Gunbroker wants a copy of my Drivers License?

This is a discussion on Gunbroker wants a copy of my Drivers License? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking to buy a few magazines and for the first time have determined that a seller on gunbroker has the best price on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Gunbroker wants a copy of my Drivers License?

I am looking to buy a few magazines and for the first time have determined that a seller on gunbroker has the best price on them shipped. I tried signing up for an account, and it seemed a little over the top to me when they wanted my birthdate. I understand, however, why they might want their users to be 18 or even 21+. I am over 21, so I just typed in a random birthdate that would satisfy their age requirements.

I clicked the link in the email they sent me, and it says that the system has flagged my account as suspect and wants me to send them a copy of my DL and a current utility bill!

Does this seem over the top to anyone else? I don't just go handing out my info to anyone. I think I'll just spend the few extra dollars and buy from Midway.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Way over the top, and actually doesn't sound like gunbroker at all. I've never submitted that to gunbroker and I do have an account in good standing.

No way would I send any of that information to them. It sounds more to me like a phishing site has gotten ahold of your input screen.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    I am looking to buy a few magazines and for the first time have determined that a seller on gunbroker has the best price on them shipped. I tried signing up for an account, and it seemed a little over the top to me when they wanted my birthdate. I understand, however, why they might want their users to be 18 or even 21+. I am over 21, so I just typed in a random birthdate that would satisfy their age requirements.

I clicked the link in the email they sent me, and it says that the system has flagged my account as suspect and wants me to send them a copy of my DL and a current utility bill!

Does this seem over the top to anyone else? I don't just go handing out my info to anyone. I think I'll just spend the few extra dollars and buy from Midway.
    The bold and underlined, why? Seems a little dishonest. Maybe the reason they need this info, is for people like you.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

The First Thing That Popped Up In My Mind Was..

How did they know what your birthday was (to be able to determine that your account needed to be flagged as suspect), in the first place?

I would question just how much stuff (personal information) they have about you that they were able to do this. To me.. that's just a little bit more info than I think they really need. (Not the requirement of the birthday, well that too maybe.. but the additional cross-referenced personal information that made them do that.)

Single Action Six

never click a link in an email. Go back to the original site and use their contact us button and ask them why they need the required information. then add a copy of the email "they" sent you.
    Sounds like a phish scam to me.
    msgt/ret, phreddy and bigdog44 like this.

GM
    They cannot possible know that the date of birth you entered was wrong unless they already have other information about you. Did you use a free email service?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    never click a link in an email. Go back to the original site and use their contact us button and ask them why they need the required information. then add a copy of the email "they" sent you.
    Sounds like a phish scam to me.
    +1 I frequently get emails claiming to be from Ebay and PayPal yet when I go to their sites there is nothing there. I always forward the emails to their fraud links hopefully they can catch the phishers.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have no idea why they think they need to validate my identity. I just mentioned the fact that I used a fake birthdate. I get almost all of my business done with name and birthdate, and sometimes showing (but not allowing a scan/copy of) my drivers license. For this reason, I choose not to share that same info with other people.

Its standard procedure for a site that requires registration (such as DefensiveCarry, gunbroker, etc.) to send an email to the address you provide, to validate that there is a real person on the other end of that address. When you click on the link they send, it only asks for a validation code, never any payment or other sensitive information. I was using an email address provided by my work, not a free account.

Oh well. I may make a phone call and see if we can get it straightened out without me sending them the information they want. Otherwise I'll just do business elsewhere.

Only time I ever sent my DL info was when buying ammunition,they are making sure you are of legal age when buying it,info for magazine purchase seems wrong
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Did you initially register on Gunbroker giving your true date of birth?

"I think I'll just spend the few extra dollars and buy from Midway."

That's probably the best idea.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    They cannot possible know that the date of birth you entered was wrong unless they already have other information about you. Did you use a free email service?

Ever heard of Spokeo People Search | White Pages | Find People ?A lot of companies are directly hooked into it. Damn amazing what is out there on you.

Does this seem over the top to anyone else?
    Yes. I've seen this often on ammo sellers.
    Those ammo sellers have lost my business the second they require a copy of my D/L.
    There's enough identity theft out there without my giving away my D/L to strangers.

A nine year old can also give them a ficticious date of birth. Once their systems determine that the information was false, they want you to prove who you are before they will deal with you.

Gunbroker has a page dedicated to phishing scams, one deals with account verification. Nothing about requesting a DL though...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Sup...1155&nocount=1

I would contact them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Or they asked for your age and a birth date and the two didn't match.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links