Share your stupid stories - Page 2

Share your stupid stories

This is a discussion on Share your stupid stories within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Once I fired my .357 after forgetting to put one of y earbuds back in. ear rang for months. Thats the stupidest thing Ive done ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Share your stupid stories

Once I fired my .357 after forgetting to put one of y earbuds back in. ear rang for months. Thats the stupidest thing Ive done so far. My unlce put a round through my Motherinlaws floor once clearing a firearm. that guys pretty dumb....he knew there was a round in it.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Keisukekun View Post
    Once I fired my .357 after forgetting to put one of y earbuds back in. ear rang for months. Thats the stupidest thing Ive done so far.
    I've fired my .357 without ear protection. And my 45. And my 12ga. I have to say, though, the .357 is by far the most 'noticeable'. Ears rang for about 45 minutes after the last shot was fired.

Not that it was entirely pleasant (although I did like it- a lot), but you have to occasionally practice without ear protection. Simply because it does you very little good to practice accuracy, and handling (even FOF training) if you don't know what kind of bang you're going to make. When it comes down to it, you have one hell of a noisemaker in your hand hat just happens to launch a lethal projectile; you have to know what to expect after you pull the trigger on that noisemaker. And know how to react with your whole head ringing and unable to hear anything.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I've fired my .357 without ear protection. And my 45. And my 12ga. I have to say, though, the .357 is by far the most 'noticeable'. Ears rang for about 45 minutes after the last shot was fired.

Not that it was entirely pleasant (although I did like it- a lot), but you have to occasionally practice without ear protection. Simply because it does you very little good to practice accuracy, and handling (even FOF training) if you don't know what kind of bang you're going to make. When it comes down to it, you have one hell of a noisemaker in your hand hat just happens to launch a lethal projectile; you have to know what to expect after you pull the trigger on that noisemaker. And know how to react with your whole head ringing and unable to hear anything.
    This is going off topic, but I would discourage firing weapons without hearing protection. Nothing in training is ever really going to replicate a real lethal encounter, it may come close, but it will never get all the way there. So I see no sense in causing permanent damage to my hearing, when being able to hear is a good SA skill to have. Gunshots sound a lot different in a gunfight than they do on a range, because of all the adrenaline and stuff pumping through your body. You can continue damaging your hearing if you want, but I want to keep what is left of mine.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    This is going off topic, but I would discourage firing weapons without hearing protection. Nothing in training is ever really going to replicate a real lethal encounter, it may come close, but it will never get all the way there. So I see no sense in causing permanent damage to my hearing, when being able to hear is a good SA skill to have. Gunshots sound a lot different in a gunfight than they do on a range, because of all the adrenaline and stuff pumping through your body. You can continue damaging your hearing if you want, but I want to keep what is left of mine.
    I've only done it a couple times. Mostly so I don't 'mess myself' the first time I pull the trigger without ear protection. Every other time I have earplugs in. I know it damages your ears- especially after long exposure- but I would rather make sure I know what it sounds/feels like without so I know what to expect.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I shot my cousin in the back of the head with a BB gun when I was about 8. It was an accident, we were sitting on a log pile shooting at these dead berries hanging about 10 ft away, well he was in front of me and I didnt know any better and he stood up and took one to the head. It just bounced off no damage other than him punching me in the mouth

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    One of my close relatives had a problem with possums getting into his garage. He shot the first one with a 22lr, no problems. The next one he was out of 22's, so he got out a deer rifle and shot it. The round went through the possum, ricocheted off the garage floor (taking a divot out of the concrete) and punched a hole in the roof.

An "experienced" security guard at a company I worked at was showing a new guard the ropes. Took him out in the SUV they used to patrol the grounds, showed him the shotgun kept mounted inside, demonstrated that "you should never rack a round inside the vehicle" and proceeded to shoot out the transmission.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    I shot my cousin in the back of the head with a BB gun when I was about 8. It was an accident, we were sitting on a log pile shooting at these dead berries hanging about 10 ft away, well he was in front of me and I didnt know any better and he stood up and took one to the head. It just bounced off no damage other than him punching me in the mouth
    Stuff like that is bad, but it still made me LOL.

It's kind of like bear cubs play-fighting, and in doing so, learn what works and doesn't work in the real world.

First, when my brother-in-law was about 12 years old, my in-laws let him have a paintball gun. There was no gun safety handed dawn with the gun as my father-in-law is fairly gun-ignorant. So, my BIL is in there backyard plinking and the gun jams. What does anyone with a squib do? He looks down the barrel and pulls the trigger. The next round did not jam. I just happen to be on the phone with my future wife when this goes down and I could hear the screams from the backyard over the phone. He ruptured his orbital and lost the vision to his immediate front, so he only has peripheral vision in that eye now. My FIL is still anxious about firearms, although I have offered to teach him. His daughter is well trained now that she married me!

