Defensive Carry banner

"Coolest" shot you ever made....

7K views 96 replies 85 participants last post by  Easy8 
#1 ·
We’ve had the “Dumbest” thing you’ve done or seen with a gun and the “Stupid” stories so I thought, how about one on the coolest shot you ever made. One day I was pheasant hunting with some friends when we came to a small patch of trees and tall grass in the middle of the field we were in. The kind that is good cover for the birds. It was small so I just let my dog Kona wonder in while I walked around it. I was carrying a double barreled 12 ga. and just had it hanging at arm’s length in front of me. Suddenly Kona flushed a rooster of course surprising the crap out of me. I swung the shotgun and made a great shot dropping the bird. One of my buddies exclaimed, “Did you just shot that bird from the hip”? Sure enough I had not shouldered the gun, I just dropped it from the hip.

#2 ·
With a gun?? probably taking out a crow in the air with a .22 (it was at the farm and the area was safe) I have a red dot on that gun and we went around the barn to go plinking and the crow took off and I shot NEVER thought I would get him. With a Bow I shot a ground hog @ 108 yards one time.

#3 ·
Shooting clays in my buddies yard...we were practicing the trick shots like Tom Knapp. They threw two out over a big empty bottom pretty far apart so I had some time I shot the first one with the gun upside down then flipped it pumped it and caught the second just before it hit the ground. Couldnt do it again if I had to.

#5 ·
We were pulling up to camp and a fox was in camp eating our dove carcasses. We startled him and he takes off into a ravine...I chase him, with my XD.40 and stop at the top of the ravine. He hesitated, at 22 yards, for a glance back at us. I pull up the XD and fire. Perfect shot, drops him. My buddy could not believe it, lol, as he does not shoot his pistol much. I told him that is what you can do if you actually shoot them occasionally, lol.

#6 ·
I was showing off a wrist rocket sling shot to my brother. He took it, put a stone in it, spun around and let fly from the hip. 50ft away, crash. I had to pay for a new humming bird feeder.

#7 ·
Floating down a river in a raft after an unsuccessful bear hunt. Shot a duck in flight @ about 20 yds with a 22 revolver.
I can't say it was skill.

#8 ·
Oh have had quite a few one in a million shots that I couldn't do again and probably some I shouldn't admit.

1. I was about 15 with my .38 revolver and shot a running jack rabbit at 52 yards.
2. Pheasant with a youth bow 18 yards just as he flew up
3. Coyote through the jaw as he looked behind him on a dead run at 760 yards (the shot was left of him and he turned right into it)
4. Turkey with a bow at 72 yards never even flopped around just died
5. 3 canadian geese in one shot with a twelve guage
6. 800+ yard shots on prarie dogs (luck wasted more ammo trying than hits made)
7. 20 for 20 on clays with an old single shot 4.10 now im lucky if i'm one for 5

#9 ·
My buddy and I were shooting our P220's at empty shotgun shells standing up about 20 yards out. Super tough shot to even hit one. My buddy manages to hit the shell. It flips around in the air and lands, upright, in exactly the same spot where it first stood. Nice

#10 ·
Running across to the Bahama's out in the middle of the gulfstream with nothing for miles and miles when we spot a mostly deflated helium ballon used in keeping live baits close to the surface floating off the port bow about 35 yards away. We throttle back in 2-3 ft seas and I take out my 6906 from the center console of the 28' Whitewater and make a snap shot offhand from the rolling boat. The ballon explodes in a shower of spray and that night when we are in Treasure Key all my fishing buddies talk about at the bars is the great shot "Wyatt Earp" made on the way over. :image035:

#11 ·
I've had a couple fun shots that were just luck, but probably my best intentional shooting was at a quarter size spinner target at 75ft, open sights on an ancient bolt action .22, standing. I think I rang it ten times without a miss. My dad and his buddy standing next to me couldn't even see the target well, let alone touch it with the .22. They intended to lay down and try at it a bit, and decided not to bother at that point, hehe.

I was rather proud of going 30/30 shooting clays a number of times with a horrid old mossberg pump 12ga clone knockoff. Had to stop after each set and re-tighten the barrel screw to keep it from flopping around, and the stock screw kept backing out too.

One of the scariest shooters I ever saw in person was a retired Marine friend of mine who could shoot skeet with a 10/22 almost as well as I could with a 12ga.

#12 ·
This first one wasn't me, it was my dad and I'll post on his behalf since he is hunting ducks in heaven.

