My latest project...

This is a discussion on My latest project... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It is a Colt Army Special chambered in .32-20WCF. Not a CC gun, but quite a curio in my opinion. This is a preservation job ...

Thread: My latest project...

My latest project...

It is a Colt Army Special chambered in .32-20WCF. Not a CC gun, but quite a curio in my opinion.

This is a preservation job for a friend. Once the grips were off, I found the internals to have quite a bit of surface rust. Hoping that there won't be any surprises.

2. Remove Ads

1951 - 2011
    Hello. What a grand example of a firearm from a different era! Hopefully, your restoration work will go smoothly.

Best.

Assistant Administrator
    That is a fine piece of history and probably the internals will clean up quite adequately - small rust effects should not be too deleterious.

Externally from the pic it looks pretty good. Slightly reminds me of an old Smith 1917 I used to have and wish I still had (thank you UK gov )
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The blueing is roughly in 85-90%. Hasn't been fired much, but there is considerable leading in the barrel (Lord only knows what I'll find there). She just wasn't stored well.

There is a little end play between the cylinder and the forcing cone, but nothing that cna't be cured by a trip to Colt after the preservation
    work.

Shame too. Such a beautiful example of a firearm. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to own things.

Assistant Administrator
    Time tho does leave its mark, particularly with guns that have been more used than safe queens.

The leading should strip out OK with a lewis lead remover and some patience - then some bronze brush scrubbing. Even if not perfect - a pleasure to see and handle.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Might try a good electronic bore cleaner...it does wonders on older firearms, especially heavily leaded or fouled ones.

Looks pretty good...should be a nice project, hope it goes well.

It breaks my heart every time I see pictures of government seized weapons..I look and see all kinds of relics and curios that I wouldve just loved to save and restore.....man o man.....
    Fear No Evil.

Its to bad People don't know how to properly store there firearms ..

It does look good from the pic you posted though

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    The leading should strip out OK with a lewis lead remover and some patience - then some bronze brush scrubbing. Even if not perfect - a pleasure to see and handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98
    Might try a good electronic bore cleaner...it does wonders on older firearms, especially heavily leaded or fouled ones.
    Unfortunately, I don't have some of the fancier tools. One day though. If the wife and I build like I would like to, I will have one room in the house dedicated to me and my toys, and the necessary tools to do hte necessary work on them.

Right now, however, I am stuck with the old fashioned bronze bore brushes and lots of Hoppes (could almost wear that stuff as cologne).

Soak, brush, repeat.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I still have 3 lb of mercury . Yes its hazmat but i have yet to find an easyer way to " de lead " a barrell , just plug it on both ends and stand it in a spot , rotating every 6 to 8 hrs or so for a couple of days , then dump and brush once . There is a reason it isnt used anymore , but used to be a common way of cleaning lead deposits . I dont recomend it , just posted it as an " old timey " way of lead removal for an " old timey " pistol lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    I still have 3 lb of mercury . Yes its hazmat but i have yet to find an easyer way to " de lead " a barrell , just plug it on both ends and stand it in a spot , rotating every 6 to 8 hrs or so for a couple of days , then dump and brush once . There is a reason it isnt used anymore , but used to be a common way of cleaning lead deposits . I dont recomend it , just posted it as an " old timey " way of lead removal for an " old timey " pistol lol .
    Now, what did I do with all those glass thermometers??

And dont forget to notify the EPA before proceeding.....haha
    Fear No Evil.

FYI: Instructions on building an electronic bore cleaner for yourself...under 20$. I made one like this for the first few mil-surps I refinished, and it worked well enough to convince me to buy a commercial one.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp

If it can remove and break the lead out of 70 yo + military rifles...it will take the lead out of that pistol in a flash.
    Fear No Evil.

That thing really works??
    Might just have to try that. Would save a lot on brushes for sure.

Links