Second, as a 2LT I was on an Abrams range. Someone did not lock a gate down range. Although there were signs warning people not to enter, a Chaplain opens the gate and drove on to the range. This is right as I was preparing to shoot my lane. As luck would have it, both the loader and I stuck our heads out of the hatches first. We saw this guy driving down the range road, right between two targets. For those that have never shot a tank, an SUV looks a lot like a range target. <-Someone please beat that one!
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

My Father in law has some property here and I was out there with my GF (now wife), and my brother, shooting my Glock 17 and 10/22. We were situated where we were shooting into a large berm/hillside. My brother, about 13 years old, was shooting my 10/22 and started popping shots off rather quick. Everything was fine until I turn around to see a white dodge farm truck come crushing through our gate and barreling up to us. This guy gets out and starts saying he is going to kill us. (This guy was beyond mad, I did not have my ccp at the time but if I had it at that time. I probably would have drawn....he was that mad, and coming at us.[my g17 was still in its case, unloaded] )
    Turns out he has a house on the other side of the hill. He heard shots and started walking TOWARDS THEM. (really?!?!) I guess a few of the .22 bullet were ricocheting and making that familiar .22 *twaing*
    Took me 30 minutes to calm him down. He finally saw that his house was in no danger and he left.

2 years later we were shooting at the same property (although we moved to the far side as to avoid further problems with said "neighbor") and I was shooting my AK...an AMD 65. If you have never heard an AMD 65 with my muzzle break.... its the loudest gun you have ever heard. No joke.
    Anyhow, same guy shows up at my gate (didn't run through it this time....thank you very much) saying his mother owns a house on THIS side of our property and the noise was scaring her. Funny thing is that on the 3rd side of the property is a gun range... gunshots non stop from sun up to sun down. We had a rather civil conversation and he realized the goofyness of his visit and he left.

Last year I was shooting into a pile of dirt on my uncle's farm. After about 150 rounds a guy in a ghilli suit tells me to quit scaring the deer. He was bow hunting on our property in may! Yes he did leave.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    Second, as a 2LT I was on an Abrams range. Someone did not lock a gate down range. Although there were signs warning people not to enter, a Chaplain opens the gate and drove on to the range. This is right as I was preparing to shoot my lane. As luck would have it, both the loader and I stuck our heads out of the hatches first. We saw this guy driving down the range road, right between two targets. For those that have never shot a tank, an SUV looks a lot like a range target. <-Someone please beat that one!
    I can't beat, but might can match it; We were lobbing 5" shells at an inflatable target over the horizon when a fishing boat wandered onto the gun range. At first, I thought it was a little girl screaming over the radio. It wasn't until he calmed down that we understood that it was the captain of a fishing vessel.

penetrated through 12-14" (of sheetrock)
    Sheetrock one foot thick? Really? Please explain.

Sheetrock is usually 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" or 5/8" thick.
    limatunes likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Two gun scares and one slingshot incident.

The closest public range isl about 45 min. away. Let me just say I now drive the extra distance to the next closest due to these incidents.

There were about four stations in use on Pot's Mountain range, We had all been shooting for a while and one of the shooters wanted to change out his target. Everyone put their firearms down and two of the four went down with new targets. I was just waiting and looked over to my left and noticed the other guy who didn't go down range had his black powder rifle in a rest and was messing with it. I got out the words, "Hey you shouldn't... (BOOM!). It didn't hit anyone but we were pretty pissed at him.

Same range a different day: I was about half way through a 30 round mag on my LWRC M6A2 and noticed peripheral movement through the EoTec. A shooter had decided to walk down to his target while I was shooting. I flipped on the safety and blew up. His response, "I wasn't going to walk in your lane."

I was about eight and my brother and I had been given wrist rocket slingshots by my grandfather. My bro is two years younger than I and being stupid kids, we decided to use each other as targets. We were smart enough to put on safety glasses and heavy sweatshirts, and not to use rocks for ammo. We were using wood chips. We had been "dueling" back and forth when I made the ultimate score. I pulled back and got a perfect shot to his nether region as my mother came out onto the back deck. He doubled over and I took one hell of a beating for that as she was scolding me about how he may not be able to have kids now. Haha! and he had a little boy in December of last year.

Several years ago, a hunting buddy of mine was out during the pre-season shooting groundhogs in one of fields owned by the farmer from whom we leased the land. He didn't get any that day, but when he got back into his truck to head back to our hunting cabin, he reached over and pulled the trigger on his .22-250 to release the firing pin spring. Of course, he had neglected to unload it, and the rifle discharged. The round went through the floor board and severed the brake line. He was teased the whole year about his truck being the only thing he ever shot which had horns.

^ haha that's a good one. I remember hearing Louis black talk about these two guys from Arkansas on there way home from hunting frogs with 22's. a fuse blew (not sure which) in the truck on the drivers side panel inside the door. The guy found that a .22 fit perfectly into the fuse slot so he put one in there and it worked. When the bullet got hot enough it shot him in his left testicle while he was driving. Not sure if it's true or not and I know I said to keep the thread to your experience but it was hilarious listening to him tell the story.

We should rename the thread "The Darwin Awards"
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links