Home owners Insurance Problem

This is a discussion on Home owners Insurance Problem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had Allstate for 11 years; I had a resent review of my policy. They came in to my home and saw my gun safes ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Home owners Insurance Problem

I had Allstate for 11 years; I had a resent review of my policy. They came in to my home and saw my gun safes in the basement. The adjuster asked what I had in side them and I told him that they had guns in them. Two weeks later Allstate canceled my insurance. I called them up and they would not give me a reason as to why. I called the adjuster to see what was going on and he said off the record that Allstate has an antigun mentality. So I went to state farm, and I now have all my guns insured separately from the house. I also pay less than what I was for Allstate.

+1 on State Farm. We have them too on house and cars. No hangups about my guns, no hangups about my "vicious" CHOW dog, no hangups about me delivering pizza, and they don't drop you if you have a car accident.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

statefarm is decent but be sure you have you guns listed on a rider.... a standard policy only covers a ridiculously low 1500 but a rider to 20000 only cost like 30 bucks a year on my plan

Farm Bureau gave me no real problems. The only thing I didn't like is a written and picture inventory but that was for everything in the house not just for the guns. Now that I think about it that was for the renters insurance we had while out home was being built. We did not have to do that for the new home owners policy.

i took out xtra on my guns just in case of theft fire etc.In Tx if they denied insurance because of gun ownership they wouldn't sell any insurance
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That is weird, I have all state and an extra 45K written on my firearms, tools, and accessories.

VIP Member
    It also depends on your local agent. My State Farm agent acts as my advocate, and coaches me on their policies and how to maximize my benefit. He's even recommended other agencies when he felt like State Farm wasn't acting in my best behalf. As a result, I keep every possible business and personal policy with this particular State Farm agent.

It sounds like your All State agent ratted you out on a dumb policy. Let him enjoy the commissions from you now ;-).

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I feel all insurance companies are crooks and sexual predators (they'll do you in a NY minute!) but every encounter I've ever had with St. Farm has been a disaster which led to me walking away. One definitely needs to shop around for the best coverage.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    FWIT, Farm Bureau will only pay up to $1000.00 for gun theft. They do have a different program that will cover incremental values, but I was floored at the cost. Something like a grand per year for 5K or value. State Farm is good. I was with them for years but their quote on my new house was like 30% higher than Farm Bureau for the same coverage. Seems to me that if you keep 90% of your firearms in a safe, you should get a discount. if you have an alarm system connected to the safe, you should get an additional discount.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I have an additional rider on my firearms. Really cheap, they seemed glad to have the busines. Safeco
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

What about that NRA insurance? I thought you could bump up your "free" coverage for not too much more. That way, you don't even need to disclose whether you have firearms to your hosue insurance agent, because they're already covered under a diff plan.

My state farm agent carries a Springfield XD. State farm is Ok, but the agent makes it right.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    What about that NRA insurance? I thought you could bump up your "free" coverage for not too much more. That way, you don't even need to disclose whether you have firearms to your hosue insurance agent, because they're already covered under a diff plan.
    Collectibles Insurance - Protecting Books, Stamps, Antiques and other Rare and Vintage collections in Baltimore, Maryland is quite a bit less than the NRA insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    My state farm agent carries a Springfield XD. State farm is Ok, but the agent makes it right.
    Yeah that's probably what makes the difference. We've had the same agent for 3 generations now! Hope he doesn't get any ideas about retiring!!!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links