Suggestions on Western style range gun

This is a discussion on Suggestions on Western style range gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone shoot .22's anymore? Looking for a SS western style range pistol, maybe something that could double as HD also. Looked at ruger blackhawk ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: Suggestions on Western style range gun

Does anyone shoot .22's anymore?
    Looking for a SS western style range pistol, maybe something that
    could double as HD also. Looked at ruger blackhawk models and Uberti's.
    Any thoughts? I know a .22 is not for HD, but I have a G23 with me always.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

For a western .22, the Ruger Single Six, or Bearcat, is the way to go.

For bigger bores, a lot of the SAA clones are imported from the same manufacturer in Italy, under a number of names, the biggest difference in price is for cosmetic stuff among those brads. I have a Uberti in .45LC, that works just fine for me as a range gun. I want to pick up one in .357 sometime in the future too.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Your carry is a semi-auto, why not a .22 semi-auto? Just curious.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

JD
    Administrator
    I think there's some special edition Ruger Vaqueros that are .45ACP capable, that's a little more "Western" but I've been wanting a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in .45ACP for a while now. There's another Ruger Convertible in .357/.38 and 9mm.

I always liked the old west revolvers. As a kid I had a colt peacemaker .22/22mag.
    Boy do I wish I could still have it stashed away. But back to why a revolver/ I think they are
    cool lookin,reliable and just lookin for a fun old western style gun for some range fun! I enjoy
    shooting big bores but the ammo expense limits range time for me. I practice w/ my G23 about twice a month.
    I just saw a Ruger .357 blackhawk that blew me away. But also did see an EAA bounty hunter which really caught my eye. i know very little about these types of revolvers,need help on a choice for a simple reliable gun in this area. Everyone knows Ruger is a great gun but EAA, need reviews.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

This is only my opinion, but if you just want a "Western" gun for the sake of having one, and aren't much of a purist, go with a .357/.38, as opposed to the more "purist" rounds like .45LC or .44-40 or the rest of them. The reason I say that, is that ammo is cheaper, and more plentiful. In my area, .45LC is hard to find, and about $30-35 per 50 when I find it. So a .357 would probably see more range time.

I prefer the 4 3/4" or 5 1/2" barrel lengths, they tend to balance pretty well.

Also, Rugers tend to have a more modern safety system. I know my Uberti has a traditional type hammer, as opposed to like a transfer bar, so I leave a chamber empty to put the hammer down on.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Thumbs up

Nice ,thanks buckeye, .357 is what I have been looking at for the 357/38 combo. Ammo prices play a big part in a range gun . Gun show in 2 weeks so I can get a feel for what I may like. The bbl. lengths you mentioned are a great choice also.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

My favorite gun store has a monthly flier they put out with their good deals. In this month they have an Uberti .357 or .45lc with the matte finish and brass trigger guard/backstrap with a 4 3/4" barrel for $280, of an Uberti in .357 or.45lc with color case hardened frame and a steel trigger guard/backstrap, in 5 1/2" or 7 1/2" models, for $350. If either of those interested you, PM me, and I will send you a link for the ad, and the name of the gun store.

EDIT: The store is in Ohio, you will need to do a transfer, but if you get a fair fee, it would still be a pretty good deal.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I'd 2nd the choice of a Ruger Vaquero - mine came with 2 cylinders .45LC and .45ACP. It sees mostly .45ACP due to price and availability in my area. Mine is the older style frame, which is thicker/heavier than the new models, which I think are modeled more closely to match the Colt SAA in size and weight. Fun range and hiking trail gun if open carry is an option. It has the transfer bar safety so all 6 chambers can be loaded.

Cool

Thanks alot Buckeye for the info offer. I'm working a local gun show next weekend here in florida and i'm sure to find one! If not i will PM you. Thanks all for your help.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

[QUOTE=buckeyeLCPL;1931437]For a western .22, the Ruger Single Six, or Bearcat, is the way to go.

Yep.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Links