300 H&H vs 375 H&H vs 35 Whelen - Page 2

300 H&H vs 375 H&H vs 35 Whelen

This is a discussion on 300 H&H vs 375 H&H vs 35 Whelen within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have to admit that I like off-beat but capable cartridges so that 9.3X62 sounds appealing. Initial cash outlay might be a little higher when ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 300 H&H vs 375 H&H vs 35 Whelen

I have to admit that I like off-beat but capable cartridges so that 9.3X62 sounds appealing. Initial cash outlay might be a little higher when obtaining dies and components for hand loading but once acquired then you'd be there. Future care and feeding of the rifle would be pretty inexpensive unless one was going to shoot hundreds of rounds per year.

Once knew a fellow who built a custom bolt action rifle up on a late vintage Remington produced 1903 action and chambered it for .358 Norma Magnum. Was a lot like shooting a .338 Winchster Magnum. Looks good on paper and looked good over the chronograph. Would be about as off-beat to find as a 9.3X62.

I like the notion of the .35 Whelen and have an action earmarked for a custom rifle in either .35 Whelen or .358 Winchester, haven't made up my mind on that. Don't really have a needful hole to fill between the .30-06 and the .375 H&H Magnum in my sporter rifle collection but it'd be fun to play with.

Another round that Glockman10mm mentions is the grand ol' .300 H&H Magnum. I've long been intrigued by that one. Some of the older Lyman manuals show slightly higher max velocities for .300 H&H Magnum handloads than they do for .300 Winchester Magnum. Now most .300 H&H Magnum rifles of yore possessed 26-inch barrels which would certainly help velocities. I'd want a 26-inch barrel on a .30 Magnum anyway. I like longer barrels than are currently popular.

To my mind, the .30 caliber is the smallest bore diameter where "magnum" capabilities might be meaningful. The .30 Magnum rounds can do things with .308 component bullets in the 180-220 grain weights that yield some impressive down range punch.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks for your input bmcgilvray, always informative and helpful. Yes, the grand ol 300 h&h was what I would really have decided on , but I have found since posting the thread, no one makes it. Although, a patient and diligent man could maybe find one in good condition at a show.

There is something about the looks and lines of the heavy express rifle that makes long for a tent in the elephant grass in the valley below Kilimajaro, camp fire going, smell of burnt cordite while I clean my rifle, and the sounds of lions making deep gutteral sounds in the distance....... Sorry, got lost in longing thought there for a moment.
    Guess I'll have to settle for Kentucky hills, hoot owls and coyotes for now.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Thanks for your input bmcgilvray, always informative and helpful. Yes, the grand ol 300 h&h was what I would really have decided on , but I have found since posting the thread, no one makes it. Although, a patient and diligent man could maybe find one in good condition at a show.

There is something about the looks and lines of the heavy express rifle that makes long for a tent in the elephant grass in the valley below Kilimajaro, camp fire going, smell of burnt cordite while I clean my rifle, and the sounds of lions making deep gutteral sounds in the distance....... Sorry, got lost in longing thought there for a moment.
    Guess I'll have to settle for Kentucky hills, hoot owls and coyotes for now.
    Glockman have you looked into who makes a 9.3X62? I don't know of any off the shelf rifles in that caliber. Everybody makes a .375 H&H. They will probably be easier to find in the exact configuration you're looking for. My guess is that the European makers will have a better choice of rifles in 9.3X62.

ETA: It looks like Ruger makes one.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

atctimmy, the ruger hawkeye African model looks like a great rifle. I handled one yesterday but it was chambered for the new 375 Ruger, which is basically a short action round. If I do choose the 375, it will have to be a CZ because ruger doesn't make the H&H, which, to me is stupid considering it's popularity, even more so than the 9.3x62. At least if I chose the 9.3, they make it. Oh well, decisions are what makes picking out and purchasing a new gun so much fun.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I can't recommend anything other than the 375 for you, because I don't know everything. But here's what I did in my situation.

I have an AR10 which takes care of CQB, hunting, and sniping to 500yds. I wanted a medium bore for larger game AND sniping to 1000yds. After comparing all the ballistic data on calibers and bullets, I found that the 338 Win Mag pushing a 250gr boat tail to be superior to 350's and the 375 in long range trajectory and energy retention. The 338 bullet has more energy AND momentum than those of the small bore 300 mags at any range, especially 1000 yards. At close range with 300gr solids, I think it will do everything as well as the 375, even in AK. With light 175gr deer loads, it could take the place of my 308, if I didn't want to look so tacticool in the woods. The only thing I wouldn't want to try with the 338 is large African stuff, like Buf and El. If I ever get an opportunity to go to the dark continent, I'll build a 454 Lott; to heck with my bad shoulder. But that's just me.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Thanks gunthorp, but the 338 is too boring. I am not a sniper anymore,so that's a non issue. I know of other cartridges that I would choose over the 338 for that also. I want something that not many people have. And either the 375 or 9.3x62 will do for all African game, although maybe not the best choice for pachyderms. But thanks for the suggestion .

