Who makes good AR-15 lowers

This is a discussion on Who makes good AR-15 lowers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am thinking about picking up a few stripped lowers, so that I can start collecting parts bit by bit to build some more Ar-15's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who makes good AR-15 lowers

Who makes good AR-15 lowers

I am thinking about picking up a few stripped lowers, so that I can start collecting parts bit by bit to build some more Ar-15's up in configurations I want. I could just buy uppers to put on my existing lower and save some money, but that isn't as much fun, so I don't want to do it.

So who makes a good lower? What brands should I avoid? How much should I be looking to spend (it seems like most of the lowers I see are between $75-100, and a LGS currently has Spikes lowers for $79)? I am rather well versed with the weapon's platform, so I think that I want to build up a couple, like a mid-length carbine, and a DM style. So, someone tell me about lowers please.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    Palmetto State Armory

I would avoid DPMS, Oly, and CMMG I have ZERO first hand experience with any of them but have seen enough problems voiced on multiple forums that there has to be a base for the complaints. If the cost difference was greater, I might consider giving one of the lower tier Mfg. a try. Spikes has gotten a lot of bad press for delayed shipping and crappy CS but I have never heard anyone complain about the quality of their lowers (except for that ugly red spider!).
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Spikes have a good reputation as well as BCM's.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I think there were a couple of threads earlier this month that pointed towards BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, and a few others for a more serious rifle. Anything else should be fine for range time.

Hopefully the AR gurus catch wind of this thread because I would like to see if the stripped lowers make much difference or if its the parts kits.

VIP Member
    I think the lower is just a piece of milled aluminum. I just don't see how one piece of milled aluminum could be that much better than another (as long as it's milled correctly). I would go with the spikes if you can get it for 80$. It's the parts kit that counts IMO.

I was just doing this search and I couldn't tell the difference between my S&W and the new one I got (Palmetto). They both look good and seem to work just fine.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

sgb
    Best buy on ar lowers ....$59.95... these are made by Aero Precision, a buddy just picked up three of them.

Surplus Arms & Ammo LOW15 Stripped AR Lower Receiver

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think the lower is just a piece of milled aluminum. I just don't see how one piece of milled aluminum could be that much better than another (as long as it's milled correctly). I would go with the spikes if you can get it for 80$. It's the parts kit that counts IMO.

I was just doing this search and I couldn't tell the difference between my S&W and the new one I got (Palmetto). They both look good and seem to work just fine.
    That's my thinking, but some manufacturers probably have a better history than others. The ones the LGS has have the Spider, but it isn't colored.

I think that most of the quality issues probably come into play with other components, but I figured I would ask the experts.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    Hey Buckeye those Aero lowers are the same ones used by Spikes but they don't have the ugly spider.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Hey Buckeye those Aero lowers are the same ones used by Spikes but they don't have the ugly spider.
    And they are being sold by the same place as the Spikes one's. I may have to give them a try.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    I wish I lived close enough to AIM to just drive on in. :(

I wish I lived close enough to AIM to just drive on in. :(
    Actually you need to call ahead, and set up an appointment for firearms purchases now, and they only do pick up orders one day a week for firearms. Back in the day it used to be 5 days a week I could just drive on up there and get what I wanted. But they do have some good deals, and not having to pay to get cases of ammo shipped is nice.

What have you figured out about parts kits in your quest Timmy?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I think G and R is a little closer to this part of Ohio. Take a trip there and build a whole rifle.

VIP Member
    This

Daniel Defense Lower Receiver Parts Kit AR-15 - MidwayUSA

or this.

MOE Lower build kit

I went with Palmetto parts. I got more fore the money IMO.

Sponsor
    Most of the problems that I have heard about stem from the milling being out of spec. The pins walk or the receivers don't match up properly. Evidently there is also a possibility that the Poly mags won't drop free in some of the billet lowers.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    How bout this one. : )

Palmetto State Armory Gadsden Lower

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links