What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop?

This is a discussion on What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; During a CHL class, the range master walked up to my stall on the range between courses of fire, loaded my magazine in my gun ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop?

During a CHL class, the range master walked up to my stall on the range between courses of fire, loaded my magazine in my gun and fired 2 in the dirt right in front of me. I was so shocked that this man walked up and not only touched my gun but loaded it and fired it with out my permission that I did not know what to say or do untill sometime later when I talked to the manager of a range. I have never been so shocked and pissed by someones off the wall actions that I could just say nothing untill that day.
    Another trip to the same range my wife and I met my cousin to shoot his recently deceased fathers ruger single six 22 along with my AR's. Knowing that all guns being shot where going to make little holes in targets I brought some shootnsee stickers with me and was applying them to our targets shortly after arriving. This just happened to be in a break in fire for a target change when a VERY early 20's kid walks up and says "all guns open on the bench" as he points to the ruger single six. Now I had left it on the bench hammer down with the loading gate open after checking it empty. I told him it was a single action revolver and that's as open as it gets. I guess he felt stupid for being corrected in front of customers so then he proceeded to ask me if I had bought the targets with the stickers on them or put them on myself. Now I would like to note for the 3 of us shooting 3 guns the range fee was almost 50 bucks, this includes 3 free targets and I bought 3 extras. I was not aware they sold the targets with hi visibility stickers allready on them, but he told me I either removed the stickers or I could not use them. The only reason I stayed after this point (I was absolutly livid) was I had allready paid a rediculous amount and my cousin had traveled a bit to meet us there. We finished shooting there that day and I talked to that same manager, and I have not nor will I EVER return to that range. This is Carter's Country in Spring TX by the way.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    One on myself when i was 14 getting ready for an elk hunting trip my dad bought me a brand ne ruger .270 he was shooting his .243 and had purchased ammo for both. He handed me the box of ammo and I loaded 3 in the .270 shot the first shot and it sounded kind of funny and was no where near my target. He had handed me the 3 .243 shells it was both our faults as I should have checked the ammo before loading so the very first round out of a brand new .270 was a .243 round. Its been bad juju ever since on elk hunting trips lol

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well . . . the guy next to me who put a .22 Mag bullet thru the center of his palm while showing his wife/girlfriend how to shoot . . . does that qualify?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Many (many!) years ago, 3 of us (teenagers) are in my buddy's basement shooting 22 shorts from his rifle at a target we set up across the room. Don't remember why but I got up to check the target after my buddy puts a few holes through it. My other friend shouts at my buddy who, unknowingly to me, was intentionally pointing the rifle at my backside. My (idiot) buddy says something like, "What's the big deal, it's unloaded" as he points it at an angle to the floor and proceeds to pull the trigger. Well, you know what happens then...yup, it goes off and puts a small ovoid shaped hole in the linoleum. I came "this close" to getting my _ss shot off that day. Needless to say, I never again went down in his basement for "target" practice.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    A student dry-firing his snubbie at the waiting room, revolver pointing downward at the showroom. Witnessing what he did, I brought it to the staff's attention and he got kicked out of class. That's an unsafe practice that I personally do not tolerate.

Aside from Gander Mtn's ridiculous used rifle pricing and policy of counting .22LR as handgun ammo, the dumbest thing I have ever seen is all of the "gangstas" in their early 20s asking to see all of the stainless, nickel plated, and chromed "nines."

I've been blessed with a private range, so I've been spared from the public.
    Last edited by tubadude; May 28th, 2011 at 08:49 PM.

I have a few my mom'e cousin is blind in 1 eye from letting his brother shoot a balloon out of his mouth with a shotgun, and yes they were both sober and total rednecks. I saw a moron in a pawn shop stick a shotgun between his legs and jump around stroking it like a.... well you know I've never been back to that place again. I had a doofus grab a holstered .44 mag I was carrying for deer hunting a few years ago. They negligently fired it as they somehow slid their finger into the trigger guard as they pulled it. Needless to say nobody will ever pull any weapon I have from a holster,pocket, or anything else ever again. I bet their ears are still ringing from the chewing out they got from me. Thank God nobody was killed or seriously injured from the incident.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

Senior Moderator
    Having worked in two different gun stores/range I have a list as long as I am and as I remember all of them I will likely post them...

1) A guy on the range is shooting away and pulls the trigger on his gun and it goes "click." He turns the gun around and looks down the barrel, shrugs and then puts it on the bench pointing downrange at which point it goes "BANG!" His face went so white. He came out of the range and said, "I'm done.. for a long time." He wouldn't even touch his gun to put it back in the case he was so scared.

2) A guy buys a new gun and wants to try it out. I'm on range duty and he's the only one in the range. I'm watching him shoot. I counted how many rounds he put in his magazine: 5. I counted the shots he fired down range: 4. He goes to pull the trigger again and nothing happens so he assumes the gun is empty and starts scratching his head with the muzzle of the gun WITH his finger on the trigger (this firearm DID have double-strike capacities). I RUN into the range and calmly say, "Sir, put the gun down." He puts the gun down, I pick it up and show him the round in the chamber. He literally started shaking. I allowed him to continue to shoot but only as long as I was standing DIRECTLY behind him.

