Does Michigan Require Gun Registration

This is a discussion on Does Michigan Require Gun Registration within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend of mine recently inherited some guns from his father in Michigan. Is he required to register them in Michigan. Thank you for your ...

Thread: Does Michigan Require Gun Registration

A friend of mine recently inherited some guns from his father in Michigan. Is he required to register them in Michigan. Thank you for your assist.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I'm ashamed that I don't know the answer to this anymore... I think I do, but don't remember the detail of some somewhat recent changes. I should hang around here more to stay sharp.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

If your friend lives in Michigan and the firearms are pistols, then yes he will need to register them. If he has a CPL, he just needs to fill out an RI60 form and send in the copies. If he does not have a CPL, then he will need to get a permit to purchase for the number of guns he has inherited, fill them out and return permit to the agency he got it from. If they are long guns, then no registration is needed.

Have him look here for more detailed information. There is a section that covers registration and a specific FAQ about inheriting pistols. MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs
    Last edited by Waterborne; May 7th, 2011 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Added link

Wow. I was born in Michigan. Thankful to live in a free state that has no gun registration.

Edit: I apologize for sounding snarky. Being fairly new to carrying a gun, I'm surprised to learn the restrictions in some places, and pleasantly surprised to learn how good we have it in Georgia, where I live now.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterborne View Post
    If your friend lives in Michigan and the firearms are pistols, then yes he will need to register them. If he has a CPL, he just needs to fill out an RI60 form and send in the copies. If he does not have a CPL, then he will need to get a permit to purchase for the number of guns he has inherited, fill them out and return permit to the agency he got it from. If they are long guns, then no registration is needed.

Have him look here for more detailed information. There is a section that covers registration and a specific FAQ about inheriting pistols. MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs
    Thanks exactly what I/he needed to know. He does not live in Michigan they are his gramps guns, mostly WWII trophies taken from nazis. Right now he is in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. I am going to suggest that he store them in a free state. To the best of my knowledge they are clean and unpapered, no reason to create a paper trail at this late juncture. He does not carry and is a pacifist liberal type. Seems strange to me as he is Jewish and his family has first hand experience of the consequence of being unarmed and defenseless. Having lost a few to the camps. Still he wants to keep them as family heirlooms, maybe shoot them on occasion.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links