Which nightstand gun safe to purchase?

This is a discussion on Which nightstand gun safe to purchase? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know this is probably asked frequently but I haven't seen a poll for one. I have a larger safe that I store my firearms ...

View Poll Results: Which pistol box to buy?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homak pistol Box$45

1 3.33%
  • Gunvault GV1000 $100

18 60.00%
  • Stack-On PDS-500 Drawer Safe $48

5 16.67%
  • Other. Please specify

6 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which nightstand gun safe to purchase?

Which nightstand gun safe to purchase?

I know this is probably asked frequently but I haven't seen a poll for one. I have a larger safe that I store my firearms in but I need something to keep by my bedside so the little one can't get a hold of it. I want something that is pretty quick to access if needed at night.

I probably would get a GunVault but while they mostly get decent reviews, there are plenty of bad reviews about them. If I am spending that much money on a small safe, I want 95% of the people to love them. So I am looking at a few cheaper options that get good reviews also.

http://www.amazon.com/Stack--PDS-500...6107181&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV100...6106364&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/HOMAK-HS100366...107293&sr=8-27

2. Remove Ads

I have the Homak. It works but I keep waking up in the morning with a stiff neck because I keep it under my pillow for instant access. I guess that in my case I should have gone with the thinner Gunvault.

I'm kidding of course. I do have the Homak. I wouldn't keep my gun locked at night if it wasn't for the fact that I have a kid.
    joker1 likes this.
    "An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject."
    Anon.

VIP Member
    I have a gun vault and another one by winchester that works well too. Get the gun vault with the light.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have the GV1000 standard. It is rather large to sit on top of the night stand. Since you're looking at other smaller sized safes, maybe the GunVault Micro-Vault would be more your size.

Oh, and check the prices on them at Sportco.com. They seem to have some of the lowest prices I've seen.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I use the Gun Vault mini. I keep the key in it and the door open until a kid or hoplophobe comes over. I like the strong opening spring. If only I could remember the code.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I have a gun vault and another one by winchester that works well too. Get the gun vault with the light.
    Does the Winchester look like the Stackon I linked from Amazon? Walmart has a winchester that looks indentical. I guess they are made at the same place.

How is the Winchester compared to the GunVault?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    On the Gunvault: I too had noticed the lousy reviews along the number of good (1 bad for every 3), but decided to get one (MV500 Microvault) when my gun shop had a decent sale on them.

I've had nothing but good luck with mine in the first year of use. I'm still on the same set of batteries even though I use it multiple times a day. I did turn off the audible feedback because it was generally annoying, & because the LED feedback gave me what I needed. The buttons do feel mushy & work better using a keyboard-like angle for the best operation, but with mine cabled inside my top bedside drawer I have no problem when opening it from a prone position. I like the option of using simultaneous button pushes within a combination, along with being able to use a button more than once. I have rarly had to enter my code more than once to get in, & never when angling the vault to conform to my fingers (or laying parallel to the vault). I feel confident in having it hold my home defense weapon (Glock 17) when I'm home &/or in bed. The Microvault - MV500 can hold a full-size pistol & up to three 17-round mags. I've just purchased another of the same model to hold my carry weapon in my car when I have to leave it behind. For something similar, but with mechanical buttons & no key, V-line makes a line of decent gun safes - I have the V-line closet safe for my stash when I'm away from home & love it.

No matter what you choose, good luck & be safe. (no pun intended!)
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    On the Gunvault: I too had noticed the lousy reviews along the number of good (1 bad for every 3), but decided to get one (MV500 Microvault) when my gun shop had a decent sale on them.

I've had nothing but good luck with mine in the first year of use. I'm still on the same set of batteries even though I use it multiple times a day. I did turn off the audible feedback because it was generally annoying, & because the LED feedback gave me what I needed. The buttons do feel mushy & work better using a keyboard-like angle for the best operation, but with mine cabled inside my top bedside drawer I have no problem when opening it from a prone position. I like the option of using simultaneous button pushes within a combination, along with being able to use a button more than once. I have rarly had to enter my code more than once to get in, & never when angling the vault to conform to my fingers (or laying parallel to the vault). I feel confident in having it hold my home defense weapon (Glock 17) when I'm home &/or in bed. The Microvault - MV500 can hold a full-size pistol & up to three 17-round mags. I've just purchased another of the same model to hold my carry weapon in my car when I have to leave it behind. For something similar, but with mechanical buttons & no key, V-line makes a line of decent gun safes - I have the V-line closet safe for my stash when I'm away from home & love it.

