BUYER BEWARE - CheaperThanDirt

This is a discussion on BUYER BEWARE - CheaperThanDirt within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That is "ILLEGAL" here, can't be done. Doesn't matter if someone makes a sign wrong, mismarks an item, or mis-advertises the price on the item ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: BUYER BEWARE - CheaperThanDirt

That is "ILLEGAL" here, can't be done. Doesn't matter if someone makes a sign wrong, mismarks an item, or mis-advertises the price on the item ..... it goes for that price, period. It's against the law to alter it at that point .... the ONLY reason they could refuse the sale under our laws is, a "printer's error" .
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by drb1611 View Post
    I explained that most people regard CTD as a reputable company;
    That right there was your first mistake of a few. Anyone who was around before/during the magazine/ammo drought knows that "cheat em like their dirt" took massive advantage of the situation and jacked up their prices and alienated many, many customers. Other posters have covered your other mistakes.

If it makes you feel better...before the gouging of their customer thing started (when they used to get my buisness), I happened upon what was obviously a mistaken low price on some Sellier & Bellot .45 ammo...too good to be true...but they honored the price for me...Go figure.

Does anyone else sorta miss the days that catalog sales meant tearing out the order form, filling it in, writing a check, mailing it in, and then that starts the wait? You used to never bat an eye at the 4 to 8 weeks delivery time. Now it's order at 2:11AM and be waiting at the front door at noon later that day.

To the OP, was your card charged? If so you may have a slight leg to stand on. Otherwise, consider it a free scratch off lottery ticket and you lost.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I see it as he saw a price and made a purchase on good faith believing the price he saw was accurate. If you placed an order for a burger in a drive thru window and got to the window and they told you your order could not be processed due to an error wouldn't you be a little miffed too. Not his fault they do not proof read their page. In Indiana if they mark something wrong and you try to buy it on good faith of the price as marked, it is illegial to sell it to you for anything other than advertised. to do so would be false advertising and a punishable offense.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Does anyone else sorta miss the days that catalog sales meant tearing out the order form, filling it in, writing a check, mailing it in, and then that starts the wait? You used to never bat an eye at the 4 to 8 weeks delivery time. Now it's order at 2:11AM and be waiting at the front door at noon later that day.
    OMG I hated that!! I'm old enough to have experienced the tail end of that. I just placed an order last night. Got an instant order confirmation stamped 4:45 then at 4:46 got the shipping confirmation/tracking number! That's how it should always be!

I have purchased things priced incorrectly. This was to my benefit. Have honored it at work too. I had been told its law. I think my business law course covered it. Something like the price tag is an offer in a contract and th buyer is accepting the terms. Company wrote contract and therefore follows it. Could have it backwords.

I think most retailers, B&M or online, usually don't honor pricing mistakes. Being a devoted follower of Slickdeals and Fatwallet (I subscribe to both RSS feeds), I've had places like Target, Best Buy, Amazon, and Newegg cancel orders on me after they discovered the pricing mistake. I have taken items incorrectly market to checkout only to have them rang up differently, and they wouldn't honor the mistake. Yes, I'm bummed, but as I hadn't lost anything on it, I'm not going to complain.

Only after money changes hands, would I expect them to honor the agreement. "Processing" doesn't mean that that has happened, regardless whether your credit card or bank has posted the pending transaction.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

I have worked in retail for a long time . Even if the item is in the wrong place and there was a price you had to sell for that price. go ahead and sell that one but you dam well take the sign down. Make sure the item is back where it belongs. Make the customer happy. Just sell him the ammo and pull the add before someone sees it.

14 years in retail and I still honor mistakes ( within reason). Since they realized the mistake rather quickly, they should have honored it. I haven't sent them any money in years. Like they said "business decision" just decided to spend your money elsewhere.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This isnt the only place he posted this either. Just saw this thread and somehow stumbled across this forum and noticed the same thread title. He's actually getting a few sympathy posts over there haha. Oh well I still dont think CTD should honor the mistaken price. If I were the business owner would I honor it??? Absolutley NOT!!!

Buyer Beware - Cheaper Than Dirt - Glock Talk

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    14 years in retail and I still honor mistakes ( within reason). Since they realized the mistake rather quickly, they should have honored it. I haven't sent them any money in years. Like they said "business decision" just decided to spend your money elsewhere.
    Define "within reason". If the error was visible world wide on the internet, it's certainly conceivable that someone who saw it, or more likely several people, made a mad rush to buy up thousands of rounds each. By YOUR logic, CTD would be "obligated" to honor tens of thousands of dollars in losses.
    I don't even make that much, but if I'd known about it and tapped into savings, even I could have stuck them for a couple thousand rounds at those prices!
    OP never once mentions how many thousands of rounds he tried to snatch up at those prices.

Do you really consider that "reasonable"??? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan87 View Post
    This isnt the only place he posted this either. Just saw this thread and somehow stumbled across this forum and noticed the same thread title. He's actually getting a few sympathy posts over there haha. Oh well I still dont think CTD should honor the mistaken price. If I were the business owner would I honor it??? Absolutley NOT!!!

Buyer Beware - Cheaper Than Dirt - Glock Talk
    Exactly as I suspected!

Also, someone else accused CTD of "price gouging" during the ammo shortage of 09.
    The problem I have with that is that the REASON there was a shortage was because production couldn't keep pace with demand, and prices weren't adjusted to compensate.
    It was basic supply and demand. Demand skyrocketed while demand could only increase by a small margin, and when prices DID NOT ADJUST, the store shelves were EMPTY for months on end!

CTD couldn't raise prices for the very simple reason they had nothing to raise prices on! I looked!! They had no ammo because they were the very last ones to raise prices and you greedy who are complaining now were the same ones buying up ammo by the case so you could turn around and charge quadruple on Gunbroker!

A simple Google check reveals that the same post is to be found on 4 or 5 other firearms forums.

There are only two possibilities here. Either the OP is embarrassingly ignorant to think that he could buy .45 ACP at that price in late April of 2011 or else he was trying to take advantage of Cheaper Than Dirt's mistake.

Which is it?

Several forums-worth of sour grapes over Cheaper Than Dirt's deciding against his efforts to gain by taking advantage of a pricing error don't improve image he's trying to project.
    surefire7 and William Hill like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I see it as he saw a price and made a purchase on good faith believing the price he saw was accurate. If you placed an order for a burger in a drive thru window and got to the window and they told you your order could not be processed due to an error wouldn't you be a little miffed too. Not his fault they do not proof read their page. In Indiana if they mark something wrong and you try to buy it on good faith of the price as marked, it is illegial to sell it to you for anything other than advertised. to do so would be false advertising and a punishable offense.
    You can't seriously believe he saw that price and placed an order in good faith believing that what he saw was accurate. He hoped to cash in on a mistake, a very obvious mistake. Everyone has seen such mistakes. Honest mistakes don't constitute "false advertising". Our hero then took on the role of the indignant customer wronged by the seller hoping he could get them to cave and
    give him his free (almost free) stuff. Not my idea of an honorable way to do business.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post

To the OP, was your card charged? If so you may have a slight leg to stand on. Otherwise, consider it a free scratch off lottery ticket and you lost.
    Yep, done it many times and it always seemed like it took forever to arrive. I really enjoy ordering over the Internet now, I placed an order with Sam’s Club online and my product was delivered three days later.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links