Question for those with a home based FFL

This is a discussion on Question for those with a home based FFL within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you have a home based FFL, were you required to get a letter from your city specifically stating that you are allowed to operate ...

Thread: Question for those with a home based FFL

Question for those with a home based FFL

If you have a home based FFL, were you required to get a letter from your city specifically stating that you are allowed to operate that type of business, or was a copy of the relevant city ordinance sufficient? I also (unfortunately) live in a neighborhood with an HOA, so the same question applies regarding the HOA.

I believe that based on my city's codes and my HOA covenants that I would be legally allowed to have an FFL at my home address, but I'm not so sure I can get them both to give me an official letter to that effect.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I live outside of city limits so it wasn't an issue. One of the things that the ATF does before issuing you a license is to check local city ordinances to ensure compliance.
    Basically, if it isn't against the law, then they will issue. If you do need a permit for a business, you must have that covered and you must show proof before they give it to you.
    As for the HOA covenant,you shouldn't need a letter. If they don't object then it's not an issue. I did have to inform my sheriff that I was getting an FFL though.
    He just laughed and asked what took me so long.

The ATF IOI's are usually pretty helpful,contrary to popular belief. For them, for you to get an FFL is more job security. They'll walk you though the process and let you know what you need or don't need.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links