What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop?

This is a discussion on What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I was at Ft. Benning last summer their was this one private named Kurtis, bless his soul for his enthusiasm but he can be ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop?

When I was at Ft. Benning last summer their was this one private named Kurtis, bless his soul for his enthusiasm but he can be slow sometimes...
    We were at the range for our pre qual practice before we qualified the next day and Kurtis was having trouble qualifiying, he couldnt reach marksman which is the lowest qualification. He finally made the qualification and stood up shouting to his DS that he did it...Mind you people are still finishing their last couple of targets at the kneeling stance and you keep you rifle down range and wait till the tower gives the command to make sure your M4 is on safe and everybody is finished. Ive never seen one person get smoked for a hour straight on the range with Ft. Bennings record summer high of hot weather.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

2. Remove Ads

Let's talk gunshop AD or ND or whatever then.

Boss fired a 10/22 into the air in a shop where I used to work. It went through the drop ceiling and into the business next door. Landed on a desk in the office next door. The landlord and the office owner weren't mad, but wanted to prevent it from happening again. We put a big piece of steel up into the ceiling and on the wall next to the workbench. I wondered if it would work or just send a round bouncing around the shop.

We bought an AOW shotgun, a Mossberg 500 with an obscenely short barrel, for the cash register area. Local SOT manufacturer built it, we loaded it for the first time and whne he closed the bolt it fired a round of Federal Tactical into the floor. Defective gun. Freak accident. No injuries.

I was testing a shotgun that wasnt feeding. I forget what it was, but it was a foreign made cheap semi auto. Took it on the range and got frustrated, wouldn't feed or fire. I took it back to the workbench, took it apart and cleaned it. Still didn't see anything wrong so I dropped 3 shells into it. I pulled the bolt back, it fed. Ejected the round and fed the next. Ejected that one and the third round fed and fired. The safety was on at the time. It went across the back room and into the frame of a metal door. Just missed the fridge. I looked at the shell, it was 00 buck. The other two were 7 1/2 birdshot that would have done only cosmetic damage to the door insted of blasting the heck out of it. Now you may not believe me, but I have heard of people with tunnel vision in times of stress, and loss of hearing also. I swear to you with all my credibiltiy as a member of the internet that I never heard the shot and that my ears didn't ring or anything. I also promise you that I saw the wad and shot leave the barrel, fly across the shop, and hit that door.

One old guy that worked with us would take cheap single shot shotguns and saw them down to just over legal length. He did good work, not hacksaw jobs. Refinished the stocks, made or re-used buttpads insted of leaving bare wood. Nice work. He sold them outsde of the business, mostly in his mobile home park of 55 and up folks and snowbirds. He was showing me one in .410 and he dropped in a .410 shell when he was done. Then he cocked the hammer and dropped it before he realized what he did and before I could stop him. It went....... Click. Dud round. It was a new Winchester and had a deep dent in the primer. Avoided blasting the workbench or the bathroom door by miracle luck.

Someone was trading in a bunch of ARs bought before the Clinton ban. He had like 7 or 8 and as he brought them in, the boss was clearing them and setting them on the counter. The last one was loaded and the boss fired it into the floor. Left a dent in the cement that was still there after they put new carpet down. When we got slow we would putt a golfball down the shop and into the "hole" with a golf club from a set somebody had pawned.

A guy fired a Savage .308 into the parking lot clearing it before bringing it in to sell. He was embarassed, things got a little tense for a second until we realized what had happened. Best part was that the boss offered him a lower price because the gun was now dirty. I think he was kidding.....

Later that same day a guy fired a Ruger MKII in the same place. It was a snakeshot round and didn't do anything but make a dust spot in the parking lot. He didn't even make an offer, too embarassed. He left.

All kidding aside, I assume we all can identify a common theme in these stories?

