Defensive Carry banner

Home owners Insurance Problem

13K views 37 replies 33 participants last post by  GoBigOrange 
#1 ·
I had Allstate for 11 years; I had a resent review of my policy. They came in to my home and saw my gun safes in the basement. The adjuster asked what I had in side them and I told him that they had guns in them. Two weeks later Allstate canceled my insurance. I called them up and they would not give me a reason as to why. I called the adjuster to see what was going on and he said off the record that Allstate has an antigun mentality. So I went to state farm, and I now have all my guns insured separately from the house. I also pay less than what I was for Allstate.

#2 ·
+1 on State Farm. We have them too on house and cars. No hangups about my guns, no hangups about my "vicious" CHOW dog, no hangups about me delivering pizza, and they don't drop you if you have a car accident.

#5 ·
Farm Bureau gave me no real problems. The only thing I didn't like is a written and picture inventory but that was for everything in the house not just for the guns. Now that I think about it that was for the renters insurance we had while out home was being built. We did not have to do that for the new home owners policy.

#6 ·
i took out xtra on my guns just in case of theft fire etc.In Tx if they denied insurance because of gun ownership they wouldn't sell any insurance

#8 ·
It also depends on your local agent. My State Farm agent acts as my advocate, and coaches me on their policies and how to maximize my benefit. He's even recommended other agencies when he felt like State Farm wasn't acting in my best behalf. As a result, I keep every possible business and personal policy with this particular State Farm agent.

It sounds like your All State agent ratted you out on a dumb policy. Let him enjoy the commissions from you now ;-).

#9 ·
I feel all insurance companies are crooks and sexual predators (they'll do you in a NY minute!) but every encounter I've ever had with St. Farm has been a disaster which led to me walking away. One definitely needs to shop around for the best coverage.

#10 ·
FWIT, Farm Bureau will only pay up to $1000.00 for gun theft. They do have a different program that will cover incremental values, but I was floored at the cost. Something like a grand per year for 5K or value. State Farm is good. I was with them for years but their quote on my new house was like 30% higher than Farm Bureau for the same coverage. Seems to me that if you keep 90% of your firearms in a safe, you should get a discount. if you have an alarm system connected to the safe, you should get an additional discount.

#27 ·
Seems to me that if you keep 90% of your firearms in a safe, you should get a discount. if you have an alarm system connected to the safe, you should get an additional discount.
they figure ... you OWN GUNS ...... you don't need an alarm, and should give you a discount on your house policy for "theft" coverage.

I HAD mine with Farm Bureau and had the worse agent known to man........

#13 ·
My state farm agent carries a Springfield XD. State farm is Ok, but the agent makes it right.

#15 ·
Yeah that's probably what makes the difference. We've had the same agent for 3 generations now! Hope he doesn't get any ideas about retiring!!!

#16 ·
I had Statefarm for ten years. It was a pain most of the time. I had a leak I thought was under my slab and the agent had me file a claim, they denied my claim and then demanded I get a complete inspection of my pipes (ended up only a supply line but tons of damage to my wood floor) and foundation at my expense which was going to cost a ton,
I felt if they insisted on it they should pay for it especially since all the sudden there was an exclusion in my policy for the issues I had (pulled my original policy and it was not there). I dumped them and hope for nothing major to happen until I can find an affordable solution.
Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

#18 ·
Allstate and State Farm both suck! They are both guilty of cherry-picking and couldn't care less about losing customers. The word loyalty is meaningless. Over the years, I had both and never had a claim, yet I was canceled out because, "they no longer wished to expose themselves to the risk" of my water front home in central Florida that hasn't had hurricane damage since it was built in 1972. In fact, we haven't had a catastrophic storm since the 1920's. While it might be said that we are over due, the reality is, they have not had to pay a penny out in almost 90 yrs. If the State Insurance Department had the guts, they should have run them both out of the State and not let them write the more lucrative auto policies.

#19 ·
I have Umbrella Policy from State Farm - 2 mil for about about $150/yr - agent said it covers you on the street for SD acts including use of guns (for Liability - not attorney fees or criminal proceedings)

#23 ·
I asked my state farm agent about this, and he said NO go. They do not cover anything regarding SD. I wonder if its different from state to state.

#20 ·
We've had State Farm auto and home insurance since 1965. On Memorial Day, 1999 a tornado touched down in our back yard: It tore the house up to the tune of $39,000. State farm had an adjustor at our place the next day. State Farm treated us well. i have an extensive antique Winchester collection that is worth big bucks: State Farms covers it, no questions asked.

#22 ·
If there's anything to take away from this thread, it seems to be that the quality of agent-drive insurance can vary from agent to agent. Our family has used State Farm w/ the same agent for home and auto for decades, and they've always treated us right. However, I have not tried to insure my guns.

#25 ·
Does not covering SD also cover damage? For example, if I shoot a perp and have one of those hazardous clean up crews come out to clean up blood and guts from my home, and repair damage like a broken door, window, and possibly other things that may have been hit by my or the perp's lead, will my home insurance cover that? Maybe it'd be best to ask the agent.

#28 ·
I have had no issues with Nationwide (Dale Earnhardt's Brand) for 12 years and have riders for lots of stuff way over what you are thinking about million plus for shooting someone dead in defense of my house. No Issues, just pay the premium..... You need to talk to your agent about what you need. I'm not an Insurance agent, and have not played one on TV, but I have played a Chef on TV!

#29 ·
I had a burglary in February and lost ten pistols, a dozen extra mags, and some ammo with a combined value of well over $7500. My company has a limit of $3000 on guns and gun related items, so that's what I got. It wasn't just the guns - $2000 in cash was also taken, but their limit there was $300. I got a quote from ArmsCare Plus, the NRA carrier, for a $10000 policy for $104 annually. However. since I have a claim pending, I'm going to wait to see how that is handled before I buy the extra insurance from them.

#31 ·
This should be a reminder to all ... know your policy limits and adjust as necessary. "Extra" coverage is cheap ... get it if the value of your stuff is worth more than the limits.

Reactions: oneshot
#30 ·
Well speak of the devil!:diablotin:
Another FL homeowner just got cancelled...effective Oct 2011...me.:mad:
We'll see how this plays out.

#32 ·
UPDATE: Made a few calls...got my homeowners insurance changed to another company and got a 13.3% decrease in the rate and an 11% increase in the value of the replacement cost.:danceban::danceban:
I'd say it's been a good day.:hand10::yup:

Reactions: ccman and JOHNSMITH
#34 ·
I hate All State Insurance!!! When I went to college in Texas, I first signed up with All State to be "in good hands", but after someone hit my Ford Explorer at the University parking lot while I was in class and they pretty much gave me the boot with regards to coverage for some lame excuse regulation, I switched to State Farm Insurance. In the end I am glad I did, since 10 months later my car was smashed while parked on a side street in Austin in the wee hours of the night. When I woke up to move my car (parking till 9:00 AM), I noticed that the rear end of my car was completely totaled. The agent at State Farm helped me coordinate with the Austin Police Department, they covered the cost of the tow truck to the local Ford dealer to have my car fully repaired, they gave me a rental car from Enterprise, they sued the Insurance Company of the other driver (the insurance company refused to pay) and in the end I paid $0.00 for everything and was treated like royalty. Great job by State Farm!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.