3) I was training a new employee who was as new to guns as you can be. He was helping his first customer by himself but I was standing back and just observing. A good-ol'-boy regular customer who was kind of an idiot came in and was giving the new kid trouble and asked to see a Glock. The kid checks the gun (as I taught him) and hands it over to the customer. The customer proceeds to point it directly at the kid's chest and pull the trigger. The kid's eyes get the size of saucers and I lay into the customer. "Don't you EVER do that again! "
    "Oh, come on. What's the big deal. It's not loaded."
    "I don't care. It's still a gun!"
    When he left I proceeded to tell the kid that he never has to put up with that.. even from the regulars.

4) I'm at an instructor class and we were supposed to switch off being instructors and students for one another so we could practice what we were learning (mind you, everyone in the class is already supposed to be an instructor). I'm observing this guy and he's shooting a Walther P22. He pulls the trigger and if you know anything about the P22 you know you can still pull the trigger with the safety on and nothing happens. I tell him, "It didn't fire. You're safety is still on."
    "No, it's not."
    The class was still shooting around us and he tried again.. no shots.
    I say again, "It didn't shoot. Your safety is on."
    "Yes it did! And no, the safety is not on."
    The head instructor gives the command to holster and this guy flips OFF the safety and holsters his gun.
    I say, "WHOA! You just turned your safety off!"
    "No, I didn't!"
    He takes his gun out of the holster again and I say, "Yes. Your safety is off."
    "No, it's not."
    I tell him to look at the side of his gun where there is an "S" for Safety and an "F" for fire on the slide. He just up and fires a round in the ground about three feet in front of us.
    Head instructor goes ballistic! "WHAT WAS THAT?!? WHO WAS THAT?!?"
    Guy fesses up and says, "Me. I had a negligent discharge."
    Instructor says, "Why was your finger on the trigger?"
    He says, "I thought my gun was on safety."

I could go on all day.

How in the world can you think it shot when it didn't? I mean, I know it's just a .22 but still, you can tell when it fires.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    How in the world can you think it shot when it didn't? I mean, I know it's just a .22 but still, you can tell when it fires.
    When you've been shooting all day and there is a large volume of gunfire going on around you and your target already has holes in it and all you are shooting is a .22 it can be very easy to miss whether or not it fired.

I've had it happened with larger firearms as well. Especially if you switch from something that has a lot of recoil to something that has almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    Check this out for dumb.
    I HOPE AND PRAY this is fake.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMorris View Post
    I HOPE AND PRAY this is fake.
    I bet it's not. There's a whole lot of stupid in the world, and to be honest that's not the worst I've seen.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    Check this out for dumb.
    367.jpg
    I uh...
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

I was at my local range one Sunday afternoon. This range isn't a public one, but only costed $20 for a membership at the time. I normally don't like to go to the range on weekends because of how busy it gets, and how hard it is to shoot between rounds. I made an exception that day because I had just bought my X-Bolt and wanted to shoot it for the first time.

Well, that range has two sides split up with a big burm wall between the pistol and rifle sides. This was a new addition just added to the range that year thankfully for those of us on the rifle side that day.

On the rifle side we have 4 shooting stations. I was one of four guys that were set up according to the range rules and we had been following it all without any issues. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon and we were enjoying our time on the range aside from a couple of guys being slow to call clear after they got done shooting on the pistol range. All was good until some guy with his new AR rifle showed up. He was on the pistol range side closest to the rifle range.

Which is fine because that side of the pistol range is setup for 25 yard shots. All went well for the first round with him there. Then, on the second round of shooting we got the all clear. The four of us on the rifle side were all heading out to the targets to check how we did, and all of a sudden the moron with the AR rifle began firing. The dust he kicked up on the burm just in front of me scared the **** out of me. We all began shouting at the guy who didn't stop shooting right away.

Needless to say, we got his name, and he can no longer be a member of that local club. If the burm hadn't been added that spring between the ranges, the two guys in front of me would probably be dead or have a permanent disability now. I've never gone back to the range on the weekends since then.

RELOADS!!!!

Ok, this started when a frequent customer came in with "parts in a bag". Those of us who work behind the counters of gunshops recognize this, gun owner starts taking gun apart and can't get it back together so it comes to us in a bag. I assemble it for him and waive the PITA fee since he is a frequent customer. He takes the gun (S&W 66 Kframe) into the range and I go back to work. I'm watching on the camera a few minutes later and I see the gun lock up and him futzing with it. He fires a few more rounds and it locks up again. I head in, worried that I've done something wrong.

I find him sorting through his ammo in a Dillon box. He shows me that after a few rounds of magnum recoil the next rounds are jumping the crimp and locking up the cylinder. I'm releived until he shows me that he just pushes the bullets back into the case (with finger pressure) and then he can fire them again!

Your thoughts? and would your opinion change if I told you it was a pinned and recessed 66?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links