VIP Member
    Your most welcome. Choosing a rifle is a many splendored thing. Nothing beats sniping with the 50BMG. The Army likes the 300 Win Mag, but I just wanted something that would work better on elk and moose at long range, too. I used to think the 22lr rifle had no use whatsoever. The rifle bug bit me when Ruger came out with a 16" bull bbl, target trigger 10/22. I put a 4-16X42 Nikon mil dot on it, and try to kill pop cans out to 200 yds. Cheap thrill.
    Rugers 10-22.jpg
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Gman,

I have owned a Remington 721(A), 24", 300 H&H since JC was a teenager and owned a Whitworth Express .375 H&H for about ten years. With a couple exceptions you can hunt anything on the planet with that pair of calibers. They are exceptional. From rabbits to moose and all but the largest bears the 300 H&H performs well. From lightweights to a Barnes 250 gr bullet, considered the top killer by both Elmer Keith and Chuck Hawks. Kieth preferred 4350 and Hawks 4831. The caliber, even in heavy loads is not unpleasant to shoot and accurate in the extreme.

The 375 H&H, unless downloaded, is a brute, but is close to a semi in its knockdown ability.

Your being interested in more than merely getting the job done and being a reloader, I would suggest a diligent search for both calibers. I think that you would be well satisfied with the results.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I have absolutely no knowledge, let alone experience, in any of the calibers that you've mentioned.

All that I know is, most of the African lore that I read, includes a .375 H&H.

So, my vote has neither experience nor science, but rather a bit of nostalgia and romance

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Guantes,

thanks for the input. I have been on the inet non stop reading up on all three of these. My head is starting to hurt from the research. From what I'm seeing, any of them will work for me, but the 375 may be too much unless I can download for bench testing. One reason that I give pause to downloading is the same reason I prefer the 44 spl over downloading the 44 mag. Although I am not recoil sensitive, I want to be able to shoot off the bench without getting a dislocated shoulder. But , then again, maybe I can work up to it. The 300 is very very appealing, and so is the 9.3.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Component availability for the 9.3x62 does not look that bad to me. Both Hornady and Lapua make brass. Lapua cases are renown for their high quality. On bullets, there is the Hornady Interlock, an extremely popular bullet design. And Nosler makes their Partition and Accubond bullets in that caliber too, and Barnes and Lapua both offer two 9.3 bullets each as well.

If you do buy a 375 H&H, think outside the box and consider buying a used gun. I've seen lots of 375 rifles available for sale used where the owner either had second thoughts, or simply never got around to using the rifle. So they are often in like new condition.

The Remington 700 XCR is a great rifle I've seen available used in 375 H&H, as well as the 700 KS from their Custom Shop. Winchester Model 70 Super Express rifles and Browning A-Bolts are two other rifles I have often seen available used in 375 H&H at good prices. These are all fine hunting rifles.

Here is a lovely Winchester 70 Super Express in 375 H&H for sale on GunsInternational.com for $999:

There is a super ideal on an excellent Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 375 H&H for only $495!!

And here is a real nice Remington 700 XCR, also on GunsInternational.com:

There is a gorgeous Sako 85 Greywolf in 375 H&H on GunsInternational too:

So there are loads of excellent, truly outstanding rifles in 375 H&H to choose from. And you can often find them used at good prices.

In fact, if you do want to get something new, but also a bit unique, this year a limited edition stainless Browning X-Bolt in 375 H&H is one of Browning's 2011 Shot Show specials. This rifle will only be made in 2011.

A dealer has one of these listed on Gunbroker.com, and it looks gorgeous:

Ok, its been 18 months, have we made a decision? Inquiring minds would like to know.
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

300 H&H vs 375 H&H vs 35 Whelen

I am a huge fan of the 35 Whelen and have taken a lot of game with it. The performance on Elk sized game is excellent. The 275 grain loads work very well.
    Check out the coefficient on the weight class, it's excellent.

I was very sad to see the 350 Remington Mag go away that was a huge favorite as it allowed the 35 caliber rounds in a short action, great for carbines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    Ok, its been 18 months, have we made a decision? Inquiring minds would like to know.
    Yes, 9.3x62, Ruger Safari.

Nice choice! Now there's a round you won't find at Wally World...

I'm interested to hear what handloads you've cooked up for this one, and how far down you can load it (for deer?). My 'cookbooks' listing the 9.3x62 start with a 250 gr bullet, and I'm guessing the bore size mandates a pretty heavy bullet. More of that silly "enquiring minds" stuff, you know.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links