AR-15 / Buying Online

AR-15 / Buying Online

This is a discussion on AR-15 / Buying Online within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, So I may be in the market for an AR-15 at sometime in the near future (just graduated college, got a job.....looking for ...

AR-15 / Buying Online

Hey guys,

So I may be in the market for an AR-15 at sometime in the near future (just graduated college, got a job.....looking for a present for myself ). I'm not really looking for a super expensive AR, just one for fun...so I was looking at maybe picking up an S&W M&P15 Sport...people say they can get them from around $600 (Listed at $705 MSRP).

However, I ran across an interesting forum post today from someone who said they picked up an M&P15-OR for only $650 ($1070 MSRP). The Sport is basically the same thing as the OR but with a lot of features dropped from it (Chromed barrel bore, dust cover, forward assist, etc.) He said that you basically just have to search the sales, and you can get a much better rifle than the sport for basically the same price.

That brings me to my next set of questions: Where should I search for deals? What online gun sites are legitimate? What experiences have you guys had with buying guns online?

I've never bought a gun online before, so I'm really in the dark about the whole process....where to look, prices you can get, blah blah blah.

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks in advance!
    Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.

- Andrew Fletcher 1698

CMMG, Bud's Gun shop, J&G gun sales are all reputable places to look online for guns.

You are going to need to pay a transfer fee for wherever you buy it from to send it to a FFL in your home state, and then you pick it up from the gun store. Any of the places listed about should be glad to help you set up the transfer and answer your questions.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Don't know your level of experience with guns or any of that but if you are not super familiar with the many makes of AR-15's then a local GS is your best bet. There is nothing wrong with online purchasing but to learn, understand, and many times get really great advice I would not try to save $50 by avoiding the LGS.

Some of what I like most about range days is going to GS and learning. Most there are LEO's or retired military. They understand guns and love the hobby. What I learn is invaluable. Well worth a few bucks extra. Many times they will also come very close to matching online price or throw in a few boxes of ammo since I'm a regular purchaser.

The other great thing buying local is the obvious, you support your local economy, but also if something goes wrong they will either help fix it or send it back. All good. Sorry for rant but didn't want you to not think about this side of things. Good luck with purchase and enjoy the AR. They are really fun. I have several thousand rounds through a DPMS and it is flawless. Many here do not seem to like them but my experience is great.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    Don't know your level of experience with guns or any of that but if you are not super familiar with the many makes of AR-15's then a local GS is your best bet. There is nothing wrong with online purchasing but to learn, understand, and many times get really great advice I would not try to save $50 by avoiding the LGS.

Some of what I like most about range days is going to GS and learning. Most there are LEO's or retired military. They understand guns and love the hobby. What I learn is invaluable. Well worth a few bucks extra. Many times they will also come very close to matching online price or throw in a few boxes of ammo since I'm a regular purchaser.

The other great thing buying local is the obvious, you support your local economy, but also if something goes wrong they will either help fix it or send it back. All good. Sorry for rant but didn't want you to not think about this side of things. Good luck with purchase and enjoy the AR. They are really fun. I have several thousand rounds through a DPMS and it is flawless. Many here do not seem to like them but my experience is great.
    Yeah, I suppose I probably should have mentioned it, but I'll definitely be checking a couple of gun shops around town first. There's a shop probably 20 minutes from where I live that can usually get you pretty good prices...I'd much rather do business with someplace close than have to have it shipped from who knows where. Just wanted to make sure I was checking the online market, as well.

Also, I would consider myself to have a good bit of gun experience (for being in my 20s anyway), as I'm a hunter and hobby shooter. But I definitely don't have any experience with ARs.
    Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.

- Andrew Fletcher 1698

You have to watch for prices that low, they may not include iron sights.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I got mine, SW ar15 for 599, it was a flat top and had to get iron sights and a red dot for it. It is the OR with the chrome lined barrel. The deals are around but you have to look. I am lucky being only 70 miles form Buds, Smokin Arms, Classic, Antique and Modern, and Centerfire Systems. Lexington Ky is a great place as far as gun shops go!! The ar was gotten at Smokin Arms in Paris Ky.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Gunsmoke Enterprises has lowers on sale ocasionally for $65, and Model 1 Sales or Del Ton or a host of other companies can set you up with a good kit around $450 or so. Why not build your own? It's a totally easy project for anybody with minimal skills.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links