Driving to Texas, what should I know?

This is a discussion on Driving to Texas, what should I know? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Instead of driving to Memphis to pick up my kids it look like I'm going to be driving to Dallas. I have my Ohio and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving to Texas, what should I know?

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Driving to Texas, what should I know?

Instead of driving to Memphis to pick up my kids it look like I'm going to be driving to Dallas. I have my Ohio and Pennsylvania permits.

Just curious what info I should be aware of in Texas and just for kicks where would be a good area on Dallas to stay?

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    There are several great areas of Dallas to stay in and it really depends on how much you want to spend. As for what to know you should really go to the Texas Department of Public Safety website and read up on Texas law. The two that come to mind quickly are restaurant carry and 30.06 signs. I would read up on both of those laws and understand them. Other than that enjoy your stay. Feel free to pm if you want any info on hotels or restaurants.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Instead of driving to Memphis to pick up my kids it look like I'm going to be driving to Dallas. I have my Ohio and Pennsylvania permits.

Just curious what info I should be aware of in Texas and just for kicks where would be a good area on Dallas to stay?

go to handgunlaw.us for info
    all I can tell you is that the no gun signs you may see on businesses are for real and are backed by law, do not ignore them
    as for areas to stay, without knowing your budget it is hard to say, if you can spend the big bucks the Joule in downtown dallas is great, otherwise head towards the northern side of dallas for the better areas to stay in

Budget for Dallas is going to be low. This is unexpected and my expenses are now doubled (driving twice as far, twice as many meals, twice as many hotel nights).

As far as I know I will be traveling through OH, KY, TN, AR, TX.

I know I am good with Ohio through Arkansas and then TX accepts my PA. I will check the Texas DPS site shortly.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I feel it is only fair to warn you, if you have never been to Texas before you really need to be alert. I came here for a friends wedding at Fort Hood one Valentines day. Three months later I was flying down from the D.C. metro area shopping for houses!
    Here is the link to DPS.
    TxDPS - Concealed Handgun Licensing

Everything you need to know regarding carry can be accessed through the "Additional Information" area there.
    Sorry I can't help you with Dallas info.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I've visited Houston a few times. I've learned the following:

* Lots of great looking women in at least Houston
    * Hot, hot, hot (during summer)
    * Everyone likes to drive fast
    * Never separate a Texan from his Whataburger

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I feel it is only fair to warn you, if you have never been to Texas before you really need to be alert. I came here for a friends wedding at Fort Hood one Valentines day. Three months later I was flying down from the D.C. metro area shopping for houses!
    I drove last year but I admit I was unarmed the whole trip. I know Dallas looked rough, the only other spot I got out of my car was a rest area on I30.

I wont be house shopping in TX, my ex already loves there, I will stay in Ohio.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Check the Texas DPS site.There are two signs you must observe,which you can read about on the DPS site.Stay off Federal property,keep out of school buildings.This is not legal advice,just what I read in the TX. CHL book and other areas.Something I do,when I travel,print the ccw laws from the states I will travel to.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Get you some "HOT LINKS" IN Mt. Pleasant .......................dang there good.

The parts of Ohio I have spent time in were nice, but for me, Texas was love at first sight.
    Only been to Dallas once and that was to go to the fair. (gotta love that fried beer!) All I can tell you is Dealy Plaza isn't as big as I thought it would be, and some of the neighborhoods south of the fairgrounds look a little sketchy. When I had to replace a belt and tensioner on the truck I was glad I was armed.
    But even in a questionable area the guys in the parts store were very friendly.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Lived in Greenville, Texas for 10 years and really loved it. There was a restraunt near Love Field called The Underground --------------, the atmosphere was like WWII bunkers. It was really cool.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Check the Texas DPS site.There are two signs you must observe,which you can read about on the DPS site.Stay off Federal property,keep out of school buildings.This is not legal advice,just what I read in the TX. CHL book and other areas.Something I do,when I travel,print the ccw laws from the states I will travel to.
    I plan on only stopping for gas, test area (avoid when I can), hotel and food. This is a turn and burn trip, I will arrive in Dallas Friday afternoon and be on my way home saturday morning.

Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Gunbuster signs are worthless,Texas 30.06 signs in 1" contrasting letters in both english and spanish are legal,do not carry past those signs,51% alcohol signs,if you go into a bar it will more than likely derive at least 51% of business from on premise alcohol consumption do not carry there.theres a few others,but those are the usual ones,If stopped by LEO you must inform that you are armed and show license,don't expect them to get too excited in Tx anyone that can legally own a gun can carry it in their vehicle without a permit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What about a hotel lobby that has a bar in it? Iv stayed at a few places where they have a bar in or near the lobby in the common or in areas.

Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    What about a hotel lobby that has a bar in it? Iv stayed at a few places where they have a bar in or near the lobby in the common or in areas.

Regarding the hotel bar, just look for a "51%" sign at the hotel bar. By law they must post it if they make 51% of revenue on on-premise alcohol consumption. If it is there, you can't enter while carrying.

There are any number of hotels lining highway 75, 35, and 635. Pick one. You're only staying one night, so no biggie. Better than "good" places, I can tell you "bad" places to stay. Avoid Oak Cliff neighborhood and the towns of Irving, Garland, and Mesquite. No offense to anyone here that lives in any of these places but they aren't good travel destinations and some have higher crime rates than other areas in DFW. For the most part, pick a hotel North of 635 unless you want to see downtown.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links