What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop?

This is a discussion on What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A young adult came in to the range to shoot. He had what looked to be a plain old normal 586 revolver with a six ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop?

A young adult came in to the range to shoot. He had what looked to be a plain old normal 586 revolver with a six inch barrel, just like we see a hundred times a day. He was shooting away when one of the employees looked in and noticed he was holding the gun kind of oddly. The guy had taken a piece of wood and had carved out a custom left-side grip panel that was a shoulder stock. I don't know if I'm describing it well, but he made what was basically a shoulder stock with the end shaped to screw into the frame on the left side. For those of you in the know, this is totally legal.... IF you fill out a Form 1, pay a $200 tax, and submit it to the ATF with information on you, your corporation, or your trust, and engrave suitable info on your guns receiver. If you skip those kind of important steps you are holding a very neat and very well crafted ticket to an unhappy place. The nice man had no Form 1, none of the other stuff, and no idea that he was in over his head unhappy place-wise. It's a shame, it was very well crafted, showed a lot of talent. Unfortunately the kind of talent that would get him a high palced job in the prison woodshop.

So what would you do? Call The Man? Kick him out? Shoot it first? Your opinions?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I knew a thumbless mortarman who put his thumbs over the lip of the "muzzle" of a 4.2" mortar while trying to dislodge the tube from the base - with a 'hung' round in the tube. It didn't stay hung, and took his thumbs (and a good amount of his hearing) down range with it.

A friend of mine tried to clear a jammed Raven .22 (I know, they NEVER jam, right?) by cupping the lower part of the frame in his left hand and smacking the back of the slide with his right. When it fired, it carved a nice furrow right down the meaty part of his left palm.

Not a "dumb" thing, but a real freak accident... While doing live-fire room clearing in a tire house (this was before the modern age of purpose built shoot-houses on every block), the lead man in the stack was hit by a fragment from the hand grenade that had just been thrown into the next room. This fragment not only somehow found its way through the tire/sand wall, but also hit him in the armpit, in the only part of his upper torso not covered by his basllistic vest. He almost bled out, as his brachial artery was nicked. A one in ten million shot...

I've seen a guy shoot his own hand with an M249 SAW, and, even though I was there, I still can't figure out how he did it.

During Simunitions training for one division of my agency, one agent shot another agent in the head with a live round that somehow made its way into the training area. Thankfully, the shootee was wearing a ballistic helmet, and it just knocked him silly.

I've been swept more times than I can count, seen every possible violation of the four rules a thousand times over, and generally come to believe that people are, generally speaking, pretty damned dumb when it comes to firearms handling - even those who should by all rights know better...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    Check this out for dumb.
    I felt sick watching that.... how is that possible to allow that???

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    A young adult came in to the range to shoot. He had what looked to be a plain old normal 586 revolver with a six inch barrel, just like we see a hundred times a day. He was shooting away when one of the employees looked in and noticed he was holding the gun kind of oddly. The guy had taken a piece of wood and had carved out a custom left-side grip panel that was a shoulder stock. I don't know if I'm describing it well, but he made what was basically a shoulder stock with the end shaped to screw into the frame on the left side. For those of you in the know, this is totally legal.... IF you fill out a Form 1, pay a $200 tax, and submit it to the ATF with information on you, your corporation, or your trust, and engrave suitable info on your guns receiver. If you skip those kind of important steps you are holding a very neat and very well crafted ticket to an unhappy place. The nice man had no Form 1, none of the other stuff, and no idea that he was in over his head unhappy place-wise. It's a shame, it was very well crafted, showed a lot of talent. Unfortunately the kind of talent that would get him a high palced job in the prison woodshop.

So what would you do? Call The Man? Kick him out? Shoot it first? Your opinions?
    Do shops have legal obligations to call in stuff like that? I have no idea, but my knee jerk reaction is to treat someone who is innocently blundering into something like that as kindly as possible. It seems just letting him go on his way would be worse than warning him, but if you warn him, it means you noticed it and didn't turn him in. Man, what a tough spot.

