What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop?

This is a discussion on What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at a range in Germany with a German friend of mine and we were both practicing with our handguns. I was shooting factory ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop?

I was at a range in Germany with a German friend of mine and we were both practicing with our handguns. I was shooting factory ammo and he was shooting his own reloads. We were standing beside each other (both shooting revolvers) and taking turns down range. When it was his turn, he pulled the trigger and "click". He immediately turned his handgun to look at it and it was pointed directly at me! I gently pushed his arm downrange and then "bang"!!! We then had a long discussion on range safety and "hang fires". Seems he always had some problem when shooting his own reloads. Sometimes he would forget to put powder in the case and he would get a bullet stuck in the barrel. I was always very apprenhensive when I was at the range with him but he was a very likeable person...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Wynn View Post
    Nothing major aside from "somebody" (not me or my girlfriend) sweep everybody in the room after makingga good shot.
    Actually this kind of situation is the cause of my number two worst event. Big guy with petite girlfriend/wife/SO comes in to teach her how to shoot wth a full sized 1911 .45.
    (and new shooters with inapropriate guns and novice instructors will be a separate lesson, stay tuned)

I'm on the range watching them to make sure they're safe. Stance... leaning way back, check. Grip... Charlies Angels cup-n-saucer, check. Eyes...at least one open, check. Safety briefing and "lesson" shouted through earmuffs...check. Bang. She shoots the first round, gun kicks up, she turns and has the gun pointed at his chest at an upward angle with finger solidly on the trigger. I'm mentally visualizing all the organs the bullet will pass through before it exits and hits the safety barrier. I consider disarming her, too risky. I don't want to yell or move too fast. I quietly tell her "your finger is on the trigger of that loaded pistol" and after a (3 hour or so) pause she sets the gun down.

I was too shakey to yell at them, I had to leave the range and let someone else do it.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

One day at a nearby indoor range in comes a guy with two girls. He is of the baggy-droopy pants, sideways cap set. The girls are very nice to look at but straight out of the pages of “Hookers Are Us”. They have the stiletto heels, short-shorts and a mico-mini that leave virtually nothing to the imagination with their boobs popping out of low cut tops. Their male “friend” proceeded to show them how to shoot a little silver snub-nose he pulled out of his pocket. He actually did a pretty good job of instruction with the “girls”. Anyway the view was nice so I just kept loading and unloading a magazine while I watched the girls shoot and giggle.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Never been to a public range but sounds like they are more dangerous than Wal-Marts. Thats why I like owning open country for a range you can set up any type of scenario you like and not worry about people you don't know shooting you.
    bwalker25 likes this.

My most recent adventure was qualifying for my CC permit. At the qualifying range there'd be roughly 12 of us on the line, waiting for the range master to call out the next sequence or shot. Every time we were told to approach the line, the guy next to me would charge his 1911 and put his finger on the trigger once he arrived rather than waiting until being told. More than once he ignored the instructor and used the opposite hand, but wasn't noticed/caught. A few times he managed to sweep everyone to his left when he thought he had emptied his clip, but hadn't.

Crazy things go down in public ranges, I love shooting and that's all I have near me, but I try to only go when I expect it to be slow enough to size up those around me and not have a bustling packed place to contend with.

I've see a few things that were scary. A guy next to me was shooting a 38 snub and turned to talk to his friend and muzzled me with his finger on the trigger. He got the "free lesson" from me. Then I saw a fellow right after he fired a rifle with the bore sighter still inserted and his barrel peeled back like a banana. The scariest one was this older fellow that was actually a range officer and he was in the port to my right. He wanted to show me his fully loaded carry 45. It was in a shoulder holster and I watched him remove it while I stared down that large barrel as he fumbled to bring it from the holster. If he had a ND, I would have gotten it right between the eyes. I backed out of the way as soon as I could, and I never trusted him again. He was clueless to my abrupt actions too.

Once I had an accidental discharge of a gas gun indoors. I understood that gas guns are best gun safety teachers - nothing's damaged, but you still have to open all the windows (bonus points if it happened during winter) and wash CS/PV/etc. from your face.

Once in a supermarket a man next to me openly carried (and in Russia the open carry is a really bad idea, though perfectly legal) a PB-4 in a shoulder holster, and it was pointed at me. And PB-4 has no safety.

Once on an amateur IPSC competition there were two DQ's on one exercise - one shooter accidentally shot through the decoration, and another one shot a metal target with a 12Ga slug.

But I'm really happy I wasn't there: YouTube - . And this woman is (was?) a Militia officer (our police was called militia that times).

There was also a story about a stupid but strong recruited which assembled an AK-74 wrong, got firing pin stuck in front position, attached the full 30rd magazined and chambered..
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    English is not my native language and I may sometimes use incorrect terms. Feel free to correct me if you feel like doing it.

A buddy and myself were out at one of our public ranges. We get there and there are about 15 people on the line. We call clear, everyone else calls clear. A guy at the very end of the line called clear. We all walk down to set up and check the targets, when out of the blue, the guy on the end of the line continues to shoot. The look on his face when the others pulled there pistols out and told him to leave was priceless. My Friend and I just left for the day. To much action....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    I was at a LGS when the UPS truck arrived. The guys began unpacking the items and all the sudden one of the guys shouts Holy ****!!!. We all turn to look at him and he is white faced. It turns out that one of the items was a FFL to FFL transfer. It was a revolver with a fully loaded cylinder. Good thing the guy popped the cylinder open for the inbound inspection before testing the trigger.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I picked up a Glock 17 being sold at the local "Trade Days" event in Bonham Texas. Dropped the mag first, which was empty, and then pulled the slide back and lo and behold a 9 MM popped out. I left it locked open, gave the seller the 9 MM and a real dirty look, and left.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I was at the range, pistol range only, these two guys in trenchcoats show up, pull out chopped down shotties from under their coats and begin spraying their targets. Turns out they had just finished building them and were trying them out. They got booted. Then the guy next to me decided to start pinging the target hangers, low and behold i get hit with a ricochet that took a nice chunk out of my 1911 grip and sprayed me with lead shrapnel. I wasn't hurt, but I convinced the guy to buy me a new grip before he left. The range officer may or may not have been involved with that one and he helped me check my 1911 to make sure it wasn't damaged. Luckily it was just the grip, and I wasn't hurt or we may have found out what OC spray smells like in a closed off gun range. (that last part was a joke btw, would never OC someone because of a ricochet)
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Stupid people pointing guns at each other and others on the range made public ranges 'off limits' for me. I spend the extra bucks to have a private range that eliminates 'idiots' pretty quickly, therefore we seldom see any...worth the $$$.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Check this out for dumb.

Besides having too many guns pointed at me at ranges, here is my peeve. Gun stores with a shooting lane that call themselves "ranges", but do not put an RSO on duty. If there is no range officer, you might as well rent space in someones back yard.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    Check this out for dumb.
    No way!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links