Losing my Shooting Spot

This is a discussion on Losing my Shooting Spot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I posted in the past about an Indoor gun range that closed about 2 1/2 years ago due to employee theft and the ammo shortage/gas ...

Thread: Losing my Shooting Spot

Losing my Shooting Spot

I posted in the past about an Indoor gun range that closed about 2 1/2 years ago due to employee theft and the ammo shortage/gas prices.I spent a few months last year fixing and upgrading all the shooting lanes so they wouldn't have the jamming problems they had in the past with the thought that they were going to reopen.I had permission to shoot there anytime I wanted for fixing everything.
    I was informed yesterday that the Security Company is moving closer to Town and that the whole building is up for sale.The owner also decided he has a better chance of selling the property by dismantling the shooting range and turning it into a warehouse.I was told if I want I can take charge of the crew that will be dismantling the equipment since I know the system inside and out and after disassembly the components will be put up for sale.
    I told them that I would help them out and run the crew,so it looks like Sunday will be the end of an Era,kinda like having something on life support and doing everything you can to save it but then realising you can't save it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

You can still save it. If you can afford the cost of the range eqipment buy it and maybe later open up a range .Maybe they will sell it to you cheaper than they would someone else.

Sorry to hear that. It's getting hard to find shooting spots everywhere nowadays.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Administrator
    Thats a shame. At least you tried your best to save it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sorry to hear that, any alternative places to shoot?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    It's a shame you lost your shooting spot, but like everything else in life, changes happen. Really can't blame the owner either. He has a building setting empty that he still has to maintain and pay taxes on. If he can't rent it out, he does what he has to do to cut his losses. Hope you'll be able to find somewhere else to shoot close by.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think the building owner is missing a beat by dismantling an existing setup. He'd be better off showing the property as-is but stipulating that he'll be responsible for removing the range equipment if the buyer doesn't want it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Sorry to hear that. It's getting hard to find shooting spots everywhere nowadays.
    Amen to that! One range I know of (in door) gets more an hour than what my bookkeeper charges for the same time...

I can join an outdoor range,its about a 20 mile drive from my house,can only shoot from sunup to sundown,my shooting buddy and I used to shoot from about 7 PM to 11 PM every week,we shot everything from 22's to Saiga shotguns,and FA weapons.There are some other ranges that are further away,guess I'll concentrate on loading my friends really cheap ammo (I load them 9mm and 40 S&W and 45 acp for $12.00 100) and shooting less.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think the building owner is missing a beat by dismantling an existing setup. He'd be better off showing the property as-is but stipulating that he'll be responsible for removing the range equipment if the buyer doesn't want it.
    I agree what happens it somebody wishes to buy it. As an existing range it has to be easier to get town permit or licensing. ( If needed) How big is the building? What are the taxes? What does he want to sell the building for? If is is owned by a security company that used the range for training what does he plan on doing to contuine training ? How many lanes? Can the business be turned around to make the range profitable again?

Man that sucks. It is never good when a good shooting place goes away. I have had this happen to me twice. A range I really liked, that was easy to get to and not too far from my home closed and then the search for a new range starts. I hate that search.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Part of the problem was that the gun range is about 20+ miles to drive for most shooters,and with price of gas and 2 other ranges,(one is handgun only)closer with the outdoor charging around 85.00 year memberships and having a 25 yd pistol rimfire rifle range and a 100 and 200 yard centerfire rifle ranges it isn't very feasible to reopen,From my understanding The owner is going to sell the range equipment online,the rubber bullet trap material is gonna be cleaned and bagged up,I'm gonna grab as much lead as the owner will give me for my wages,hopefully I won't need to buy any lead for bullet casting for many moons

VIP Member
    Sounds like a big minus, {Range closing},

With a few pluses thrown in.

Good luck Duk.

"Since police started keeping statistics, we now know that assault weapons are/were used in an underwhelming 0.026 of 1% of crimes in New Jersey. This means that my officers are more likely to confront an escaped tiger from the local zoo than to confront an assault rifle in the hands of a drug-crazed killer on the streets."
    Deputy Chief Joseph Constance:
    Trenton, New Jersey Police Department,
    speaking before a Senate Committee, 1993
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links