How to dispose of ammo

This is a discussion on How to dispose of ammo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was cleaning out some stuff and found several boxes of .45 ammo. I have had it for a long time and do not remember ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to dispose of ammo

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

How to dispose of ammo

I was cleaning out some stuff and found several boxes of .45 ammo. I have had it for a long time and do not remember its origin. I do not want to shoot it as I do not trust it. So I want to dispose of it. What is the "best" way to do it. And if anyone local wants it, they can have it. It is about 300 rounds.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    How much would it cost to ship it? I'll pay shipping!!
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i also will pay shipping if you dont want it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

OK, I didn't realize anyone would be interested in untrustworthy ammo. It is about 200 rounds and weighs 15 lbs. Some jacketed, some lead. I would ship UPS. You guys figure out the shipping.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    the last time I wanted to ship ammo, it cost about $35-45 due to it being ammo.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    Why don't you trust it? Is it factory or handloads?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    the last time I wanted to ship ammo, it cost about $35-45 due to it being ammo.
    Loaded ammo has no premium charges at UPS. Only components separately that get a hazmat fee.

Ammo just has to be marked ORM-D Small Arms Cartridges and be shipped from a hub, not a UPS store front.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Loaded ammo has no premium charges at UPS. Only components separately that get a hazmat fee.

Ammo just has to be marked ORM-D Small Arms Cartridges and be shipped from a hub, not a UPS store front.
    Hmm, glad to know that. after that cost I didn't ship and now knowing what you told me, I would have been pissed off if I did.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I am surprised people are wiling to jump at the chance to buy this ammo. you have no idea in what condition it was stored. if he said in airtight cans I would be all for it.....
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Even if the ammunition is questionable the bullets should still be good along with the brass. Primer and powder may be bad so pull the bullets, fire the primers, put the powder in a safe container, and use the bullets and brass for reloads. I wouldn't shoot extremely old ammunition that has been sitting on a shelf for 20 years but ammunition in general has a long shelf life.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Why don't you trust it? Is it factory or handloads?
    I am not sure if I reloaded it back in the 80s (when I reloaded), or I bought it from someone, or I it is "remanufactured" or what. But given the fact that each of my guns cost over $600, I am not willing to use this ammo.

Still waiting on some advice on how to dispose of it if no one wants it shipped.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    use a bullet puller, dump the powder in your garden or flower bed, give the casings a couple weeks worth of soaking in plain water and deprime them. Like was already said, the bullets and brass most likely can be reloaded... if not, the last batch of junk casings I took in was worth about $2.50/lb for brass.

I'd burn it. Always fun to see the fireworks.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Senior Moderator
    Contact your local police or fire department. They can probably tell you where you can dispose of it, if that is what you want to do.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

You can always take it into a local police station and drop it off, odds are high they will use them for practice at their own risk, but police depts will always take old and questionable ammo, just as they will accept derelict or questionable firearms you find or inherit (sad to me that anyone would just give up any gun, no matter the condition, but they do). No police dept in the country will turn you away, they don't want you dumping it into a trashcan for kids to find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links