BUYER BEWARE - CheaperThanDirt

This is a discussion on BUYER BEWARE - CheaperThanDirt within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm appalled and darn right disappointed at the business decision Cheaper Than Dirt (CTD) has made regarding an ammo sale to me. Last night, I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: BUYER BEWARE - CheaperThanDirt

BUYER BEWARE - CheaperThanDirt

I'm appalled and darn right disappointed at the business decision Cheaper Than Dirt (CTD) has made regarding an ammo sale to me. Last night, I saw the following ad on their website and ordered 10 boxes.

Item # AMM-512
    Ammo .45 Auto Fiocchi 230 Grain FMJ Boxer
    Primed Brass Case 50 Rounds per Box $9.39

This morning, after checking the status of my order via My Account on their website and seeing that the product was "backordered", I called to ask why their website confirmed my order against a backordered product, without advising it was backordered. The CS person said, "that due to a system error, the order will not be processed". I then asked to speak to the CS Supervisor - she explained that the product was advertised with the wrong price, and that CTD had made a "business decision" not to honor sales that were confirmed prior to catching the mistake, even though they have stock on the item.

I explained that most people regard CTD as a reputable company; but in my mind, this decision is unethical. I asked if CTD is prepared for the backlash they should expect from many who have ordered their products in the past; and now, appropriately, opt not to do business with them in the future. She simply said, "it was a business decision".

I personally have never encountered this situation before; when I've dealt with companies that have made mistakes in advertising, they honor the advertised price, realizing the negative impact to their business and reputation if they don't.

I will not do business with Cheaper Than Dirt in the future.
    Last edited by drb1611; April 30th, 2011 at 05:54 PM.
    Semper Fi,

Sig P250C - 9mm/.40/.357/.45; Sig P250FS - 9mm; Sig P250SC - 9mm/.40; Sig P229R DAK - .40/.357/9mm; Sig SP2022 - .40/.357/9mm; Sig P238 - .380; Glock 19 Gen 4 - 9mm; Glock 30SF - .45; S&W Model 19 - .357 Magnum

2. Remove Ads

Sounds as if you were hoping to take advantage of what was an obvious mistake and then became irate when you were not able to succeed. You now see yourself as a victim because CTD isn't going to eat the mistake and you have vowed to do no future business with the company. Amazing.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Eh, no harm no foul, you thought there was a great deal but there was not; sure, they screwed up but it did not cost you anything no big deal.
    surefire7 and redrick like this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I'd be embarrassed to attempt to take advantage of an obvious error and then show myself to be all pooch-mouthed about it when the attempt to browbeat them and "hold them hostage" over the mistake was unsuccessful.

It's more important for CTD to stay in business to sell products to enthused shooting folks rather than to go in the hole for grasping, money-grubbers. I'll continue to trade with them. I even go by their store in person on occasion. Always something interesting and entertaining there.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sorry OP. Not a good first post.
    If they had charged your card the corrected price without authorization, you'd have a case.

I would have thought that fellow forum members wouldn't make a discussion personal. The purpose of my discussion in this thread was to make others aware that most likely, CheaperThanDirt will repeat this behavior in the future; and in my mind, makes it a place not to do business with.

I wouldn't disagree with an assumption that it might have been the web developer's mistake; and that many, if not most, web developers/maintainers are not knowledgeable of the products...BUT, I do expect that a company will honor the price of a completed sale.

Had the opposite happened, and the CS Supervisor said the website price was an error, but we will honor the sale, I would have posted a discussion that praised their integrity and good business practice. Companies deserve credit and recognition for doing the right thing. In this case, however; if this had been an IDPA match, as the SO, I would have issued a Failure To Do Right (FTDR) penalty.

I'm aware that many companies do not maintain a live inventory, and my call to CTD CS was originally to find out why the online status showed "on backorder" and learn when they expected to have the ammo in stock. The surprise and disappointment came when the representative explained what was really taking place.
    Semper Fi,

Sig P250C - 9mm/.40/.357/.45; Sig P250FS - 9mm; Sig P250SC - 9mm/.40; Sig P229R DAK - .40/.357/9mm; Sig SP2022 - .40/.357/9mm; Sig P238 - .380; Glock 19 Gen 4 - 9mm; Glock 30SF - .45; S&W Model 19 - .357 Magnum

Most retail operations have disclaimers in their advertising about misprints, both print flyers and online; STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE!

"I would have thought that fellow forum members wouldn't make a discussion personal."

You made your first post about your personal experience.

"I wouldn't disagree with an assumption that it might have been the web developer's mistake..."

