I'd like to join a group, but not sure which one. (NRA, USCCA, etc)

I'd like to join a group, but not sure which one. (NRA, USCCA, etc)

This is a discussion on I'd like to join a group, but not sure which one. (NRA, USCCA, etc) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Every time I think I've chosen one I read something that keeps me from joining. That said, I'm coming to the experienced members here to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I'd like to join a group, but not sure which one. (NRA, USCCA, etc)

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Thumbs up I'd like to join a group, but not sure which one. (NRA, USCCA, etc)

Every time I think I've chosen one I read something that keeps me from joining. That said, I'm coming to the experienced members here to help guide me along with their personal input from various organizations.

Thanks for any input!

VIP Member
    I do not agree with the NRA on all issues but they are our strongest voice in DC. Also join your states gun rights groups they will be the strongest voice to get things done at state level.
    joker1 and bigdog44 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    While I may not agree with everything the NRA does, I don't believe there is an organization more comitted to the protection of our 2nd Ammendment rights. This is just my personal opinion, but I say if you own a gun you should belong to the NRA.

USCCA? I guess their magazine is occasionally an interesting read. Other than that I don't know how useful they are.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    The NRA is the 800-lb gorilla and your biggest bang for your buck (in making a difference).

Just be careful which phone number that you give them, because they're gonna wear it out.

NRA, GOA, JPFOA... all good. As a shooter, please join and contribute to at least one. NRA is clearly the biggest and best organized, but also the most bureaucratic. But overall, they all make their voices heard with elected officials.

USCCA is a nice organization, but they strike me as being a for-profit organization with political sympathies and leanings, but no political clout.
    IWLAFART likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks guys, the NRA is the one I always lean to but always hear about all the 'crap'... tons of useless mail, phone calls, etc.

Not currently aware of any strong Minnesota groups.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    but I say if you own a gun you should belong to the NRA.
    This should be the starting out point for anybody. Expand beyond if you have the funds and desire, but this should be step 1.

Signed up... official NRA member, just what I needed - a little push over the fence.

Besides, I had a mailing for $10 off and a free bag, which I may or may not receive... none the less, I feel better being a member as I own a few guns and would like to keep them around for my kids to enjoy one day.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cnauman View Post
    Thanks guys, the NRA is the one I always lean to but always hear about all the 'crap'... tons of useless mail, phone calls, etc.

Not currently aware of any strong Minnesota groups.

I've never gotten any unsolicited phone calls from the NRA and only the occasional piece of mail usually asking for a renewal extension.

The SAF is another good group to join that has several pro-gun lawsuits pending right now.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would join the NRA without thinking about it. They are a very influential, powerful and resourceful organization to be a member of.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

It is great you joined the NRA. Great place to have our voices heard. The key, as said here in many places, is join and support groups that keeps your rights safe. They are and will continue to be under attack from every angle and we need help. Do not forget your state groups as well.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

While I don't agree with the NRA on everything, they are by far the most influential in Washington and have worked tirelessly over the years to protect our 2nd A rights. I was a junior member as a kid, where I shot on a NRA junior rifle team, then during my college years (after first serving in the Army) I just didn't renew my membership. I rejoined about 20 some years ago and have been a member ever since. I should have just become a life member--would have saved money over the long run.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member
    Beyond that, I would suggest looking into whether your state has a grassroots 2A foundation.

They are very important in making you voice heard on a state and local level.

At lease join one if your state has a group support them to they fight at the local level

Closest I've found is mnguntalk.com, which is an MN based forum - but they seem pretty active in helping get local laws passed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links