The future technology of guns?

This is a discussion on The future technology of guns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just a curiosity. All of the firearms we have now pretty much work the same, gunpowder explodes, projectile is forced out of the gun at ...

Thread: The future technology of guns?

Just a curiosity. All of the firearms we have now pretty much work the same, gunpowder explodes, projectile is forced out of the gun at high speed.

Well, I'm an early adopter of technology. I love to see old ideas be replaced by new ones when there are advantages. I was one of the first to own a digital camera, DVD Player, and an electric car (Nissan Leaf). I like breaking paradigms.

Well, what do you guys think of the possibility of alternate types of weapons. Sure, we have the Taser but it is typically a single shot type weapon. I'm thinking more along the lines of a rail gun or laser gun. Both of these are viable and the government has been experimenting with both for decades. Most of the technologies work fine on the large scale such as on a battle ship and when there is a lot of money behind it. Right now, the small scale isn't too practical. But we've all seen how technology evolves and if there is a demand then things get smaller and cheaper.

So how many people would consider carrying a gun based on a different technology? The railgun would be most similar to what you have now only instead of gunpowder moving the projectile, it would be a powerful set of electromagnets. The advantage would probably be that the gun would be quiet and possibly have different adjustments for amount of power you want to use. Since the ammo would not require gunpowder or shells, you may be able to hold more rounds since the ammo would be smaller.

The laser pulse gun would have the advantage also of being quiet, with no recoil either. You would literally burn holes through your target. The disadvantage would probably be that if the laser hit anything even slightly reflective or glossy you could wind up blinding yourself and others around if you weren't wearing proper eye protection. Lasers can be powered by electricity or chemical reactions. So depending on how it is made, you might have to buy ammo that contains little capsules of reactive chemicals (this is how the military ones work) or just recharge your gun. The disadvantage of the full electric would be that you'd probably have to wait a few seconds between shots as the capacitors charge. Railguns may also suffer from that issue.

There may also be advances in microwave technology too. What about a pocket gun that when aimed at another human being would light up all of the pain sensing nerve cells in their body and make them feel like they are burning alive, even though no harm is actually being done to them? The military also has working models of this that currently can be mounted to a vehicle for use in the battlefield. I imagine over time, it could be made smaller.

I think the only thing keeping the laser thing from actually happening is the sheer fact that you have to a monster capacity battery, it would have to be a rechargeable "one and done" weapon. Also, I may or may not posses a 200mw laser that can fry a retina at 36 miles, so you have to take into effect stupid people bouncing it off stop signs at 2 miles. People have built 10w lasers that could burn skin, but they are powered from like phase 2 power outlets. I like the microwave idea!
    Springfield XD Sub-Compact 40S&W
    Ruger 10/22
    Winchester 1300 20ga
    Mossberg 500 12ga

Look at the Active Denial System if you haven't seen it already! This is exactly what this thread is about!
    Also note in this video he says 100kW transmitter and 200kW of electricity and aperture....don't quote me on this but pretty sure a laser has all of these components/
    YouTube - ‪Vehicle-Mounted Active Denial System (V-MADS)‬‏
    Springfield XD Sub-Compact 40S&W
    Ruger 10/22
    Winchester 1300 20ga
    Mossberg 500 12ga

Slightly off-topic: did you pick blu-ray or HDDVD to win?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Some kind of plasma weapon would probably happen before a small arm that uses a laser. I just don't believe lasers make good weapons for the kind of usage small arms are used for. They make more sense for more stationary and/or large targets.

Of course, the ultimate future weapon would be a Trek phaser. A multi-tool, if there was one: can kill, can incapacitate (taser mode), can cut, can melt, can heat up rocks for emergency warmth, can generate short range force fields, can have a wide "spread" if necessary, very long power cell life, etc. A laser could never match all of those capabilities. Of course, a phaser works on a different principle, using mythical particles called "rapid nadeons." So while it is a directed energy beam weapon, it's not quite a laser.

The biggest obstacle to all of this is that we just don't ahve the capability of lightweight, high capacity, high charge/discharge rate storage yet. Something like a viable ultracapacitor could help here, but we're talking about one of the holy grails of electrical engineering, like viable cold fusion. Maybe it'll happen one day, but no promises for now.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    well, for field work i am waiting on a Zorg ZF-1.
    till than im sticking with Vera
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I think a more viable alternative would be separate projectiles and liquid propellants. This has been studied in artillery applications.

In a long gun, you could vary the propellant charge to have either a less-lethal weapon, or a long range weapon, all in one. You could reduce the chance of over-penetration dramatically by adding a laser rangefinder and ballistic computer to the sighting system.

Handguns are typically used in a reactive defensive posture at very close range very quickly, so I'm not sure it would be of much benefit there.

But really, it is hard to beat the current technology for reliability and simplicity - and cost. Anything else is going to be so expensive and complicated that I don't see much use outside of law enforcement and military applications.

Aw heck - just get me a Dalek as a bodyguard. "Exterminate! Exterminate!"
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    This is really out there in the future, fusion bolt gun. A fusing mass of superheated hydrogen, fusion reaction of plasma state hydrogen, right now even in theory they would only work on like tanks and tanks the size of small hill sides but who knows in a few hundred years. Hits like a projectile cuts like a welding torch from hell.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

VIP Member
    I think the casingless round will be the next big thing. I also think that computer controlled triggers are on the horizon.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I'll go with the phaser. Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life on this planet. Sorry, but I had to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think the casingless round will be the next big thing. I also think that computer controlled triggers are on the horizon.
    If I only had to buy bullets, that would totally expand the amount of shooting I could do on a given budget! . Of course, that probably wouldn't work without some kind of rail gun type thing.

One thing that got me in Star Trek was the mysterious "dampening field" sometimes projected by hostile vessels, at which point the crew was mostly defenseless since their phasers wouldn't work anymore. A traditional firearm would not be affected in that instance.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I know of one main attempt to try to switch to casingless rounds, with the H&K G-11, that was back in the late 80's/ early 90's I believe.

I think that "smart" ammo is a more viable idea for now as far as small arms goes. Rail guns or laser might make it to crew served/vehicle mounted sizes in my life (right now the rail gun prototypes are about the size of a barn, and most of the lasers aren't much smaller according to the news). But I am not sure they will make it to small arms in the next 50 years, and if they do, I will probably be too much or a curmudgeon to change from my 1911.

But smart ammo like a launched grenade that you can set the detonation range on already exists.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Of course, the ultimate future weapon would be a Trek phaser. A multi-tool, if there was one: can kill, can incapacitate (taser mode), can cut, can melt, can heat up rocks for emergency warmth, can generate short range force fields, can have a wide "spread" if necessary, very long power cell life, etc. A laser could never match all of those capabilities. Of course, a phaser works on a different principle, using mythical particles called "rapid nadeons." So while it is a directed energy beam weapon, it's not quite a laser.
    The ultimate weapon is not a weapon at all, but either a force field or a virtual 'body' (like a hologram). With a FF any weapons would be deflected. Imagine everyone with a personal force field - no need to carry a defensive weapon, either.

With a VB, you'd be 'there', can see, walk, talk, but anything 'fired at you' would just go through the light-based hologram.

If they come up with something better than what I have now, in a package that is similar in size, and I can afford it, I will own one. I won't get rid of my old guns but I will for sure own the new stuff too.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links