Help. How to make steel targets?

This is a discussion on Help. How to make steel targets? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to create steel targets for feedback while shooting on my family's personal 60 acres? ...

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to create steel targets for feedback while shooting on my family's personal 60 acres?

I would like to build a target that provides audible and/or visual feedback.

It can be sqaure a 1' x 1' or so and I was thinking a rebar(spelling?) spike in ground or welded 4 leg style stand.

I have a wire welder so I can fuse metal. I am not sure what kind of steel type, where the best place to source it, the thickness, and or the caliber it could handle.

I guess I would like to be able to lob .40 and .45 cal at them all day long but can they withstand .223 or MUST i use frangible?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I used deformed( could have used threaded galvanized bar) bar for the spindle 1/4 inch plate cut into circles and 2x2 angle iron attached to 4x4 post all. I don't think it would have handled a 223 but did just fine with a 38's and 22's. That's been more than a few years back but, it lasted until the tractor took it out. Wish I had a pic to post it pretty simple though. Dig out the holes for the 4x4 fence post and concrete in to place. Then I drilled holes in the angle iron 1 at the top, 1 about 1/3 of the way down and 2 at the bottom. ran the deformed bar through the top holes and welded into place and lag bolts in the other holes to attach it to the post. I think the whole thing took a day and a half most of the 1st day was letting the concrete cure. I used some galvanized fence couplings to attach the plates to the bar. It was not pretty but for (then) a kid it was a work of art. My dad wasn't happy at time; seems I used some of his to do project supplies. If your farm looks like ours did you probably already have most of what you will need to build one.

it order to withstand rifle fire, you will need AR500 steel.and should be 3/8 to 1/2 thick

Links