Pistol or 10" SBR

This is a discussion on Pistol or 10" SBR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was asking several local dealers about the legalities of adding a rifle stock to a 10" handgun and haven't been able to get a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MattInFla

Thread: Pistol or 10" SBR

Pistol or 10" SBR

I was asking several local dealers about the legalities of adding a rifle stock to a 10" handgun and haven't been able to get a solid answer from any of them. I was considering adding a rifle stock to a 10",.223 caliber TC. Nothing else would change on the gun, the stock would be temporary (removable with a screw and lock pin replacement) and the gun would be factory original with the original grip returned to the gun.

My question is whether adding a shoulder stock to a handgun is legal as long as none of the changes are permanent or does the stock make the pistol a SBR requiring paperwork with the ATF? As I said, I haven't be able to get a hard answer from any local deal and even a call to the local ATF office was answered with a "it all depends" reply that was vague at best.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Adding a shoulder stock to anything with a barrel under 16" makes it an SBR.

For that matter, merely having a Contender with a short barrel and a shoulder stock not attached can be construed as "constructive possession" and can land you in prison.

Matt
    jwhite75 likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    My question is whether adding a shoulder stock to a handgun is legal as long as none of the changes are permanent or does the stock make the pistol a SBR requiring paperwork with the ATF?
    I'll give you ar rock solid answer. The answer is NO, to legally mount a stock to the TC with any barrel less than 16" you MUST have it registered as an SBR and you must have the 200 tax stamp. Without the tax stamp it is illegal.

On the same token, if you do have a T/C with the stock, mounting a barrel less than 16" also is illegal.

Just having them is not illegal. The "constructive possession" was stuck down by the Supreme Court, as a matter of fact it was done with a T/C owner that had different length barrels and possessed a stock some years ago.

Its very easy to do, but if you get caught you could face up to 10 years in the Club Fed and be fined up to 100,000 $...so dont do it.

If you want to do it, do it legally and pay the 200 tax. Its a small price to pay for your freedom.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

BTW, I found this on the ATF site. "Q: If a person has a pistol and an attachable shoulder stock, does this constitute possession of an NFA firearm?

Yes, unless the barrel of the pistol is at least 16 inches in length (and the overall length of the firearm with stock attached is at least 26 inches). However, certain stocked handguns, such as original semiautomatic Mauser “Broomhandles” and Lugers, have been removed from the purview of the NFA as collectors’ items.

[26 U.S.C. 5845, 27 CFR 479.11]
    "

When I asked ATF I got the "it depends" reply, but I suppose to be safe, it would be wise to register as an SBR. Spending $200 for the tax is still a LOT cheaper than buying another gun. Still, I've seen pistols that came with detachable stocks or were available as manufacturers options and no extra paperwork with ATF was required. I found a similar problem when looking into adding a bi pod to the pistol. I was told it COULD be used as a vertical grip, yet manufacturers make them for pistols (the Ruger CHALLENGER for example). Anyway, I guess if I were to register a pistol as short barreled rifle I can add a vertical fore grip and other "rifle" stuff that would cause a problem if installed on a pistol.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Senior Moderator
    Anyway, I guess if I were to register a pistol as short barreled rifle
    I can add a vertical fore grip and other "rifle" stuff that would cause a
    problem if installed on a pistol.
    Yep. Once you register your frame as an SBR, all other problems go away. In your case, since its a TC frame, once registered and stamped you could put any length barrel you want on it. You could do this yourself with a Form One.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links