Firearms as gifts to the unsuspecting

This is a discussion on Firearms as gifts to the unsuspecting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone ever given a handgun as a christmas/birthday gift to a family member without having any idea how they'd react? I'm known for giving ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Firearms as gifts to the unsuspecting

Has anyone ever given a handgun as a christmas/birthday gift to a family member without having any idea how they'd react?

I'm known for giving unusual (but usually tactful and useful) gifts around Christmas time. My female cousin just turned 21 and I'm tempted to buy her a handgun this Christmas. Yes, I know that is like 6 months away, but I start planning the big gifts early. The thing is, I don't entirely know how she would react. She's never expressed any opinions one way or the other on the topic. She just got engaged to a really cool guy who I get along with great. I was thinking of maybe shooting him an email and see what his opinion is on the matter. I know he won't object, as I'm pretty sure he is pro-gun. But what I mean is that he would have a good idea what her reaction might be.

But then there is the issue of what kind to buy her? If you want it to be a surprise you can't exactly take her to the gun store. I'd want it to be something in the $300 range. So that eliminates a lot of the more expensive things like Sig or Glock. But then there are still choices of caliber, revolver vs. semi-auto, Big gun, pocket gun, etc. Not to mention color! It might be a less awkward gift if I got one in her favorite color, maybe even with her name on it or something. How would one ever decide?

Anyway, my reasoning on the matter is that I know a lot of people her age are unable to afford such things. I bought my first handgun on my 21st birthday and I had been saving for it for a long time, so I'm sort of the unusual one in that regard. (I'm 36 now) But many of my friends wanted one, but it just wasn't top priority on their budget. Now before anyone starts asking, she has no criminal record (or her fiancée) and she is not known for violence or mental illness. I'm 100% sure if she went down to the gunstore today, she would be approved to purchase one.

Anyway, has anyone ever tried something like that as a gift. If so, how did it go over?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I've never gone there, myself.

Being that you really don't know her tastes, so to speak, or whether she'd even want a firearm, I'd go with the e-mail to the fiancé & find out just how receptive she might be. If the answer is good, then perhaps a custom 'gift certificate' to her offering a firearm of her choice up to $$.

I'm finding that owning a firearm is really quite the personal situation & the wrong choice, well, may just backfire!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Maybe talk to the boyfriend and invite them both out to the range. Give them a lesson, have a little fun and probably find out more about what her reaction would be. If you have a range near you that rents weapons, you could possibly even learn her preferences regarding caliber and revolver-vs-autoloader...just my $.02
    joker1, Erick46590 and jwhite75 like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    It's like giving someone a dog in my opinion.

Thanks for the gift, and the responsibility that goes along with it. Not a chance I want to take on a gift that typically has no/limited returns.

A gun is way too personal of a choice. Would be different is the person was already into it and knew what they wanted next, just my thoughts on it.

Guns are like goat cheese when it comes to giving them as gifts. Some will gleefully accept and be thankful, other will react as if you had given them a flaming bag of pet poo.

Maybe as a gift get her a gift certificate to a new shooters class and if that goes well make the next gift a firearm.

I would definitely feel out the situation more before you buy anything. Maybe talk to the boyfriend and he thinks that she would like it, then arrange a trip to the shooting range and make it look like the trip is for her boyfriend, instead of focused on her. While you're there you can get enough info from her to see if she is interested and feel her out some more for what type of gun she'd like. This would also open the lines of communication for her boyfriend to feel her out for some more info and pass it along to you.
    Erick46590 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    dont do it, if they have not expressed an intrest either way. how about something else, offer to pay for her permit instead.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Unless you know for sure it is something she would want, don't do it.

If your dead set on buying someone a gun for Christmas, PM me and I'll give you my address!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Weapons are personal things. The research, selection, and purchase are all major parts of the process. Giving one as a gift pretty much denies the recipient of what is a critical part of the acquisition process. It's also a creepy kind of present. I'd go for something like a Kindle instead.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    dont do it, if they have not expressed an intrest either way. how about something else, offer to pay for her permit instead.
    Good idea, Not sure about the firearm, very thoughtful but it does have a lot of responsibility to go with it for a long long time ? Saftey course or the permit would be a start in the right direction along with giving the fiancé a heads up. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by swood View Post
    I would definitely feel out the situation more before you buy anything. Maybe talk to the boyfriend and he thinks that she would like it, then arrange a trip to the shooting range and make it look like the trip is for her boyfriend, instead of focused on her. While you're there you can get enough info from her to see if she is interested and feel her out some more for what type of gun she'd like. This would also open the lines of communication for her boyfriend to feel her out for some more info and pass it along to you.
    Good advice. Put out some feelers to your cousin and those closest to her and see if you can get some feedback on her thoughts about the subject of guns and shooting. Offer to take her out shooting and if she accepts, see what she thinks about firearms, shooting in general and maybe ask if there is a particular type/style of gun she finds most interesting. If you get positive feedback, proceed from there if you think it's okay.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I know that buying a firearm for immediate family member is legal,but when you start drifting off into relatives IMHO you are committing a straw purchase,if she is up for it have her fill out the Form 4473 and you pay for it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You would be committing what is known as a straw purchase,the boyfriend is not related to you and buying a gun knowing you will give it to someone else is Illegal
    Actually, a straw purchase is when you buy a gun for someone who is not qualified to own or possess a firearm.

There is no law that says you can not gift a firearm to someone. The only stipulation is that if the recipient is in another state the transfer must go through a FFL. In the same state only state laws pertain to the transfer of ownership.

That being said, the best way is to either purchase a gift certificate for a store selling guns or to make arrangements to handle the payment and the gift recipient handle the paperwork.

LOL, way to go dukalmighty, you edit while I spell check my post and now we don't match!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    duka, that is not a straw purchase. Someone asking a friend to buy a handgun for them because they are underage is a straw purchase, buying a handgun for a felon is a straw purchase. Buying as a gift, not a straw purchase.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links