Keltec PF9 is OK

This is a discussion on Keltec PF9 is OK within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I reluctantly purchased a PF9 for $269 thinking that even if it didn't last long or shoot very well I only needed 7yds in 9mm. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keltec PF9 is OK

Keltec PF9 is OK

I reluctantly purchased a PF9 for $269 thinking that even if it didn't last long or shoot very well I only needed 7yds in 9mm. I took it to range and what a surprise how well it shot at 7,10,15yds. Kept everything in (except a couple) the 8, 9 and 10 ring. Kick was not bad at all. Book says to fire 200 to 250 rounds thru it to get it broken in, I fired a 100 rounds and only had one jam.

Weapon conceals very well as good as some of the .380 ish type of pistols. I wanted a 9mm for carry gun and now I have one. I will put the Hornday CDI ammo in it. I can't believe all the high dollar pistols I own and will carry a Keltec PF9.

fknipfer1

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Let all the naysayers bash Kel-Tec.

I have a P-11 and it is a well functioning pistol.
    It is my go-to-work-and-back gun,{I leave it in my vehicle during the day}.
    Crappy trigger compared to most, but after 500 rounds will nary a hiccup, I'd say I got my $289 bucks {circa 2009} worth.
    I can hit where I'm aiming at ten -15 yards, {not so much my nephew and others}
    I carry an M&P in the evenings and around the house/vacation type deal, but for what it is, [11 rounds of 9mm], you can't complain.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

the pf9 is one of the lightest most compact 9mm available,for $269.00 it's hard to beat..

VIP Member
    An old geezer I know carries the PF9. For the money, he dosen't worry about losing it after a shooting. KT's are cheap, and they seem to work fine, like a Hi-Point works as a house gun. For example the P3-AT is the cheapest and lightest 380 for around $200. But you'll pay for a good trigger. IMO the best DA trigger on a small 9 is the Rohrbaugh, more than 5 times the money. I wouldn't mind having a closet full of PF9's for bartering after the end of the world tomorrow.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar

Kel-tec PF-9 - a low-cost but solid compact weapon

I bought my Kel-tec PF-9 along with my Glock 17 - my first weapons. While the PF-9 is a bit snappy (especially the trigger), I've been able to train with it for a year now & am quite confident in carrying it as my concealed weapon. I've only had 1 or 2 FTE's in my first 1,500 rounds, possibly due to limp-wristing it.

If you have large hands, as I do, make sure that you buy the extended base plate for the magazines as that little extra bit for your ring finger makes a difference. I also invested in a low-cost Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve & only had to trim off a small overhang at the back of the grip base - this sleeve greatly improved handling in wet or dry conditions.

I've carried it around with both a Remora IWB and a Bianchi model 100 Professional IWB holster (Great holster! - 19228 for RH or 19229 for LH) & it's reasonably comfortable to carry.

Good luck with yours!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I had one and really liked the feel but was not able to shoot it well. The gentleman that bought it loves it. I always thought Kel-Tec CNC offered great value for the money.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I just bought one of these yesterday for 269, Haven't shot it yet

I also have a PF-9 that has been totally reliable with about 1000 rounds through it. I'd recommend the Keltec Owners Group forum for alot of good information (KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group)

I bought 2 of the the other day. One for me and one for my dad. This is after 2 days of carrying:

I will say of course that I called Kel Tec and they were surprised and I am returning the slide to be replaced. But I'm just sayin.... Expect the worst and hopefully you'll get a good one!!

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I bought the SS model several years ago and have to say good things about it. It has never failed to fire or eject. My only complaint about it is the trigger and it has improved over the years.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    I bought 2 of the the other day. One for me and one for my dad. This is after 2 days of carrying:

I will say of course that I called Kel Tec and they were surprised and I am returning the slide to be replaced. But I'm just sayin.... Expect the worst and hopefully you'll get a good one!!

^^^^^^^ASK IF YOU^^^^^^^^^

Can get them to ship you a parkerized slide.
    My P-11 is parkered and its fine.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Ianator -- Wow! How, may I ask, were you carrying it?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    An old geezer I know carries the PF9. For the money, he dosen't worry about losing it after a shooting. KT's are cheap, and they seem to work fine, like a Hi-Point works as a house gun. For example the P3-AT is the cheapest and lightest 380 for around $200. But you'll pay for a good trigger. IMO the best DA trigger on a small 9 is the Rohrbaugh, more than 5 times the money. I wouldn't mind having a closet full of PF9's for bartering after the end of the world tomorrow.
    I know the Kimber Solo isn't DA but that trigger is sweet.

It's summertime and it's getting hot which means sweat,I live in S Tx heat index hit 111 the other day,I have a SS 1911,but my blued gun would start rusting if I carried IWB and didn't wipe it down good,somebody recommended renaissance wax to keep your gun from rusting.
    BTW I own a P11 for several years now and 12 rounds of 9mm in a cargo short pocket isn't too bad
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I was carrying it in a Kangaroo Holster. Kangaroo Carry (I don't work for them or anything... just recommended to me)

I do sweat alot in this Texas heat but I was dumbfounded by the rust after only 2 carries. But they are making it right. I am hoping they will ship me a parkerized one because they manufacture in batches. so...they make 1000 blued and sell all those off, then 1000 parkerized one and sell those... They are not making blued ones right now so I am hoping they have some extra parkerize ones laying around. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links