Interesting Day At The Range

This is a discussion on Interesting Day At The Range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I was at the range today, a nice older guy, probably 70-75 and what looked like his son showed up. I talked to them ...

Thread: Interesting Day At The Range

Interesting Day At The Range

When I was at the range today, a nice older guy, probably 70-75 and what looked like his son showed up. I talked to them for a minute while we were waiting for everyone to get back from putting up targets. He was shooting a 9mm HiPoint, said he was out before and had to go pick up more ammo to sight it in.

Like usual, I waited to start shooting until I saw how he was handling the gun. He kept it pointed down range, but I don't think he ever once took his finger OFF the trigger. He went through a few rounds and adjusted the sights (with the finger on the trigger)

While he was taking a few shots, I finished off the magazine I had. In between shots I heard a "pfft". I looked over and he was racking the slide, and it wasn't going fully into battery, so he racked it a couple more times. He was starting to point it uncomfortably close to my general direction, so I put down my gun and stepped back. His son told him to drop the mag and clear it, then he proceeded to look down the barrel. I grabbed a empty chamber indicator quick and told him he can just push this down the barrel instead of looking down it to see if it was clear. I ended up trying to push it down the barrel, but it wouldn't go in. I told him he had a squib. It's lucky it didn't go into battery, otherwise I suspect he would have pulled the trigger.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Wow. Yeah, I think everyone there got lucky that it wouldn't go into battery. Good call on stepping in to help- sounds like they needed it.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Tell me you also commented on the booger finger/boom switch issue. Good job for stepping in and helping.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I forgot to bring up the trigger on the finger issue after helping with the squib. Right after, they called for a seize fire and I was leaving, so I got my target and left. I didn't initially bring it up for a pretty dumb reason. I'm 21 look even younger, I felt like it wasn't my place to tell him how to handle his gun. It's a terrible reason, I know. I regret not making a comment about it. I've taught a good number of people (friends + family) safe firearm handling and it seems to be the one thing new shooters always forget.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

At his age, he should know better and it doesn't matter if you are 21 or 10, he should listen to any advice anyone offers him from the sounds of it.
    If he's not willing to listen to a little friendly advice that may safe his life, then he doesn't need a gun.

Glad you stepped in and saved him from himself "this time".
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    That's the same problem I have. I'm 23(look much younger) and I go shooting with guys much older than I am. Sometimes they are extremely careless at the range but I don't say anything because they have been shooting longer than I've been alive. If I see anything careless I just step away until they catch the drift.

You younger guys are sharper and more alert then us older guys and may well be more expierenced so by all means if you see a dangerous act on the firing line and you don't feel comfortable saying anything to the one committing the infraction go to the Range Master and mention something to them. You just might save yourself or someone else including the offender from being the victim of an unnessessary tragedy. My $.02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

If I'm with someone and they are doing something unsafe, I have no problem calling them out on it. I think a lot of people correlate age to experience, but I'm at the range almost every week and go through 100-300 rounds each trip (I got a 12 pound bag of empty 9mm brass just from the last couple months). Wisconsin has a strong hunting tradition (everyone and their grandma has a rifle/shotgun), but around hunting season you have all kinds of people at the range who don't shoot more than a couple times a year out there. I've seen enough careless handling that I find myself going there less during hunting season. I typically go on the bad weather days, when its rainy and snowy - nobody in their right mind wants to go shooting then, so I usually have the range to myself

But thank you for the extra "push", I definitely will be mentioning it to them from now on.

Safety knows no age...

You are, or you aren't...

Good job stepping in...next time, go with what you know and say something...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Links