My dad, me, older brother, grandad and the friend who owned the land, were duck hunting from the bank of the Pecos river in west Texas. Ducks fly down the river to a reservoir and its a blast (no pun intended) to get 'em.
We were all stretched out apart from each other down the bank and 3 came screaming down the river. All of us take shots at these ducks and not even a feather comes off in the air. My dad is the last in the line and I see him raise his Winchester 1300 full choke and fire all 3 shots quite rapidly BAM BAM BAM, followed by thud...thud...thud....them hitting the ground dead.
At 11 years old I just sat there staring in amazement. :smile:
Still brings a smile to my face remembering it.

Not anything outstanding, but was weird.......
I had my Win '94 30-30 24" out shooting with my older brother. We sat some beer cans up on the ground to shoot with rifle and pistols. I hadn't shot the Winchester in awhile. About 15 yards out I line up the sights on the can, aiming for the second O in the word Coors. Pop the round, dirt flys up behind the can....can still sitting there. I'm shocked, no way I missed that. Chamber another, aim for same O. Again dirt flys up, can still sitting there, never so much as shook. I'm ticked at this point and have to go look at it as there is NO WAY I missed it once much less TWICE. Get to can and there is the hole in the middle of the O. I had put 2 rounds through same spot but the can didn't go over. I'd never thought a can would do that.

I did shoot a coyote @ 75 yards with that 30-30...right between the eyes. Won wager with my buddy shooting his scoped 22-250 saying I couldn't hit him in the head with only iron sights at that distance :yup:

Oh, and there was the time in the academy a group of us were shooting at one of the guy's land, had targets setup in a ravine about 20-25 yds away. Group of guys shoot COM, bragging/trash talking about their groups, etc. I step up with my G21 and put eyes and a smile on the head a la Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon, wasn't as perfect as that but close enough to make them stare at me speechless for a few seconds LOL. That won't ever happen again.

#16 ·
This is gonna be a fun thread...

Zebra reminded me of one of the shots that made me realize what a stud my dad is.

We had a ground-hog burrowing under the house. Dad saw him in the front yard one day and fired about 5 quick shots from his Browning .22 Nomad pistol. As the critter was running to his hole, Dad had 'zippered' him from his belly to his shoulders on-the-run from about 100'. The ground hog fell in nearly two seperate pieces just short of the hole.

#31 ·
If you wanna talk paintball, I made a blind head shot over a wall, with my arms extended all the way up. She had lifted her mask up for a second, immediately after spraying 20 or so rounds at me while I was moving from cover to cover. It left a nice bruise about an inch below her right eye. I've never seen her take her mask off during a game since. Though she still tells all of her friends about the time I shot her. :rolleyes:

For real guns, I landed two shots on a moving porcupine from about 100 yards with my 22A pistol.

#18 ·
Remembered another one from many years ago while grouse hunting. Quietly walking in the woods and brush when a grouse takes off at my feet headed real fast in the opposite direction. (The way I had just come.) I spin on my heals but get my feet twisted so I start to fall backwards while facing the direction the grouse is flying. I let off a shot from my 20 ga. as I am falling and it drops. When I check it there is one BB in the head and nowhere else.

#19 ·
I was at a crowded outdoor range with I guy who wanted to trade me one of his guns for an old car I had (he was getti g divorced at the time). One gun was a Ruger MKII and the other was a lightweight Officers Colt .45. due to the crowd we shot the .22 at the 25 yard line and I was sure it was the one I wanted but I wanted to give the .45 a go at the 7 yard line before I decided. Come to find the only .45 ammo he had was 200 or 230gr +P JHP. I was waiting for a spot to open up at the crowded 7 yard lines when somebody offered me his target, a paper plate with a dot on it. I stepped up to the line, aimed and got a BANGBANG! The gun kicked so much my finger slapped the trigger on recoil and fired the second shot by accident. Both holes were within an inch of each other in the center of the plate.

I unloaded that little rocket and walked away before anybody figured out it was an accident, and turned over the keys to the car and took the Ruger. Still have it today.

Reactions: pir8fan
#20 ·
The best shot I have ever made was a head shot on a running snowshoe hare in Alaska, made the shot at approx. 20 yards double action with an old NEF R92 .22 LR pistol, however I have seen some mighty nice shooting. Two examples are my cousin Pete, who is the same age as I am shooting flying skeet with a ruger super blackhawk .44 mag, and my cousin Sandy who is my dads age shooting flying grouse with a compound bow. Sandy is an execption to the rule, he only hunts with a bow, and I do mean he hunts everything with a bow from squirrels to moose.

