobbyist since 1999, so, with that in-mind just a little bit of help to my fellow FoF fans and law-abiding CC-citizens: please think about going with paintball or airsoft-specific eye/face protection. I've seen the destruction these things can do at close-range, and it's not pretty. Chipped teeth, teeth actually getting knocked out, split nostril or lip, an earlobe lost, BBs "sneaking in" around the perimeter of wrap-around shooting glasses. I've heard of these from trusted friends, if not seen them with my own eyes. It happens.

Please know that these are not uncommon outcomes, when things close to within 10 yards.

And yes, this is with un-modified airsoft replicas, shooting typical 6mm BBs.

While a paintball mask will not completely cover you from the chin/chest area unless you use a protector, it still makes entry of the BB from that angle much less likely. Given the cost of paintball masks these days and their easy availability, I truly believe that it's both worth the expense to pursue this added protection, and they detract minimally from the scenario, taking out only facial features.

Also, if you haven't already, consider looking into the RAM line. I was recently introduced to these devices via my instructor at LMI (NE-Ohio). Realism is on-par with airsoft, but there is much more force to be had with the impact of the .43 (? IIRC) caliber rubber balls, which makes the scenario much more realistic, in my view, given the added stress of at least some physical discomfort.

The RAM devices should also carry advantages for those who live in colder climates, as even spring and fall clothing can often more than dull - if not completely hide - the felt impact of airsoft BBs of either 6 or 8mm varieties. Additionally, in being fed liquid CO2, that also carries velocity/consistency/function advantages for those of us in colder areas.

Links