VIP Member
    Oh, and I also watched an Infantry Officer (and NOT a 2LT) trying to pry the links off of 40mm grenades used in Mk19 grenade machine guns, so he could use them on an M203 range. I realize that doesn't mean much to most of you, but picture it like this - the two rounds are similar in the way that the .357 Magnum and .38 Special are similar. If you WERE ever able to cram a Mk19 round into an M203 (they shouldn't fit - they are designed not to) and fired it, it would be...bad. Like firing a .50BMG out of your Ruger 10/22. So...I counseled the gentleman on his misunderstanding - not all things 40mm in diameter are created equal - and no harm was done...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have had a few whoa moments at my local indoor public range.

Once as I was signing it in the shop, a group of guys were just leaving. The counter guy is taking the LCP the group of guys rented out of the container and he clears the pistol, to have a live round come flying out. The renters obviously left the gun chambered and had no clue what they had done. Luckily the counter guy was not pointing the pistol in my or anyone else's direction, but having a live round ejected your way in that case is still unnverving.

I have also been hit by a ricochet fragment just above my forehead there once. It felt like I was hit with a little hammer. One more reason to always wear good eye protection. If that ricochet fragment had been lower I could have lost an eye.

No fault to the other guy next to me, but once a tall guy was shooting in the stall to my left. Almost half of his ejected .40 cal casings were coming over the stall and hitting me or my bench. It was only an annoyance until one of his casings landed and wedged itself directly inbetween my eyewear and over by my temple. I got a bit of a burn before I got it out but in the end run it was freak bad luck incident.

I am always afraid when you see the guy bring in his girlfriend who has obviously never shot a gun before. I avoid going to the range on weekends because of long lines and dangerous inexperienced shooters.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    Do shops have legal obligations to call in stuff like that? I have no idea, but my knee jerk reaction is to treat someone who is innocently blundering into something like that as kindly as possible. It seems just letting him go on his way would be worse than warning him, but if you warn him, it means you noticed it and didn't turn him in. Man, what a tough spot.
    I believe I would educate him - assuming I did not have a statutory duty to turn him in. The reason for this is as follows. While ignorance of the law is not an excuse, if you piled up the texts of all the laws that apply to you, federal, state and local, then gathered those of other jurisdictions that you frequent in your daily life, I suspect you could not read them all in a lifetime let alone do anything else during that lifetime.

Now if you knew the guy was up to no good - intentionally, that would be a different issue.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I knew a thumbless mortarman who put his thumbs over the lip of the "muzzle" of a 4.2" mortar while trying to dislodge the tube from the base - with a 'hung' round in the tube. It didn't stay hung, and took his thumbs (and a good amount of his hearing) down range with it.
    Yeah, that's not how you do that. The correct way isn't much fun either, round not armed immediately after leaving the tube or not.

During a basic demolitions class: Instructor: "put your hands over your head/helmet, insert fuse into blasting cap, crimp blasting cap onto fuse. Now, take the other end of the fuse, insert into igniter". Private: "Sirrrr??" Instructor"Holy crud, heck no, you take that out yourself." Idiot jammed the blasting cap into the igniter.

25 point shooting range, cease fire called every quarter hour, and at least 2 idiots couldn't wait. Actually ran out onto a hot range to put out a target.

Not shooting the correct ammunition for their particular firearm. I've seen 380's shot out of 9x18's, 9mm NATO shot out of 40 S&W's, I even saw a guy shoot a 32acp in a starter pistol. Of course nothing came out of the barrel of the starter pistol except a bulge in the barrel. It was happening so regularly that we had to start inspecting every bodies firearm and ammo before qualification.

I've seen 9 in 40s plenty. Messy but not usualy dangerous, just jams the gun.

