Wanna Buy a Gun - On the Terrorist Watch List - NO PROBLEMO

This is a discussion on Wanna Buy a Gun - On the Terrorist Watch List - NO PROBLEMO within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This one is interesting. Almost 250 people on the terrorist watch list legally bought guns last year. 247 people on terror watch list buy guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Wanna Buy a Gun - On the Terrorist Watch List - NO PROBLEMO

VIP Member

This one is interesting. Almost 250 people on the terrorist watch list legally bought guns last year.

247 people on terror watch list buy guns in 2010

And here are some very problematic quotes from the article:

"Lautenberg and two dozen other members of Congress want the attorney general to have the authority to prevent someone on the terror watch list from buying a gun if the attorney general believes that person will use it in a terrorist act."

'"This is a homeland security issue, not a gun issue, and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to stop a terrorist from buying a dangerous weapon in the United States," Lautenberg told the AP.'
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Lautenberg's definition of a potential terrorist - anyone who buys a gun from an FFL or legal private party sale. The idea may be to use the NICS system as a basis for the "domestic terrorist" list. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't trust him or those who stand with him.
    Naufragia and bmcgilvray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Lautenberg's definition of a potential terrorist - anyone who buys a gun from an FFL or legal private party sale. The idea may be to use the NICS system as a basis for the "domestic terrorist" list. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't trust him or those who stand with him.
    Exactly. We've already seen four-year-old boys on the "no-fly list," from which it is nearly impossible to be removed. Now this. Eric Holder refuses to acknowledge that Islamic terrorism is even a problem. Guess who the "terrorists" he'll be going after will be?

Senior Moderator
    Do you know what the criteria for being placed on the terrorist watch list it?

Neither do I.....
    bmcgilvray and JOHNSMITH like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post

Neither do I.....
    I'll bet it will be a whole lot easier to make the list than you would think.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member

Neither do I.....
    From the article "The watch list is secret and generated at the government's discretion. It is not a list of people convicted of terrorism crimes."

Orwell, 1984, Animal Farm - what other cliches come to mind???
    Naufragia likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    From the article "The watch list is secret and generated at the government's discretion. It is not a list of people convicted of terrorism crimes."

The inmates are running the asylum?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

Neither do I.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'll bet it will be a whole lot easier to make the list than you would think.
    Probably easier listing things that WON'T get you on the list. (it would use a lot less paper/ink.)
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I just wonder if John Doe bought a gun and yet another John Doe is on the "list" like they've had similar name issues in the past.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I don't know about the "terrorist watch list" but I know that I was on the no fly list for a while, along with countless priests, nuns, infants and even Senator Kennedy!

Basically they were running it by simple name match. If there was a John Smith on the list for any reason, then every John Smith in the country was on the "no fly" list. There was no recourse and no way to get removed from the list (unless you were a senator).

If the same idiots are running this list, I wouldn't worry too much about those folks who "slipped by"
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post

Indeed. There is no due process or opportunity to dispute before you are denied boarding. Numerous errors have been made, and some have been rather notorious errors. The list should probably be abolished altogether as it may (who knows) be little more than a list of folks placed there by rumor and innuendo.

The idea of using it to prohibit people from doing stuff is really really really bad. Its bad enough that it can keep you off a plane. But if it is next used to keep you from buying a gun, what after that? To keep you from getting a DL? A US Passport? Then, all of a sudden you become, without any due process and virtually no appeal channels, a non-person.

This is one of the worst abuses inflicted on us by the prior administration and I am quite upset that the present one has done precious little to fix the problem. It is a list created by executive command and it is a list that can be abolished, or altered by executive command.

Why in the world our Judges have allowed this practice is beyond me, except that -- as with the Slaughterhouse cases K and I discussed elsewhere yesterday--- they just go with the flow and allow what is expedient for the government while ignoring rights. That is not good for our country.

You'd think this thing would have been fixed when they started keeping a few Congressmen and Senators from boarding a plane because they had the same family names as IRA terrorists, but Congress did nothing.

I read somewhere that the list has been trimmed from hundreds of thousands of names down to a couple of thousand, but if any of those are US citizens, it doesn't matter. There is still something negative being done to folks without due process-- without any process known to anyone outside of DHS.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    I don't know about the "terrorist watch list" but I know that I was on the no fly list for a while, along with countless priests, nuns, infants and even Senator Kennedy!

Basically they were running it by simple name match. If there was a John Smith on the list for any reason, then every John Smith in the country was on the "no fly" list. There was no recourse and no way to get removed from the list (unless you were a senator).

If the same idiots are running this list, I wouldn't worry too much about those folks who "slipped by"
    So, did you eventually get off? How do you fly now? Do you? Did you ever find out why you were on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming09 View Post
    Exactly. We've already seen four-year-old boys on the "no-fly list," from which it is nearly impossible to be removed. Now this. Eric Holder refuses to acknowledge that Islamic terrorism is even a problem. Guess who the "terrorists" he'll be going after will be?
    VERY GOOD POINT!! It seems like a very good idea; however you can not trust the ones in charge to be smart enough to do thier job; unless we have 4 year old terrorist problem I somehow missed....

If the government wants to stop people from availing themselves of a right, they can do so easily.

File criminal charges, then obtain a conviction.

Problem Solved.

If they are unwilling to do that, then I'm not interested in hearing excuses.

It's not called the Right to Keep and Bear Arms for nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links