Share your stupid stories

This is a discussion on Share your stupid stories within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Chiefrcd...et al. You reminded me of the time that I was about 12 and snuck out of the house at 1AM. I went out by ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Share your stupid stories

Chiefrcd...et al.
    You reminded me of the time that I was about 12 and snuck out of the house at 1AM. I went out by the garage and lit a long fuse to a M-80. I figured to be back in bed by the time it went off.
    All went as planned and I waited. And waited. And waited some more. After about a half an hour I snuck out again to check it. Just as I poked my head around the corner of the garage it went off. Scared me half to death and got me busted big time.
    Last edited by Zsnake; June 9th, 2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Remove Ads

this happened my second time shooting a shotgun and first time shooting with a pistol grip. yall can probably guess what happened. i raised it to aim and pulled the trigger, busted me in the mouth. i spit out two teeth in pieces and a lot of blood. a lesson i didnt have to learn twice. the pain wasn't that bad, the dentist bill hurt worse.

Years ago I used to be into mechanics and did some work on a guy's car in exchange for a Raven Arms .25. I didn't want it and my boss did so I sold it to him. That night he showed it to his neighbor who took it, racked the slide and promptly shot my boss in the butt.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I can't beat, but might can match it; We were lobbing 5" shells at an inflatable target over the horizon when a fishing boat wandered onto the gun range. At first, I thought it was a little girl screaming over the radio. It wasn't until he calmed down that we understood that it was the captain of a fishing vessel.
    here's one for you:

1988 or so. On board USS Wisconsin, BB-64 in the Gulf of Mexico. (I am an FC2 at the time) We had a helo full of government types show up from NAVSEA. They were there to take high speed pictures and film of the fire ball that erupts from the firing of the 16 inch guns on an Iowa class battle ship and we will be required to fire the guns several times over the course of 3 days. We were of course all for it as any chance to fire the guns is always welcomed. (Yes, by the way, I did fire the guns. A total of 26 or more times) These guys have us train turret 1 off the starboard side of the ship, 90 degrees, and they start setting their extremely expensive camera equipment up right by the life lines, directly under the barrels of turret 2. We, being the main battery fire control division tell them that this is not a good idea (It is not a good idea because the huge fire ball that you see when the guns fire isn't especially concussive, but it does burn all the air up and after it dissipates, there is a rush of air in from all sides to fill the void or near vacuum.) they tell us basically to F off and that they are from NAVSEA and they know what they are doing. Further, it becomes apparent that they intend to be right there with their equipment when we fire. No amount of trying to convince them that this is a really bad idea works and so we just shrug and say OK.

The time to fire comes and we count down and fire turret 1. Right away, all their expensive camera equipment is sucked over the side and heads down to Davy Jones Locker. All their hearing protection is sucked off their heads, one guys contact lenses are sucked out of his eyes and he initially thinks his eyes are burned because he can't see well. In short, their 3 days of collecting high speed images and film of the fire ball just ended. They loaded up what they had left, mainly empty equipment cases and their personal bags, and got back on their helo and departed.

We got in a little trouble because the Navy felt we should have known better than to fire the guns with them there, and in reality we did but they insisted they were government G-men and they knew what they were doing. So, in the end, we didn't get in any real trouble. but it was probably still a dumb thing to do. But it sure was funny.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Luckily I don't have any firearm related stories to add here. I have done my share of stupid things, but so far I have been good with firearms. I do have some fireworks related stories though. Here's my favorite.

While living in SC with my in-laws, we stopped at a fireworks stand and picked up some some fun for July 4th. Later, we were in the back yard setting off bottle rockets and my brother in law aimed one at me and hit me in the chest. In one pure luck combination of aim, distance, and timing, I fired one back that exploded as soon as it hit him in the groin. He didn't want to play "bottle rocket war" after that.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

We were teens out squirrel hunting with a buddy who was new to the sport. We carried .22s but he had a 12 guage 870. We came to a sink hole with water in the bottom and several frogs around the water in it. I shot one, buddy Bob shot one, and the new guy steps up. He asks "Should I?" Now this thing is about 3 feet deep--I looked at Bob, Bob looked at me and said "Sure!". As John aimed in, we ran. <BOOM!> and a geyser of mud shot up, covering John's face and chest. He looked back, laughing and said "Got him"...<g>
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I shot a 3 inch care bear, in an easter egg, sitting in my living room. Lesson 1, do your dry fire with no ammo around to be found. Lesson 2, don't watch T.V. while dry firing. Lesson 3, if your wife has a care bear, do not use it as the target while dry firing. It was a good shot, got him right in the face ;)

VIP Member
    this happened a few years back & I related it in a thread about the stopping power of the AR platform.

I was having some problems with foxes killing some of our chickens. So I set up an ambush one night. I put a fresh chicken carcass, on one of our fences, where the miscreant was coming out of the woods to get to the barns. I attached it to the middle strand of barbed wire & also attached a drink can with a couple of pebbles in it (a make-shift bell). I put a baby monitor outside the barn, where when the can was shaken, by anything pulling on the carcass, it would alert me.

About 2am I hear the can being shaken......& I'm off with an AR to dispatch said critter. I get outside & am about 100yards from the carcass. I had a Surefire light mounted to the AR, that's why I picked that rifle to use. I put the gun up, pushed the button for the light & see two eyeballs shining back at me..........'Eureka! HE'S MINE!' I think to myself......I press the trigger & the eyes disappear.....I run closer & get a bad feeling. I find the chicken carcass & a couple of drops of blood, which lead off towards the barn.... I'm now getting a worse feeling......I follow the blood trail to the bush hog on one of the tractors in the barn.....& there are the eyeballs staring back at me!.....Only problem......It's our cat!

The shot I made was literally perfect......I hit him right in the center of his chest. The bullet exited near his shoulder blade. It left a small hole in & a slightly larger hole going out (the bullet had started to tumble). It didn't hit anything vital. The cat survived.......Today, you would never know he'd ever been shot.....He just hates the sound of gun fire now..............

I learned a couple of things......Get a BIGGER BRIGHTER light & Use hollow-points! (...although the cat's glad I was using ball ammo).....
    Last edited by goawayfarm; June 11th, 2011 at 10:14 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Won a browning A-Bolt 308 with BOSS as a door prize. That weekend drove up to the farm, set up a target @ 300yds, set my rest up on my truck box and promptly blew the back window out of my new F-250. forgot about the concussion
    atctimmy likes this.

TN_Mike

Don't ya just hate it when you have to say "Told ya so"? Love that story. Nothing like a gobment know it all.
    Am currently working on the model of Big MO. 4.5 feet long. What a great ship.

It wasn't me but we were walking back to the road after walking a grass covered irrigation ditch pheasant hunting,we were about 15yards from the road when a Cock jumped up,one guy shouldered his gun and shot,he missed the bird,but put a perfect circular pattern of birdshot in his passenger side truck door,which is why they got the Rule "Make sure of what is beyond your target before firing"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links