My neighbors Nambu.... - Page 3

My neighbors Nambu....

This is a discussion on My neighbors Nambu.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Told him there were a bunch of us here who gave him a thumbs up and pat on back it brought a smile to his ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My neighbors Nambu....

Told him there were a bunch of us here who gave him a thumbs up and pat on back it brought a smile to his face !
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Hi ALL
    Sad to say i just inherited these pistols my friend is a deaths door and passed them on to me from what little I have been able to research so far the Nambu is It is a very late product of Chuo Kogyo’s Kokubunji factory. The date is Showa 19.6 (June, 1944),less than 200 made and with paper work as a war trophy also a 1941 tokarev TT-33 . Haven't decided yet what to do I am going to keep them but dont know if I want to leave them as is or have a gunsmith look at them and try to shoot or make a case for display only ?
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

Sorry to hear about your friends condition,it says something about your character when somebody leaves a cherished possession to a neighbor/friend.Tell your buddy I said thanks for his sacrifices he made and that there are still some of us around who remember what he and his comrades did
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Will do Duka just sad to say I wont have my fence buddy to talk war stories but it was worth the time I enjoyed his stories of harder times .
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

VIP Member
    Sounds like your friend had a good life and will leave the world a little better for being in it.

What to do with the Nambu? I'd have it looked over by a smith and I would definitely put a few rounds through it.

DO NOT TRY AND "IMPROVE " IT BY HAVING IT RE-BLUED OR RESTORED!!!! It's just fine in it's original, worn, but cleaned up condition.

My Dad saw service in WW2 with the Royal Horse Artillery (very elite unite in the British Army) in Burma and faced down more than a few Nambus and Arisakas. He was in command of a regiment of Nepalese Gurkhas and when he passed he gave me his Kukri. He told me it had been "used".

Some stuff for you to look at.........

Nambu World: Terifs Japanese Handgun Website

Nambu | Forgotten Weapons

nambu

The National Firearms Museum: Nagoya Army Arsenal Type 14 Nambu Semi Automatic Pistol

Nambu pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Researching Your Japanese Handgun

http://www.ai4fr.com/main/page_milit...jap_nambu.html
    TomEgun likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    Hi ALL
    Sad to say i just inherited these pistols my friend is a deaths door and passed them on to me from what little I have been able to research so far the Nambu is It is a very late product of Chuo Kogyo’s Kokubunji factory. The date is Showa 19.6 (June, 1944),less than 200 made and with paper work as a war trophy also a 1941 tokarev TT-33 . Haven't decided yet what to do I am going to keep them but dont know if I want to leave them as is or have a gunsmith look at them and try to shoot or make a case for display only ?
    Definitely don't have them 'restored' that will really destroy any value they have. Keep them clean, but keep them original. If a 'smith says they're "ok to shoot", then enjoy them a little if you want. If not, make a REALLY REALLY nice display case, with your friend's name, the dates he 'got them', and the date you received them.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend; it's terribly to lose a friend, and even worse to lose the caliber of man it sounded like he was.
    TomEgun likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Thanks For the info guys and I intend to keep them in original condition I would like to shoot them because I am a gun nut but will be putting them on display .
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

Very nice!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I'd sure shoot them.

This is a nice though bittersweet thread. I didn't recall seeing it last year.

I've come close to acqiring a Nambu on several occasions back when they were inexpensive. If I had I would have handloaded for it and fired it on occasion.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Cool story. Thanks for sharing. Here's my story about a Japanese WWII rifle

My Grandfather fought in WWII against the Japanese. He brought home a battlefield pick up Arisaka Type 38 Carbine with the mum in tact, dust cover in tact, and bayonet. I inherited it, but could never get the bolt to open, so it sat. I decided recently to see if I could get it working. To my amazement, all it took to get the bolt open was a light tap of a rubber mallet on the dust cover, and the bolt came right back. I had a pro look the gun over, and determined it to be in working condition. I found some ammo made by Hornady that was designed to be fired in the weapon, and off I went to the range. What you're about to watch in this YouTube clip, is me firing the gun for the first time. What a sweet gun. Amazing to see something fire for the first time in 60 years. Wish the rifle could talk. The last time it was fired, was probably against American troops. The soldier firing it likely died, and may have even died at the hand of my Grand Father's 1911. Who knows. What I DO know, is that this is one very fine firing weapon. I plan to deer hunt with it.

Firing Grandpa's WWII Arisaka. 1st time in 60 yrs - YouTube br /
    TomEgun likes this.

Exceptional! Very cool find and such a unique experience. Consider it a blessing to have known him. He is in a better place and his memory will live on through you and the gun.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Yes It was Panama "just Cause" 1989
    I kinda figured it was panama when the above poster asked.

Glad you had such a unique story. My wifes grandpa was a pilot in Vietnam and being a OEF veteran myself I thoroughly enjoy the story's from our history right out of the horses mouth. Doesn't get any more true or accurate.

Hopefully many more wonderful years and stories to tell.

EDIT: very sorry I didn't read the newer post. I'm glad that you did have the time you did with him. It shows alot of character for him and yourself. He made sacrifices for his family, friends, and this country and there isn't anything that can take that away. Once again sorry to hear about his health...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TomEgun likes this.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    He said that he had no one to leave it to and that he might leave it to me in his will . I told him I couldn't accept because I thought it was to important a piece of our history but would if left to me make sure it was placed in either a Marine corp museum or NRA museum for all generations of military and gun enthusiast to see along with his story .
    Excellent story. Fewer of those stories going around since WWII veterans are leaving us very quickly.

My vote would be the Marine Corps Museum. Contact:

National Museum of the Marine Corps
    18900 Jefferson Davis Highway
    Triangle, VA 22172
    Toll Free: 1.877.635.1775

Some of the rarer Nambu's, those made by Tokyo Gas and Electric can command some big bucks in nice shape..like 2-4k price.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Awesome post, thanks for sharing. So sorry to hear your news from yesterday.

Thanks also to you and your neighbor for your service.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links