Co-worker scared of guns

This is a discussion on Co-worker scared of guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just venting a bit, as it just got on my nerves the other day. So a 20 something female at work asked me questions about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Co-worker scared of guns

Co-worker scared of guns

Just venting a bit, as it just got on my nerves the other day. So a 20 something female at work asked me questions about firearm storage.

To make it clear, at work, when it comes up, I always state I support the second amendment. I never share much more in a mixed crowd. I will, from time to time, ofter to take someone to the range, or if someone asks what I did on the weekend, I might share that my wife and I went to the range.

So I don't hide where I stand, however at the same time, if I hear people firearm bashing, or just making stupid comments about firearms, I don't share my thoughts unless asked. Even when asked, I will simply state something like "I fully support and believe in the importance of the second amendment." I simply refuse to get in an argument, or even mix words, or have a polite conversation about it with co-workers, unless that co-work is pro 2A, and we are outside work or at the very least well (well well) outside of ear shot of other co-workers. Sure, other pro 2a co-workers may share something I've stated when ther are talking to a anti-2a, and when I'm asked, I go to the basics, don't argue, just state my go to, I support the second amendment, and leave it at that.

So back to venting. So she asks me if it is legal to have a loaded firearm in an unoccupied car. I asked if the car was locked. She stated yes. I replied, as long as the owner of the car has a cc permit, and no one else was using the car, in general it would be legal. I added I was not sure if it mattered if the car was locked, but common sense stated the car should be locked. In addition, it would be a good idea to secure the firearm in a lock box or locked compartment.

She then asked something like, "What if the person was getting gas, and left the pistol in their car."

I replied, "Well, to be honest, I'm not sure, but as long as the driver / owner is a cc permit holder, I don't think it is illegal, and depending on the situation, and who else is in the car, not that big of a deal."

Then she replied, "But the gun could just go off." There happened to be a toy dart / suction gun. I asked her if she thought it might just go off. She did not answer, simply stated, but a real gun might go off.

I tried to demonstrate how it took more pressure to trigger a firearm then the toy. I offered to take her to a range, or go out as a group and go to a co-worker's cousin's range as a group. The fear level was to high.

This is a bright girl. Does well in school, and in general, intellegent and even mechanically inclined. However, having never fired a firearm, there was no way to reason with her. To her, a firearm may just go off.

I smiled, made nice, made sure she got the last word, agreed that given her comfort level, no one should force her to shoot a firearm, etc.

Conversation about 3 minutes, and back to basic, avoid the conversation. However, the frustration has stayed with me. Thanks for reading my vent.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

And that is the problem with ignorance. The world is full of it and you can rarely teach otherwise unless they are open minded and willing.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I once tried to explain how television/radio broadcasts work to my wife. She smiled and said, "whatever, it just magic to me". She is a smart educated (she is an RN) woman. She doesn't want or care to know how those things work, because it is unimportant to her.

The same is true about some people and firearms. They are ignorant because they do not want or care to know the truth. It is easier to assume all guns are bad, dangerous, and evil. You did a good job with trying to educate her, but you can't teach those that do not want to learn.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Yay! I just broke 100 posts.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I'm scared of co-workers. Some times they just go off!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rokclmb View Post
    I'm scared of co-workers. Some times they just go off!

Whenever I have someone start following the answer to a question with another question (especially about a hot button topic like guns), I can't help but get the feeling that they are trying to bait me into an argument so that they can preach their beliefs. I end it pretty quickly with something like "I'd like to discuss this further with you, but I'm already late for an appointment".

If she is, as you say, a "bright girl" that sounds to me exactly like what she was attempting to do. It sounds like you handled it well.

I had faced the same conversation in the past long story short I said How can you expect me to respect your opinion when you refuse to even listen to mine? We have been friends since and still go back to Texas on vacations just to visit them.

Trying to counter irrational fear with facts is a losing battle.
    Bark'n and MtflyerHK like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

You can't reason with the irrational. Some otherwise educated and intelligent people have absolutely no reason or logic when it comes to firearms...and a vast majority of them are not going to change. Once I figure out who those people are, I either avoid them or the subject.

I had a co-worker who was non-gun (not for, but not dead set against) and we had some conversations about it for years and she was OK with the people who were trained and comfortable with them. One day, she came into my office and shut the door and told me about a man that tried to attack her daughter with knives and get in her apartment, etc. She said, "I need you to help us pick out a gun and teach us to use them, etc." Her account and seeing the light go off was amazing. I took her to the range and showed her a lot of different firearms, taught her about safety, and she shot them all, and she liked the S&W 442 the best. Over a period of weeks her enthusiasm faded and she never went to buy a gun...but her position on them is much different now. Some folks are capable of changing their perspective...some aren't.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Stupid is as stupid does. That's what Mama always used to say.

Her questions don't sound stupid to me, just ignorant which is cureable.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

You can educate ignorance. You can't fix stupid. Stupid is "willful ignorance".
    RevolvingMag and hienykins like this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Well, you could try logic if you're up to it:

"Who told you guns 'go off' all by themselves?"

"Have you ever seen or personally known of this happening?"

"How do you think guns fire?"

"If water is turned on to a garden hose nozzle, will it suddenly spurt water across the yard without squeezing it?"

"If I put a key in a car ignition but don't turn it, will it start by itself?"

"If I put pen to paper without clicking it, will it write?"

"If I put a casserole in the oven, will it cook without me setting the temperature?"

"If I place lighter fluid and matches next to a pile of wood will it burst into flame?"
    magnum44 and MotorCityGun like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    similar to the " wow, we ( meaning someone else) must save that cat in the tree. it will starve and die if 'we' don't save it. and i said to my neighbor
    'so, how many cat skeletons have you seen in trees?'

when starting up for a permit class i tell those attending to bring their spouse ( or SO) for free. no certificate for them, but if there is going to be a gun in the house it is good if they know about them. especially how to 'safe' one should they come across yours by 'accident'. i have heard the "guns go off' statement a few times and counter with--"how many times has that been on the news ? if it was true, and there are about 2 guns for every 5 Americans, wouldn't it be in the news all the time? " this gets them to thinking. following the class i hold a free shoot and it is common for all...even 'them' , to join in. i have observed that education has a 80% conversion rate.

by 'free shoot' i bring an assortment of ammo ( loaded light, med, factory) so the students and guests can have at it with guns they like--or think they like. the most fun are the cowboy SAA followed by a 1911. some just want to shoot the 22's some more. the trailside w/ red dot getting the most use. even the most standoffish, seeing the fun everyone is having and that there is not the danger they thought, bow to the smiles (and peer pressure) to try at the least, the 22's.

outside of the class room i am much like the OP; I'll talk with those who are interested but i seldom am the one to bring the subject of guns and the 2nd admendment up.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links