If not, let me give you another story.
    Renter had a jammed gun on the range. One employee brought it out into the shop and attempted to clear it. For a reason I don't know, it was fired. The 9mm FMJ went down the shop, hit another employee in the chest. It broke his rib, skidded around his chest, tore out the muscles in his back, and went into a pegboard wall. This happened before I worked there. On my first day, the boss showed me the pegboard wall and showed me the one hole in it that was out of place. He told me the story and the outcome (the employee lived with minimal after effects) and explained to me what careless gun handling would mean for my long term continued employment.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    When I was at Ft. Benning last summer their was this one private named Kurtis, bless his soul for his enthusiasm but he can be slow sometimes...
    We were at the range for our pre qual practice before we qualified the next day and Kurtis was having trouble qualifiying, he couldnt reach marksman which is the lowest qualification. He finally made the qualification and stood up shouting to his DS that he did it...Mind you people are still finishing their last couple of targets at the kneeling stance and you keep you rifle down range and wait till the tower gives the command to make sure your M4 is on safe and everybody is finished. Ive never seen one person get smoked for a hour straight on the range with Ft. Bennings record summer high of hot weather.
    We had a kid like that names 'Potts'. I think every company has one. It's been close to thirty years now, but I'll never forget him. Dumb and naive, but never quit. By the end of the 13 weeks of basic, he was tough as nails. The Kurtis's and Potts of the world could spawn a thread unto itself.

1) Three employees and a customer trying to figure out how to get the slide stop back on a 1911. When I saw the pocketknife come out I knew they were clueless, but kept my mouth shut. (This store is now closed). Scary part - the customer was a neurosurgeon.
    2) An employee trying to sell someone a set of Hogue grips that go to a square-butt S&W for a round-butt one. That big gap in the back of the frame was really attractive.
    3) Another employee trying to sell a customer a set of GP100 grips to go on a Redhawk (not a super redhawk but the regular one with the grip frame) - he tried to argue when I said they didn't fit. I was about 12 and the customer was my dad. He didn't buy them.
    4) Employee trying for about 5 minutes to break down an AR15. He got really p!ssed when my dad did it in three seconds (the guy was trying to do it with the bolt open).

I've seen several other goodies on oddball guns but I tend to give the guys a pass on those - no one can know everything about every gun.

Very good frined of mine were at the range with his GF who turend out to be his first wife. She was not anti gun but simply didnt like shooting. He worked her into shooting his highly custom 10/22 and she enjoyed it greatly. Picking of 12 ga hulls at 50-100 yd with it. he them talked her in to shooting his Ruger P89 9mm. She promptly fired two rounds down range with poor form and grip which recoiled wildly on her since as a result. She then, finger on trigger,swung the gun around pressing the muzzle to my friend's chest and proclaimed IM DONE!

He slapped her hand away and the gun went sliding downrange across the gravel deck. She proceeded to stomp to the car and loudly ball for nearly 2 hours. AND he still married her. LOL They divorced a few yrs later.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Several things come to mind: 1. Young guy asks to see a gun with a crimson trace laser on it. He proceeds to point the gun at his buddy's bum and depresses the switch on the laser. I see the red dot on his friend's bum. Also not his finger inside the trigger guard.. 2. Guy asks to see a gun inside the case and proceeds to to point the barrel at himself as he looks down it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    Check this out for dumb.
    See, I'm actually conflicted on this one. I'm a big photography buff and sometimes you have to do crazy things to get the shots no one else can. I'm not saying I'd want to be in that guy's position on that range with all those rounds flying, and I certainly wouldn't do so with inexperienced shooters on the line. But given a highly skilled shooter in a controlled environment, I might honestly go for it to get a few good photos.

You guys can flame me if you want, I'm fully expecting it. I'm just saying that somebody has to get those pictures somehow. Then again, that's what remotes are for I guess....

On another note, I've never seen anything particularly stupid on the range I used to frequent, however I did have one guy nearly drop my jaw to the floor. He walks in the range with a black case, and the first thing I notice is his size. This guy is maybe 5'10" and pushing 400lbs easy. Now they don't make clothes easy to find for fellas that size, so he's wearing a shirt that's just a little tight. Not gross-out tight, just enough to hug him. Well he whips out a Tommy gun (semi-auto) and three magazines. Real calm-like he puts up a target and runs it out a few yards. Picks up his Tommy gun, loads in the first magazine, I'd say a 30-rounder.

BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG as fast as he can. SLAPS that magazine on the table, slams another into the thing and keeps rocking. Everyone has stopped to watch the spectacle at this point. It was disgusting and mesmerizing at the same time, as you could watch his body fat ripple with each round, like a kid poking a large jello sculpture with a skeleton. Fast as he can he finishes off his third magazine and slams it down on the table. Then calmly runs his target back in, inspects it for a moment and rolls it up. As expected, rounds are all over the thing. He packs up his stuff and walks out.

He was in the range for all of 3-4 minutes tops.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=paaiyan;1932114]I'm just saying that somebody has to get those pictures somehow. Then again, that's what remotes are for I guess....[/QUOTE]

Now you're thinking.
    RemMod597 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Yeah it's not my first thought as I don't currently own a remote. Or a nice camera for that matter...
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    One of my last trips to the range, I had to hold fire for an idiot that had managed to shoot his target off of the hanger. Not a big deal. Except that he didn't call for a 'hold fire' before scrambling under the barrier to retrieve it. Despite the multitude of signs everywhere on the range telling you to "NEVER go downrange, for any reason whatsoever; if your target falls, get an employee/RO." Or just put up another target you cheap *******; they only cost $1.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I did come within about a foot of getting hit by an ND with a M-2 once, but that was nowhere near a gun store. Still, I like being behind Ma Deuce when she goes off, not in front of her.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Yeah it's not my first thought as I don't currently own a remote. Or a nice camera for that matter...
    Pocket Wizards are your friend for situations like this or others where you cannot/should not be. They will fire flashes or camera bodies.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I was qualifying with the M16 at a Navy Base. When my relay was done I was standing behind the line when the shooter turns around pointing his rifle at me with his finger on the trigger, and says: (I'll never forget this)

"I don't think I shot all my bullets yet."

I barely resisted the urge to bash his skull in, but I got him turned back downrange and took his STILL LOADED rifle away from him and cleared it.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Another one:

I was on the line at a handgun class when a guy shot himself in the arse with his P-229. Mind you, this was an IDPA "guru" who couldn't hear the sound of his own voice enough.

The drill was draw and fire 1 round center mass in 1 second.

Reconstructing the events later by examining the burn marks on his pants and the trajectory of the round (through his butt cheek, down through his leg, and stopping in his calf .40S&W TC) we determined that:

1. He fired the gun while drawing from the holster (very distinct line burned across his pants).
    1a. He was using a Dillon paddle holster that didn't have a tab on it to keep it still.
    1b. He was a little bit of a wide body and the holster shifted around until the muzzle was pointed at his backside.
    2. We inferred he put his finger on the trigger before he was on target (the paper one at least) and he was ready to fire.
    3. We inferred that he did not de-cock it before holstering.
    4. He had some presence of mind; while hopping on his good leg yelling "OW, OW, OW" he de-cocked it and handed it to a RO.

Lucky for him we had a Corpsman and a couple of Paramedics on the line with us because it was over an hour before the ambulance got to us. IIRC they left the bullet in his calf because it would have caused more harm cutting it out of him (Truncated Cone FMJ - no exposed lead).
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    Another one:

I was on the line at a handgun class when a guy shot himself in the arse with his P-229. Mind you, this was an IDPA "guru" who couldn't hear the sound of his own voice enough.

The drill was draw and fire 1 round center mass in 1 second.

Reconstructing the events later by examining the burn marks on his pants and the trajectory of the round (through his butt cheek, down through his leg, and stopping in his calf .40S&W TC) we determined that:

1. He fired the gun while drawing from the holster (very distinct line burned across his pants).
    1a. He was using a Dillon paddle holster that didn't have a tab on it to keep it still.
    1b. He was a little bit of a wide body and the holster shifted around until the muzzle was pointed at his backside.
    2. We inferred he put his finger on the trigger before he was on target (the paper one at least) and he was ready to fire.
    3. We inferred that he did not de-cock it before holstering.
    4. He had some presence of mind; while hopping on his good leg yelling "OW, OW, OW" he de-cocked it and handed it to a RO.

Lucky for him we had a Corpsman and a couple of Paramedics on the line with us because it was over an hour before the ambulance got to us. IIRC they left the bullet in his calf because it would have caused more harm cutting it out of him (Truncated Cone FMJ - no exposed lead).
    Sometimes you gotts specify which COM the target or the butt cheek
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links