"Coolest" shot you ever made....

This is a discussion on "Coolest" shot you ever made.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by RockBottom I was at a customer's house. He had a hornets nest that he wanted me to take care of. As we ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: "Coolest" shot you ever made....

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    I was at a customer's house. He had a hornets nest that he wanted me to take care of. As we were looking at the nest, I hear him shout "Look out!!!". I wheeled around and fired, knocking a hornet out of the air at fifteen feet with a B & G sprayer equipped with a pinstream tip and loaded with Dursban and DDVP. As the hornet dropped like a stone, I heard my customer's words of appreciation..."Damn, you're good."

When the pressure is on... and it really counts....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    When the pressure is on... and it really counts....
    Pure reflex and couldn't do it again if you paid me...but it looked good at the time.

About 20 miles east of Hutchinson Kansas,January Goose Hunt,Beretta A390 12 gauge,gaggle of geese setting into the decoys fired 3 shots dropped one goose,Musta been 40 below zero that is probably the coolest shot I ever took,usually it's above 0 or warmer when I hunt
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

3 pigeons sitting on a branch about 30' away. Took my first shot at the middle one with my BB gun, he dropped straight down. The other two look at each other with what I imagined to be a "Where did bob go?" look. Pumped the gun up and took a second shot at the one on the left and he dropped. The last one started looking around trying to figure out where his other buddy went. Dropped him on the third shot. Stupid city pigeons.

When I was a competitive archery target shooter, I got invited to go out to an outdoor range with some buddies that do a lot of hunting. I'm used to scope shooting indoors at a fixed target 20 or 30 yards away, putting all shots in a spot the size of a poker chip. I caught a lot of flack from them since there was no way I could handle various ranges and targets, since I was cleaning them out indoors (friendly game of nok-nok - where you shoot at the other guys arrow trying to basically ruin it). After the first shot outdoors I decided my sight was useless for gauging holdover aiming, so I remove sight, & stabilizer, and reset my anchor point for my draw hand up about 3 inches and start with the instinctive shooting. I went 19 for 20 in the kill zone at the targets ranging from a prairie dog to a deer at ranges from 30 yards to 100 and trashed 4 of their arrows vs their 75% actually hit the target. They had their fancy 5 pin sights with their preset ranges. Last time they challenged me to anything.

My first IDPA match, Texas star @ 10 yards, 5 shots, all steel down in 4 seconds shooting out a 3 port wall (2 shots, move to next port, etc.). I have yet to clear that star since then in less than 10 shots.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    During my M-16 quals utilizing standing/kneeling/sitting/belly prone positions, I scored 198 out of 200 from 250 yds. using only my iron sights. Didn't think I could hit anything until I examined the target afterwards. That was back in 2000 when I was assigned to Naval Security Force in Yorktown.

I was the passenger in a police cruiser in a pursuit in the late 70's. The suspect had tried to run us off the road and other cruisers also. We pulled up alongside and I blew out two tires with a Remington 870. We were so close I practically touched the tires with the barrel. He ground to a halt and was arrested, (after a vertical buttstoke). Things were different back then and it was safer too.
    64zebra likes this.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

My most recent "coolest shot" was with a brand new SIG SP2022. I bought the gun, took it home and gave it a thorough cleaning, and then went to the range. My very first shot was dead center on the target! First time for me that has every happened with a new gun and I was very pleased with it!

VIP Member
    My coolest shot was hunting pheasants. The first time I ever shot a pheasant, I dang near stepped on it. The bird launched about 3 feet in front of me and it sounded like a helecopter taking off. I quickly shouldered the gun and shot the bird when it was about 6-8 feet off the ground and less than that from my muzzle. The shot hit the bird when its wings were fully extended and it went through its armpits. When I went to clean the bird, the heart and lungs were gone. We never found a pellet in the meat.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The best shot I ever made? Actually it was with a paintball gun at D-Day Oklahoma. I was allied, defending the church in Colleville from the second story. There was a guy about 110 yards away rolling on some allied troops from behind a berm. I had a bead on him but didn't think I could make the shot. I angle way up and start trying to walk it in. After about 5 shots I think I have him, and he realizes I'm shooting at him. He turns, looks straight at me, stands up and waves. My next shot nails him dead center between the eyes.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I think the best shot i ever had was in a bar.
    Backnblack likes this.
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    My coolest shot was 1977 on a coyote at about 100 yards. I was moving rolls of hay from the hay field with a tractor and running back to the hay meadow to ppick up my next two rolls when I spotted a yote chasing bugs in the freshly cut field. I carried an antique Winchester 1893 gallery pump 22 short only rifle in a scabbard on the tractor fur fun. I knew these coyotes well enough to know they weren't scared off by vehicle sounds unless the sound changed dramatically. So, I clutched the tractor and adjusted the throttle to keep the sound as close as I could and the yote didn't seem too disturbed. First shot lobbed in about 10 feet in front of him, kicked up some dust and he chased the dust cloud (didn't even hear the .22 short over the tractor) and kept digging. Second shot hit at his feet and he kept looking for the bug or field mouse. Third shot hit broad side, heart lung and he dropped like a sack of rocks. With a tiny .22 short. Next trip hauling livestock to the slaughter house near the court house a couple of days later that coyote got me five bucks bounty from the county agent. When he heard it was taken at near 100 yards with a .22 short he wanted to double the bounty....I was really hoping he would. Life was different 30 plus years ago

surv

Administrator
    The coolest shot I've ever made was on a sporting clays field. One station had two birds launched at the same time from opposite directions. I shot both birds as they crossed paths. I wish I could say that I meant to do that, but I didn't. My plan was to get the bird from the right as it crossed in front of me, and shoot the one from the left from behind making an easy second shot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

[QUOTE=Sticks;1943098]3 pigeons sitting on a branch about 30' away. Took my first shot at the middle one with my BB gun, he dropped straight down. The other two look at each other with what I imagined to be a "Where did bob go?" look. Pumped the gun up and took a second shot at the one on the left and he dropped. The last one started looking around trying to figure out where his other buddy went. Dropped him on the third shot. Stupid city pigeons.

LMAO

Administrator
    Another one I had was just a fluke, but a cool one at that.

My father in law bet me lunch that I could not hit his gongs with my S&W 36 he uses for black powder rifles while we were standing in his driveway. The gongs where a little over 100 yards away. I planned on buying lunch anyway, so I took him up on it. I shot the first four and missed, and the last one I just casually sent down range, more to just get rid of the 5th round and unload the little J than to actually hit anything. I did use a point shooting technique and no sights. To both our surprise a loud booooonnnnggg rang out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Great stories!

My bathroom window faces my backyard and woods. I keep a .22-.250 in the bathroom "just in case"

A couple years ago I was doin' my business in the bathroom I look out the window and theirs a groundhog digging in the backyard about 40 yards away. I stand up grab the rifle (pant's around my ankles), chamber a round, and shot him right in the butt. The round went through his behind and out the back of his head.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links