BUYER BEWARE - CheaperThanDirt - Page 4

BUYER BEWARE - CheaperThanDirt

This is a discussion on BUYER BEWARE - CheaperThanDirt within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I agree with post # 2 & 3....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: BUYER BEWARE - CheaperThanDirt

Distinguished Member
    I agree with post # 2 & 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Care to elaborate? And your lonely opinion does not constitute a historic fact.
    I visited CTD and plenty of other sites through 09 and well into '10 and the infamous "out of stock" and "back-ordered" tags was an all too common occurrence.
    But there was always plenty of ammo on gun broker. In fact, if you had a .380, that was just about the ONLY place it could be found.

History does not start when you came on the scene in late 09. The Magazine shortage and subsequent price jacking by certain ratailers...not all retailers...started shortly before November 08. I believe the Ammo thing took just a little bit longer to be noticed but started right near that Nov 08 date also.

You said..."CTD couldn't raise prices for the very simple reason they had nothing to raise prices on! I looked" "They had no ammo because they were the very last ones to raise prices "

Both of these statements are just plain WRONG! The first statement could possibly be because you "looked" AFTER the fact. If we let the first one slide for that reason then the second one has to be total BS because you weren't around to know WHEN CTD raised prices!

I sir was around PRIOR to the whole OBAMANATION magazine/ammo thing. I ACTUALLY WATCHED CTD and a few other retailers take advantage of the situation with higher prices. And for a while CTD WAS THE ONLY place to get certain items BECAUSE and ONLY because their higher prices allowed them to retain some items in stock. People "in the know" simply refused to pay their prices.

Your last statement of "you greedy.... who are complaining now were the same ones buying up ammo by the case so you could turn around and charge quadruple on Gunbroker"

That is nothing less then a personal attack on me! I am the only one who mentioned CTD's prior shady business practices in response to the OP. So yes, of course when you accused me of something while not knowing me I took offense and had to call you out on your 3 EPIC FAILURES.

1 you were not around so have no clue what your talking about!
    2 you don't know me and have no clue what your talking about!
    3 you decided (by attacking me)to take this thread so far off from the OP it is ridiculous.
    4 My "lonely opinion" is based on facts as I lived through them.
    5 Your statements and attack are nothing more then DRIVEL!

I apologize to others for having to respond to a personal attack so far off from the OP in the open forum. I'm done as I will not respond to someones senseless babbling any further.

From the Terms of Use of Cheaper Than Dirt:

9.Pricing
    With respect to items sold by CTD, we cannot confirm the price of an item until you order, however, we do not charge your credit card until after your order has entered the shipping process. Despite our best efforts, a small number of our items may be mispriced. If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.
    It's your responsibility to know and understand the terms of use of the company you are buying from.

VIP Member
    This morning, after checking the status of my order via My Account on their website and seeing that the product was "backordered", I called to ask why their website confirmed my order against a backordered product, without advising it was backordered. The CS person said, "that due to a system error, the order will not be processed". I then asked to speak to the CS Supervisor - she explained that the product was advertised with the wrong price, and that CTD had made a "business decision" not to honor sales that were confirmed prior to catching the mistake, even though they have stock on the item.
    To clear up the misconceptions and attempt to end this discussion - my order was placed in good faith, thinking it might be old stock and they were trying to close it out. Anyway, I was just wanted to give fellow members a heads up - apparently misguided. Also - guess I should have included the punch line - they did charge my credit card. In my experience, reputable companies don't charge your credit card until they ship.

I guess I'm confused. According to the OP they did charge his credit card, and the item is listed on his account as "back ordered". What price did they charge his card?The mistaken price or the correct price? If they charged his card at the higher price, without his approval, I believe that is illegal. If they charged his card at the price he ordered, then he has the 10 boxes on back order at the price listed, and has no complaint.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have to admit, $9.95 for 50 round box would have been a heck of a deal.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    was it a "mistake" when CTD ran the add for a single box of Blazer Aluminum .380 acp for over $60 a couple of years ago?
    ^^^^^^^^ YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I Vowed they would NEVER get a penny of my $$ I don't forget that easy ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I have been victim of CTD. I made an order, they charged my CC and never Ship. When I call them they said that they didn't ship to PR. After a month I received the credit in my CC.

As stated before. When they charged $50 for 50 rounds of 380's Blazzer is when I never ordered anything more from them ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Can't speck on the OPs problems with CTD but I just ordered two boxes of my carry ammo from them just last week for $17 (much cheaper than everyone else that has them) and I got it within that same week. This was my 2nd problem free order from them.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    Your last statement of "you greedy.... who are complaining now were the same ones buying up ammo by the case so you could turn around and charge quadruple on Gunbroker"

That is nothing less then a personal attack on me! I am the only one who mentioned CTD's prior shady business practices in response to the OP. So yes, of course when you accused me of something while not knowing me I took offense and had to call you out on your 3 EPIC FAILURES.

1 you were not around so have no clue what your talking about!
    2 you don't know me and have no clue what your talking about!
    3 you decided (by attacking me)to take this thread so far off from the OP it is ridiculous.
    4 My "lonely opinion" is based on facts as I lived through them.
    5 Your statements and attack are nothing more then DRIVEL!

I apologize to others for having to respond to a personal attack so far off from the OP in the open forum. I'm done as I will not respond to someones senseless babbling any further.
    Wait. How exactly is that a "personal attack" on YOU? You were never mentioned in that post. Why would you assume it was about YOU?
    Why would you assume my gripe with people reselling ammo at exorbitant markup was a direct attack on YOU?

Lead Moderator
    Keep the thread on topic and personal stuff out or it gets locked.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    was it a "mistake" when CTD ran the add for a single box of Blazer Aluminum .380 acp for over $60 a couple of years ago?
    This is the very reason I requested to be removed from CTD's mailing list. Cabelas had it, at the same time, for $16.99 and Buds was $22.99. I forgot what Natches was charging but it was far less than CTD. I have no problem with making a proffit - a business has to do so to survive but at over a $1.00 a round for .380 was entirely excessive.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Does anyone else sorta miss the days that catalog sales meant tearing out the order form, filling it in, writing a check, mailing it in, and then that starts the wait? You used to never bat an eye at the 4 to 8 weeks delivery time. Now it's order at 2:11AM and be waiting at the front door at noon later that day.
    Nope.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    OP never once mentions how many thousands of rounds he tried to snatch up at those prices.
    10 boxes - see post #1.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    You still have not disclosed how many thousands of rounds you tried to order.
    See post 1 - 10 boxes @ 50 rounds per box = 500 rounds.

If I had Mod powers you would be gone.
    Thankfully, you don't. I can understand your disagreeing with the OP's position, but that is hardly grounds for kicking him out of the forum. The forum would be pretty boring if everybody agreed on everything.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links