The worst wrong caliber I saw was a nice Auto Mag in .357 AMP, which is a shortened .308 or .30-06 necked down to .357. We bought the gun to sell and in the box of this rare and valuable gun was a blown out and split .357 magnum case that somebody had managed to chamber and fire. That's insane to me.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I'm a Glock armorer where I work. One day, one of the jailers came in with his older G17 and an update kit, consisting of all the internals, wanting me to do the installation. I dropped the mag, cleared the chamber, and stripped the pistol. After I was done, I picked up everything to give back, and noticed that the round that had come out of the chamber had a nice, deep dent in the primer. His very first shot would have failed him. I explained why one should inspect their ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    We are not legally obligated to turn them in. Also, according to the ATF, we aren't allowed to be in posession of the gun either. What was explained to me was if we took in a gun for repair and found out while it was in our posession that it was an unregistered SBS or SBR or was found to be full auto or had no serial number, we would be guilty of an illegal transfer. An ATF inspector told me that personally a few years ago.

That said, I have in the past kicked people out of the shop, educated some people on the law, and called the police on others. In some cases it was obvious people had no clue they had done something wrong, others didn't understand the law, some were just criminals.

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Never been to a public range but sounds like they are more dangerous than Wal-Marts. Thats why I like owning open country for a range you can set up any type of scenario you like and not worry about people you don't know shooting you.
    Me too. In fact, I'm headed out to mine right now. Should take me all of two minutes to get there.

Two stories

I was at "GUNS" You might remember it Duck, its near the armory.
    I was walking arouind with my girlfriend looking at guns (Hopefully finding one I could afford....none :( )
    This guy walks in and starts talking to the guy at the counter (Seemed like a cool dude was jokeing about selling me an AR for 100 because it was a going out of sale, sale)

He starts chatting up the owner and asking "What if I buy a rifle and I convert it to Automaic for "Ranch Use"
    How it played out (Been a few years see if I remember it all)

owner (Shop): You cant do that legally
    Guy: But what if I use it for my personal ranch
    Shop: You cannot legally have that unless you have the license
    Guy: But its on my ranch
    shop: You still cant own it unless you get the license and those are kind of hard to get sometimes
    Guy: What if I pay YOU to make it an auto
    shop: Im not going to jail for a friend much less someone just walking into my store
    Guy: But what if I Promise not to take it off my ranch

I started laughing and jumped in hand on my knife and moveing closer (I could see the owners hand under the counter and the guy was acting real weird)

Me: If he does that he will goto jail with you for selling or modifying a gun
    Shop: Yeah and I dont know or like you enough to goto jail for you
    Guy (obviously not getting what he wants) walks to the door stops and turns around..waits and walks out.

The armory
    I went to see what they had (was told they had boker knives)
    STarted talking to the owner (I assumed) and he showed me how concealable a Kahr .40 is.
    So I am looking at this gun and im off to the right side with the owner and I can see about 2-3 other people who work there on the left near the front.

A guy kinda runs in and stops. Looks around and runs out there quick.
    Kinda a o.0 moment and thanked the gentlemen for showing me the pistol and promptly left.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Two Quick Stories from My Time in the Air Force

At a Navy base overseas my Air Force unit was required to "familiarize" with the Navy's M-14. The AF folks all qualified before arriving in theater, but the AF uses (used? I've been retired for a while.) the M-16.

The Navy armorer takes us to a range and hands out the weapons and tells us to take our firing positions. I, as the senior AF NCO present, stop him and explain we've never touched or seen an M-14 up close before; could we have a brief word about what and where eveything is? He points out the safety and fire selector and tells us these rifles area all modified and can't fire full auto.

We take our places and he gives the command to fire. On both sides of me the shooters empty their mags in about a second! I had a little trouble concentrating after that...

Soon after the above, we had a base wide exercise that lasted seven days. I came around the corner of a building to find several guys taking a break. One of them had a shotgun and was tapping the end of the barrel against a concrete step. I stop him and ask why he was doing that.

He confesses that he was leaning on the shotgun like a cane and had a plug of sod stuck in the barrel!

Fortunately, no one was issued live ammunition during this exerise. Only those with the M-14 had blank rounds; shotguns were all unloaded. I didn't let that guy have any weapons for the remainder.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links