#21 ·
My brother lives in Colorado between two horse ranches. The ranchers hate prairie dogs and have asked my brother to shoot as many as he can! We both have .17's with 6-9 scopes and were really putting some prairie dogs down. A couple of my brothers friends showed up one with a .22 the other another .17! My brother made this incredible shot of about 350 yards and we started walking it off! As we were walking a rabbit jumped out of a thicket about 15 or 20 feet in front of us. One of the friends started to say if I had a pistol I'd shoot that rabbit, he got if I had a, and I drew my Kimber and shot the rabbit in the head with a 230 gr JHP!! the rabbit just rolled!! The fur caught in the hollow so it wasnt as messy as you'd think!! Everyone, including me, was amazed at the shot!! I played it off like I meant to do it!!

#23 ·
My friend Dennis and I were alone at the range, and he went down to set up a target at the 100 yard line. In those days we both had excellent vision, and when he returned, I asked "Did that target already have a hole in it?" He said no, and I looked through the spotting scope and saw one of those giant black flies just on the edge of the black target. Dennis said "We can't allow intruders." He picked up his 30-30 Winchester, snapped it to his shoulder and fired. The fly disappeared, and a hole took its place. I said,"Oh, that's nothing!" and took the rifle from him. Dennis sat down and looked through the spotting scope as I fired, and he said "you hit the same hole." The hole had a small increase at the top, just barely visible. He and I both knew we had made dang lucky shots!

#25 ·
When we lived in Alaska, we were Fall hunting caribou up on the North Slope. (about 120 miles north of the Arctic Circle) We had hunted all day--nothing. We were on our way back to camp when a whole herd wandered over the hill. We all got one, (except for the guy who have given up and had tied his .270 to his pack :tongue:)

We had time to only partially bone them out before darkness and a storm rolled in on us, so we decided to come back the next moring and finish--since there was snow on the ground and close to zero, the meat surely wasn't going to go bad. So the next morning we set out back to our kill site with packs and pulling sleds. As we crested the hill into the valley, there was a fox having breakfast on my Caribou. I sat down and unlimbered my .338 Win Mag--the fox took off running and hit him with the first shot. I stepped it off at 250 yards. About all that was left was the tail. I'd like to claim it as skill, but....... (as an afterword, later than night as we were slogging back to camp in the dark, pulling sleds loaded with meat, in the midst of a driving snowstorm, I had a wolf run in front of me thru the light of my headlamp):blink:

#26 ·
Back when I was a kid (long, long time ago) a buddy and I were out with our 22 rifles. Right at dusk, I saw a bat flying around and knocked him out of the sky with a 22 birdshot. While we were poking around on the bat, who really wasn't quite dead it turns out, within a minute every bat in three counties came screeching in. We found it is possible to out run a squadron of flapping bats - but just barely - over a 150 yard dash to the house.

#27 ·
Back in CT I was harassing raucous crows in a tall oak tree across the street, using a pump-up Crosman air rifle. Basically I was raining "suppressive fire" on them with a BB about every 3-4 seconds. I finally actually aimed at the loudest one, high up in the tree; using BBs and at a range of about 40 yards I knew it wouldn't kill a crow but I was hoping to just bruise him so he'd take off and take his noisy buddies with him. I hit him in the leg, and when he leaned over to react to the shot, he actually fell off the branch, flapped his wings a couple of times on the way down, then landed on his head in the street. Stone cold dead!

The other story wasn't so much a lucky shot as just funny. As a kid I was reducing the population of bunnies that were destroying my mom's prized iris. The grass was a little tall but I saw two bunny ears and a big black eye. I got on one knee and shot, and the bunny flopped over... cool! Went over to examine the body. Picked him up and he peed (normal), but... no blood anywhere! Then I looked closely and saw my shot had pierced one ear and nicked another, like I'd used a .22-caliber hole punch! I shook him and put him back on the ground, and he ran away. It was the luckiest day of his life, and I figured I'd give him a break.

#28 ·
The self-proclaimed expert at our local range was babbling on and on about how useless snub-nosed revolvers are, inherently inaccurate, useless beyond 5 yards and other nonsense. I told him I disagreed then went to the 100-yard line and from a benchrest proceeded to put six rounds from a Colt Detective Special into a 5-inch group. Much better eyesight and coordination back then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.