No matter what you choose, good luck & be safe. (no pun intended!)
    Thanks. I will look at those models also.

I have a larger Homak than the one you are looking at. It takes up some space on the nightstand but is reliable and has plenty of room for my GLOCK 19 and a spare mag, hell I could keep much bigger guns than that in there if I wanted.

I had originally voted for the gunvault and posted this before I changed my vote to the Homak. So 1 vote for Homak!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member
    I've had the Gun Vault model you listed for a year and a half now and have had no issues with it at all. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

I also have this Stack On (Amazon.com: Stack-On QAS-1304 Low Profile Quick Access Safe with Electronic Lock: Home Improvement) which is bolted inside a cabinet to the furnitures top, but it can also be bolted through the bottom.

Both are good safes and I wouldn't hesitate to get another from either brand.

I had not heard of the Homak safes before your post but I do like the profile of the small and medium safes. They would probably work better on top of a night stand if thats where you are planning on keeping it.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I have two GunVaults, one upstairs in our bedroom, and another downstairs in my study. The upstairs one is a Multi Delux, the downstairs one is a Multi Standard.

I'm of the mindset that if there's a bump in the night and the alarm's blaring, I'd rather have a bedside firearm available WITHOUT the need to open a safe - no matter how quick/easy it my be or should be to do so - but my lifestyle, in that I have a 5 and 1/2 year old daughter (who is very good about gun-safety, but still, she's just a kid) who may come into our bedroom at night, unannounced. So I weigh the pros and cons, and the GunVault holds my HD handgun, extra magazine, and flashlight (yes, my handgun already has a light on it, but I prefer to search with a separate hand-held).

Downstairs, I use the other GunVault for the same reason as I do upstairs: I disarm when I get home, and my EDC goes into the safe in "Condition I," with a dedicated holster for that purpose - my thought is that the less I manipulate the firearm, the better.

Coming out of the safe - where the holster keeps the trigger protected - I'd thus make the assumption that the pistol in-question is in "Condition I." I verify with a press-check that there's one in the pipe, and I'm good-to-go.

I'm a newcomer to the community: I've really only been shooting since last November, and that's when I purchased my safes. Neither have had any trouble, and my downstairs one is often accessed multiple times per day. I used GunVault's recommendations in terms of replacing the batteries, and I have not had any problems (the Delux also comes with a household-current 12V adapter).

One thing I'd like to share with others here is the thought that you should train/drill with the safe, if it is indeed going to be your SHTF first-line defense. It was only through the drills that I realized my initial combination setting did not produce reliable unlocking - and what's more, that where I'd hidden the backup key became completely inaccessible if I'd accidentally drop it...something that could easily happen in an emergency situation.

Gun Vaults have a Standard and deluxe model. I think the deluxe has an interior light and a AC adapter (which I think would be great).

So if I go with the GunVault, for about $98 I can get a Deluxe mini 1000 or for $105 I can get a standard 2000 which has 2 shelves but none of the extra features of the deluxe model.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ That's correct - I apologize for not having fully gone into the discussion of the Delux versus Standard models, but yep, that's what I hinted at, above.

Part of the reason why the Delux is upstairs in our bedroom is because it has the 12V-wall-adapter: it allows the batteries to function truly as backup, while it draws household current on a daily basis.

The LED illumination in the Delux model is both good and bad.

Good? It is dim - and won't sear your eyes when you go for that safe as you roll out of bed. It's timed to switch off after something like 5 or 10 seconds: more than enough time and light to grab your magazines/flashlight by, but will switch off to offer your safe-room the added safety of being totally dark.

The bad? It's single-tier, coming from the top ("under the keypad" area), so it won't illuminate the tier below, if you're using the divider. In that the light is dim and timed...that can also be a disadvantage, for obvious reasons.

VIP Member
    Then GV1000 isn't designed for a bedside drawer, so I use the MV500-STD. I can pop it open quickly, in total darkness.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Then GV1000 isn't designed for a bedside drawer, so I use the MV500-STD. I can pop it open quickly, in total darkness.
    Well I actually was thinking of using it on top of the nightstand but I guess the MV-500 is more suitable for the bedside. It really isn't that much cheaper than the larger 1000 so maybe that is why I just never bothered to look at them.

Does the Mv500 have a backup key also?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links