Firearms as gifts to the unsuspecting

This is a discussion on Firearms as gifts to the unsuspecting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not at all a good idea in my view. You'd feel pretty stupid if that damn thing' was involved in an unintentional discharge due to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Firearms as gifts to the unsuspecting

VIP Member
    Not at all a good idea in my view. You'd feel pretty stupid if that damn thing' was involved in an unintentional discharge due to no interest in training or safe keeping.
    rammerjammer and claude clay like this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

2. Remove Ads

I stand corrected,I just read the actual buyer,and what constitutes it and you can gift the firearm to a 3rd party.I gotta ask if this rule was changed,because IIRC there was some kinda stink raised about organisations raffling off firearms that they had purchased and the "straw" purchase coming up.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Unless you know for sure it is something she would want, don't do it.

If your dead set on buying someone a gun for Christmas, PM me and I'll give you my address!
    OOOOH, OOOOH, me too, me too. I'll take an Ed Brown like "Thumper" just got
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Buying guns is a very personal decision. (like buying underwear)

Do you buy your cousin underwear?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    ya, a gun...just any ol kind of gun....and a cleaning kit and a background check cause maybe someone living at that address may have a police record they be hiding and you just made them a felon ( thank you very much) oh, and a years membership where they can go shoot it after they take the pistol class you also bought for them and the gun locks and a safe. don't forget the ammo for them to have fun with...

darn but i wish you were my friend buying such expensive gift packages. oh, and please call my boss for paid time off so i can take the pistol class cause without the permit i am a felon in possession of a firearm in many states. but you'll explaine it all to my mortgage company why i missed the house payments while i was in prison.

what a great guy you are to have thought it all out so ....poorly

is it starting to make sense to you when i say you know not what it is you do not even know how to ask the question about??
    guns are unlike anything else made by man. special rules to own, special rules to manipulate. Get Training
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    what a great guy you are to have thought it all out so ....poorly
    The whole reason I posted the question was to see if anyone else had done this and how it went. Apparently not, and from what I can see the unanimous consensus is not to do it, at least without more info. I have 6 months or more to decide. I think I'll take some advice here and invite them both to the gun range and offer to pay. I'll see how that goes over.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    change in direction, much better i may add.

a question, and please not to take it wrong--are you the best one to have two guests that have no previous firearms training?
    a time proven method is to get your hands on the NRA Basic Pistol book and go over it with them a few weeks before you go. after you spend an hour or so drilling them on the 4 rules you loan them the book to read and study before the actual range day.
    next--do you have the proper calibers and types of actions to introduce a novice to shooting?
    22's, a revolver and a semi-auto (perhaps a single six and a S&W 422). than a 38 revolver or 9mm semi-- sub compacts may be fine for SD but not for a novice. a 4" bbl is good to learn with.
    also remember eyes and good ears--not 25 cent plugs but NAA 21 or better muffs. loud noises will be a turn of and induce flinching.

keep us posted as your plan develops, help is but for the asking.

--->are you proficient yet?
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    22's, a revolver and a semi-auto (perhaps a single six and a S&W 422). than a 38 revolver or 9mm semi-- sub compacts may be fine for SD but not for a
    I figure my Walther P22 is a good starter gun. I plan to start my daughter on that one when she gets old enough to progress beyond the BB gun.

--->are you proficient yet?
    Well, i think so. When last I took the Texas CHL class, I scored a 250/250 and was the only one in the class to make a perfect score. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to rate a person's proficiency. Although, truth be told I missed one shot because my gun jammed on one round. Ironically, It is the only time my Glock 19 has ever jammed on me, as a matter of fact. But as the instructor could not count all of my shots because they were too close together, I still got a 250/250.

cj
    Lots of good advice in here. I just did a ladies night at our range...plenty of women who sound very similar showed up, but only one expressed any interest in exploring something to have for her own...and she got to go through about 8 or 9 different models and still wasn't sure what she might like. So not knowing if or what your cousin might like, there's a huge chance that it would just end up in a closet or a 'buyback'.

I agree with the posts for alternative suggestions which don't really cost anything if she's really not interested, such as:
    Take her on an all-expenses paid trip to the shooting range (maybe make little gift certificates for multiple trips). You could make it more fun by getting some personal safety equipment (eyes and ears) of her own...much nicer for women than borrowing used gear.
    A gift certificate for a basic shooting class (where you'll pay for it if/when she goes if the instructors in your area don't have gift certificate capabilities)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links