Opinions needed

This is a discussion on Opinions needed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I read what I consider some advice recently. The author suggested that it might be good cheap insurance if someone was to aquire 1 or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Opinions needed

Opinions needed

I read what I consider some advice recently. The author suggested that it might be good cheap insurance if someone was to aquire 1 or 2 cheap throw away guns to hand over if Big Brother showed up at your door demanding your guns. Anyone have an opinion on this? Also what and where to aquire such guns?

2. Remove Ads

Do you really think if you just hand them a couple of Saturday Night Specials they'll just accept that and won't search your property?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Just like the movie “Red Dawn” the government/conquerors will just gather up the 4473s and go door-to-door demanding them.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If big brother comes to your door looking for firearms you have FAR bigger problems that just being disarmed.

Good advice from all, thank you. But I was not suggesting Saturday night specials or just handing them over if Big Brother showed up. Recently during storms in Florida, the Governor declared marshal law during the storm evacuation and LE was tasked with collecting privately owned guns. Now I normally don't store guns where they could be easily found so I am not worried about searches in the above senario (which I consider as something likely to happen in a natural disaster). Since I don't want LE attempting to search my home, if you willingly gave up say a cheap .410 and or a real inexpensive .22 pistol, since they would most likely be in a hurry, it might satisfiy them especially if you were to argue just a bit before giving in. This is what the advice author was trying to convey. My question is or was how sane is that advice, it seems like sound, advice and cheap insurance while you have your main arms well hidden and not out in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by justjim View Post
    Good advice from all, thank you. But I was not suggesting Saturday night specials or just handing them over if Big Brother showed up. Recently during storms in Florida, the Governor declared marshal law during the storm evacuation and LE was tasked with collecting privately owned guns. Now I normally don't store guns where they could be easily found so I am not worried about searches in the above senario (which I consider as something likely to happen in a natural disaster). Since I don't want LE attempting to search my home, if you willingly gave up say a cheap .410 and or a real inexpensive .22 pistol, since they would most likely be in a hurry, it might satisfiy them especially if you were to argue just a bit before giving in.
    Can you please provide documentation where Florida declared Martial Law and law enforcement did gun collections from private residents recently?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Can you please provide documentation where Florida declared Martial Law and law enforcement did gun collections from private residents recently?
    Can't provide documentation, but I remember reading this somewhere, Don't even remember when exactly, it was a news item on the internet I think, that during a storm evacuation the cops were not letting anyone retain their firearms. I don't think this was a house to house search or anything like that. I will try and find this article and repost it if I can find it, but if this happened ( and I consider the odds of this actually happening to be very high) I was looking for opinions on keeping very inexpensive arms to give up.

Distinguished Member
    Can't provide documentation, but I remember reading this somewhere, Don't even remember when exactly, it was a news item on the internet I think, that during a storm evacuation the cops were not letting anyone retain their firearms. I don't think this was a house to house search or anything like that. I will try and find this article and repost it if I can find it, but if this happened ( and I consider the odds of this actually happening to be very high) I was looking for opinions on keeping very inexpensive arms to give up.
    You certain you're not thinking of the post-Katrina door-to-door confiscations?

I think you'll find that it hasn't happened since Katrina. Most states have enacted legislation that doesn't allow this any more.

Some states have laws against having firearms off your premise during a State Of Emergency but if your off your property and you are asked for firearms you will be searched also so then you have a reason for them to detain you if they find hidden firearms.

Just because you give them one doesn't mean they won't look for more so having throw down guns is really a waste of money if off your property.

Pawn shops, or gun shows can be a source of cheap "throw away" guns, but there will be a paper trail if purchased from a licensed dealer. Otherwise, a purchase or gift from a private person, in most cases, requires no paperwork. Check local and state laws for details.

A couple of things to consider...........

If government officers are going door to door collecting guns, they can only know you may have one or more, by gun registration or from an informant. Or, they went to several gun retailers to inspect their books. (Form 4473) If they already KNOW you have a gun, or guns, you need to come up with a believable story to explain why you no longer have them.

If they are federal officers, it is a federal felony to lie to them.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

The Supreme Court upheld the Heller decision. If they come for your weapons, then they do not recognize this government and Constitution any longer and we all have bigger problems.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Do any of you remember Charlton Heston's "cold dead hands" speech? I believe the scenario described above is just what he was refering to.
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think you were wrong to think that this was advice.

I think you would want to go the other way around. They'll come for your registered weapons, they know what you own already. What you want is some unregistered guns that you can keep stored safely away for just such an event. If they come for your guns, they will come for the guns they know you have, not the ones they don't know about. I have a couple of unregistered pistols (one I bought from a LEO), but you can easily purchase long guns without the registering hassle.
    RevolvingMag likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    If you don't draw the line there, where do you draw it?
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links