Only one opinion, but attempting to take advantage of a very obvious pricing error without first inquiring whether or not the price was correct is not a commendable display of personal integrity. In fact, it is an unworthy attempt to get something for (almost) nothing. Has about all the ethical expediency of fattening one's wallet with the money that the little old lady in front of you had the misfortune to drop from her pocket book onto the floor of the grocery store aisle, just before she went out of sight around aisle's end-cap. Or is that just her mistake and her loss as well, as long as she remains unaware and you get to keep the dough? Taking advantage is taking advantage, no matter the circumstances. This is just a case of rushing to secure an item and profiting through others misfortune in keying in a price, then becoming all self-righteous about being caught in the attempt. Triggering the "backordered" notice could have been their fastest or only way to pull the plug on the item until they could fix the pricing error. It took the item down before others could attempt to order and for those who did order...then tough!

A fine business decision in my view. I'd rather not trade with such types anyway.
    PAcanis and Chevyguy85 like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

VIP Member
    If it sounds too good to be true...

Right now my best case price on Rem nickel plated brass 230 FMJ is about 30 cents/round.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

The Wal-Martification of America has made this a very common mindset. When mistakes are made, many people expect to be given something for nothing or benefit in other ways to the detriment of the seller. We're not talking about advertising a massive sale when you only have 1 of the item or something like that. We're talking about a simple error, probably made by some data entry person. I've ordered a couple things from various retailers that I knew were probably errors, and a couple times, I got the items since the companies decided to honor the sales. That is way above and beyond excellent customer service. Then there were times where I was notified of the error and offered a reduced price but not the one that was erroneously listed. That also is pretty good customer service. And then the ones that just cancel the order and never contacted me, well they didn't get my business again because they wrote me off, not because they made a mistake. I never fought to try and get them to honor the errors though. Enjoy the luck of sometimes getting a really good deal but don't expect a company to go broke over a mistake.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    was it a "mistake" when CTD ran the add for a single box of Blazer Aluminum .380 acp for over $60 a couple of years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Sounds as if you were hoping to take advantage of what was an obvious mistake and then became irate when you were not able to succeed. You now see yourself as a victim because CTD isn't going to eat the mistake and you have vowed to do no future business with the company. Amazing.

I feel the same as drb1611. Most of you are looking over the fact that they informed him it was on back order when they should have informed him of the mistake right away. They should make it good. It looks to me like false advertising because they never informed him until he had to make a phone call. Very bad business decision on their part. I will not buy from because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by drb1611 View Post
    I would have thought that fellow forum members wouldn't make a discussion personal. The purpose of my discussion in this thread was to make others aware that most likely, CheaperThanDirt will repeat this behavior in the future; and in my mind, makes it a place not to do business with.
    This being your very first posts makes me think it was the sole purpose of joining this forum to begin with. I've been there, so I know how it works, only in my case, I simply wanted a defective product replaced, receipt in hand, less than a month after purchase. I wasn't demanding a freebie or whatever, simply that they honor their own written warranty.

You didn't purchase a defective product.
    You have no receipt because the transaction was not completed.
    You're not getting any sympathy here.
    And if you're trying to use this forum as a leverage tool to strong arm a company into caving into your demands, it will come to light when those who have multiple forum memberships start posting links.
    I hope that's not the case. I hope you've just been lurking for a bit, and your first post was born out of frustration.
    If your intentions were honorable, then I say welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post

I feel the same as drb1611. Most of you are looking over the fact that they informed him it was on back order when they should have informed him of the mistake right away. They should make it good. It looks to me like false advertising because they never informed him until he had to make a phone call. Very bad business decision on their part. I will not buy from because of that.
    "Last night, I saw the following ad on their website and ordered 10 boxes.

Item # AMM-512
    Ammo .45 Auto Fiocchi 230 Grain FMJ Boxer
    Primed Brass Case 50 Rounds per Box $9.39

This morning, after checking the status of my order via My Account on their website and seeing that the product was "backordered" I called..."

No. nothing overlooked. It's all laid out in the post. Not a lot of time there, foxytwo, to give the original poster (and perhaps a host of others who may have ordered Friday night) his special phone call this morning, especially if they keep normal business hours.

So, take advantage of folks and if they don't jump through hoops fast enough to suit you then you win? Right?

Honest mistake,let's say somebody advertised Colt 6920 AR15's for 299.00 instead of 1299.00 you expect them to eat 1000.00 on every gun somebody jumped on before they realised the mistake.People that try to capitalise on somebodys mistake and then complain, will never be in my circle of friends,
    swiftyjuan and hienykins like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links