Nice to know this old girl can still shoot.

Nice to know this old girl can still shoot.

This is a discussion on Nice to know this old girl can still shoot. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; JD and I are taking the NRA Personal Protection Outside of the Home certification course this weekend. Sometimes in life we can't get to the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By limatunes

Thread: Nice to know this old girl can still shoot.

Senior Moderator

Cool Nice to know this old girl can still shoot.

JD and I are taking the NRA Personal Protection Outside of the Home certification course this weekend.

Sometimes in life we can't get to the range as often as we like and while we do what we can with some dry fire or maybe a quick range session or two, there are times we go a couple weeks without so much as a single live shot fired.

I used a borrowed .22 for most of the class this morning and at the very end of class one of the instructors taped 2 combustible reactive targets up on the range and each student took turns shooting 2 shots at the little 1 & 1/2 inch disks from about 8 yards away.

Everyone was so close and a couple of people nicked them bit still neither of them ignited.

JD brought his new HK .45 with him to class and since the .22 I was borrowing was shooting just a little high and to the left I traded that in for his HK knowing it would be accurate when it was my turn to try.

I've never shot JD's HK before and haven't done much shooting of any kind in a few weeks. I put 2 rounds right on top of one another just about an inch above the first reactive disk shooting for point of aim/point of impact the way my Wilson would aim.

Since no one had succeeded in shooting the disk we were allowed to move to the next line and try our hand at it a second time.

I got to the front of the line, JD handed me his HK and said, "6 o'clock hold."

I said, "Well, why didn't you tell me that in the first place?"

I adjusted appropriately, took one shot that nicked the outside of the disk and the second shot sent it up in flames.

Not a minute later JD followed my example by lighting up the first disk by also adjusting for a 6 o'clock hold with the HK.

I don't mean to brag but it sure felt nice to be the only girl in class and the first one to make the explosive shot!

Should have gotten a picture of that!

VIP Member
    Old? This thread should read "Nice to know this young lady can still shoot".
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Congratulations, young lady. You two are a pair to draw to...I mean with.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    I know what you mean about time. Some days I wonder if I should even bother going home or just sleep and shower at the office. At one point in time I could pretty regularly make it to the range twice a week. These days I am lucky if I make it twice a month.

That is life. You stay a prepared as possible and take whatever opportunities you can to refresh those skills.

Good shooting!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

I wish I could have there to see it light up. my wife shoots better than me also.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    If your "old" Lima, that must make the majority of us on here ancient! Good shooting, but you need to slap JD for not telling you about the 6:00 hold before the first round.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    LOL on the " Old Gal " jargon ............ however, I'm just curious as to why you didn't have your own firearm with you?
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    LOL on the " Old Gal " jargon ............ however, I'm just curious as to why you didn't have your own firearm with you?
    A miscommunication. The instructor told us just to bring 600 rounds of .22 ammo and that he'd be providing guns. When we got there his reasoning was that he wanted to save the students ammo costs but that we could have brought our own guns if we wanted. I took my Glock with me for the second day.

I do prefer my own guns.

Ya need a conversion kit Mel. Shoot .22 when ya want, shoot 9mm when ya want. Nice job Youngun!
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Sponsored Links