If you could only have one .22... - Page 4

If you could only have one .22...

This is a discussion on If you could only have one .22... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by azchevy it would be a tube fed marlin rifle ..... Yep, it would be my Marlin Golden 39A. Had it for 33 ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: If you could only have one .22...

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    it would be a tube fed marlin rifle .....
    Yep, it would be my Marlin Golden 39A. Had it for 33 years, got it and a 500 brick of Remington ammo for $90. Priced one about a year ago.......
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

A real Smith & Wesson Model 17 K-22 Masterpiece from the era of pinned barrels and recessed cylinders.

My favorite .22 rifle is too obscure to be a serious contender but it's a M1922 Springfield, produced by Springfield Armory on a re-engineered Model 1903 Springfield receiver and possessing the excellent Lyman 48 aperture sight.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    You know what the cool thing is about this question/thread? That there are so many good/nice .22 models out there to choose from that its actually difficult for some of us to give you a hands down recommendation. Awesome, IMO.

This is a hard question for me. As cliche as it sounds, I DO love my 10/22 and would hate to give it up if I could only have one .22 gun. It may be near if not at the top of the list as far as best bang for the buck goes. This is a part of the appeal for me. At the same time, however, I have been wanting a Ruger .22 bull barrel pistol since my early/mid 20s but could not bring myself to give $400+ or - for one.

I also have been wanting one of the AR15 style models and really like the looks of the S&W model. Review some of the rifles of this type that Nutnfancy has reviewed to get some good info. He likes S&W model but did have some misfeeds from it. He also, however, claims that he never had one misfeed (grammatically correct?) from the Sig model. These rifles may be good options for you to check out as well.

Which one would I choose? I think I'll go with the 10/22 that is reliable out of the box and has a plethora of aftermarket parts readily available if I decide to modify it, etc.

I hope for you to have success on your search!

Sometimes the search is as much fun as the purchase.

Go to some gunshops and test some that you think you might like & have fun!

As much as I love all my handguns, the cost of ammo does keep me from shooting as much as I'd like. And the idea of 500 rounds of .22 for $20 makes such a tempting case. So I did my own search for the ideal .22 handgun and settled on the Ruger MKII standard. After a few range outings, I'm thinking I made the right choice.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I like my Savage bolt action rifle.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

RKM
    I don't have a .22

Although, I kinda want one of these...

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    like Glockman and first sgt said--Remington nylon 66--I've had mine for 47 years--it ALWAYS shoots, is accurate, reliable and weather-proof........ If I had to buy a new one--my wife's 10/22 is really nice.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I love my 10/22 with its 4X scope.
    Ditto that. I've written maybe 4-5 different magazine articles on the 10/22 including the original review of my particular gun in GUN WORLD a few years ago. I liked that rifle so much that I sent Ruger a check. Put a Bushnell scope on top and did a story for GW on plinking that had me shooting the heads off wooden kitchen matches at 25 yards with that rifle!

It is a dead-bang grouse and rabbit killer, and in a survival situation, I could slap in a 25-round Ruger or Ramline magazine and it would be a great survival gun.

I have yet to see one of these rifles fail. That's saying a lot, and I'm not saying it's never happened, but I have never SEEN it happen or even heard about such a situation. I have the original wood factory stock and a folding Ramline stock for that rifle. It is definitely a keeper and what my pals call a "lead hose" because it is nothing to sit down for a plinking session and go through 500 rounds before you know it. The 10/22 is a genuine fun gun and high-quality/low maintenance.

10/22 for a standard rifle
    MKiii 22/45 pistol
    CMMG makes one HELL of a 22 AR for a very reasonable price.

If you want a nice bolt action .22, the CZ guns are great. I own a CZ-452 and love it. I put a scope on it, and am capable of being living death out to 100 yards no problem.

Now if I only had a good place to go after squirrels like I did as a kid. Tree rats taste all right, and if you can get a cottontail you've got an excellent meal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links