What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop?

This is a discussion on What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There is a thread about this running at another forum and it's been a pretty big topic. I've seen a lot of strange and dumb ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What is the dumbest thing you have seen at the range/gunshop?

There is a thread about this running at another forum and it's been a pretty big topic. I've seen a lot of strange and dumb things in the 20 years or so I've been working in gunshops but yesterday was one of the worst. Inspired by that bit of stupidity I decided to start a similar discussion here.

What is the dumbest, craziest, most jaw dropping, bizarre, or scariest thing you've seen?

My new number one occurred when I watched a customer blow up a round in his new XD .40. Saw a big flash and a cloud of smoke while watching the range through the window. The customer was having trouble opening the gun and for leverage brought it into his stomach so the muzzle was in a less than safe direction. He brought the gun out after another employee saw him with the gun pointing at himself and sent him outside. When I looked at the gun at his request I found a case with no case head and brass all through the action. Barrel was slightly bulged at the chamber. This was no "unsupported chamber .40" burst, this was a kaboom. I pulled the remaining case out pretty easy and when he saw it he pulled out a Sig .40 from his range bag with a "can you fix this one too?". Brand new Sig, same problem! He was evasive about answering where he got the ammo and eventually admitted it was reloads from some unknown source.

The Sig went back together, unlike the XD, but I still wouldn't fire it withoit having the factory look at it, and told him so and he went on his way, wallet full of the $10 or $15 he saved in factory ammo.

I have lots of stories from the shop and range, but I believe this is now number one. Comments and more stories are welcome and should make for a good read, I think I should start writing a book sometimes.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Nothing major aside from "somebody" (not me or my girlfriend) sweep everybody in the room after makingga good shot.

shot a 22 inside my moms house into the ceiling i was about 16 at the time

Seeing a clueless customer sweep 270 degrees of customers & store with a finger on the trigger. Although I was pretty sure the gun was unloaded, I still ducked below counter level!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

if bb guns count, we use to shoot pop cans off each others heads
    Westbay, bwalker25 and poppy37 like this.

A friend and I were the only one at the range when this tricked out SUV pulls in. A guy and girl get out and unload some gear. Now this girl is a real knockout and was wearing a what I guess you would call a mico skirt. The guy unpacks an AR carbine with all the goodies on it and sets up a chronograph. After the guy gets all setup and ready to start shooting his girlfriend/wife climbs onto the shooting rest and is umm, well lets just say she is giving everyone one a good look at what she isn't wearng under the skirt and pawing all over the guy. He never told her to stop or anything. Well he takes his first shot and hits one of the support for the sun shield for the chrony, the shield is still hanging in place but with a broken leg. Ok now my friend and I are having a very hard time not cracking up. OK since the chrony seems to still be usable he sets up for another shot. Now remember his girlfriend/wife is still showing all her assets down under and still playing with his hair and such. He lets off another shot and nails the chrony dead center of the display. The gut calmly packs everything up and leaves. At least my friend and I was able to control our laughing till he left.

Me and my buddies were out at a friends farm shooting various guns. When it was one guy's turn he was shooting his tech9 with FMJ 9mm rounds and a round ricocheted (off of a field rock I'm guessing) and came straight back and bounced off his shoulder and hit the ground right in front of him. It didn't hurt him, he said it hit him with about as much force as if someone tossed it to him. He said it ricocheted from far away, came back and bounced off the ground in front of him and up and hit him because he saw the puff of dust about 10 feet in front of him right before he felt it (he was shooting well out farther than that away, so it came back, hit the ground, and bounced up and hit him). He stopped shooting, reached down and picked up the projectile and casually said, "I just got hit." That was both strange and scary.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

A range employee demonstrating the Crimson Trace grips on the back of his coworkers head.
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

Brand new Sig, same problem! He was evasive about answering where he got the ammo and eventually admitted it was reloads from some unknown source.
    I would almost bet they were his own reloads and had no idea what he was doing,but blew up a couple of guns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Some of the prices that stores seem to think that they can get away with, when their competition within a 50 mile radius has that same thing for significantly less...
    jwhite75 and bigdog44 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I was at the range last year and signing in at the front counter when a thugged out homey had his 9mm jam. I didn't get a good look at it unfortunately. He was trying to be cool in front of his girl and came out from the range to ask for help. He pointed it square at the chest of the guy behind the counter as he said something around the likes of, "Yo, this is broken man". The look on the range employees face was of pure murder but he kept his cool and quickly pushed the guy's hand to the side. He then proceeded to have a very important conversation with him. After I went in and was setting up, they came back into the lane next to me and the range employee proceeded to empty a full magazine in rapid fire to which the thug got extremely mad as he "was wasting my ends yo". They promptly left.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Once a few guys were requalifying for their carry permits at the range, and the instructor was acting as rangemaster. One guy couldn't load his magazine, couldn't figure it out. He couldn't lock back his slide, didn't know it locked back. He swept the line, several times. It was unnerving. He was renewed. That was unnerving, too.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    A guy at at a local indoor shooting range in Costa Rica tried to impress a couple of lady friends by doing the "tacticool" walk while shooting in an IDPA scenario. He took three side steps, slipped on an empty shell casing, fell face first on the concrete with his hand on the trigger and almost shot himself in the head when the gun negligently discharged and shot the ceiling. I packed all my stuff, left the shooting area immediately, reported the incident to the range officers and then proceeded to make myself cry in laughter on my way home! What a Douchebag!!!!
    Harryball, atctimmy and gdm320 like this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    The ol' timer behind the counter out front apparently wanted to be my friend and was talking my ear off. He then wanted to show me what he carried and revealed a snubby, which he handed to me (this guy and I have never met before). He told me to "try out the trigger on that". I popped the cylinder open and pointed out that it was loaded. He laughed and said "Oh yeah, you probably want to unload it first".

I handed it back to him, snubby in one hand and rounds in the other and quickly departed before he could reload. Public ranges scare the tar out of me.

I was at our local range with my wife and a buddy from work. We were doing our thing safely until this guy and his wife/significant other show up, unload their gear, an AR type rifle and a few pistols. She has a nice little brand new .380 that he is "teaching" her to shoot. That is until she points the thing round-in-chamber directly at me while he is pointing down range at the target and "instructing" her.

I give them my most serious death look and jack a round into the chamber of the .30 M1 carbine that I was shooting and kind of back away. The look on his face was just ghostly white when he realized what she was doing. He gently pushes her hand towards the target and takes the pistol from her hand. She didn't get to shoot much that day. One can only imagine the chewing out she got.

A bit later we were just standing and he kind of comes up and asks what kind of rifle I was shooting. I let him pop off a few rounds from the M1 and he let me shoot his AR type so it all ended well.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links