How often to lube a gun/how much to use

This is a discussion on How often to lube a gun/how much to use within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The specific gun I'm asking about is a S&W Sigma 40ve. I don't really know too much about handgun maintenance and I'm not only asking ...

Thread: How often to lube a gun/how much to use

How often to lube a gun/how much to use

The specific gun I'm asking about is a S&W Sigma 40ve. I don't really know too much about handgun maintenance and I'm not only asking about lubing, just general maintenance. Anything I should definitely know/should expect? thanks
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    use very little lube, enough to cover the metal parts where there is metal on metal contact. a thin film is all you need, i generally lube my guns once a month if not fired
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

anything need done with the barrel? or just clean it after each range trip?
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Clean it, and run a patch of your oil through it after you're done cleaning. Wipe down the outside of the barrel with oil too, and wipe that off so there's only a bit on there. That is it. In fact, you may even be able to get away with not putting a patch of oil through after cleaning the barrel, if you live somewhere where rust isn't a huge concern. The oil on the barrel interior is really only for rust protection. It isn't really necessary for function in most popular firearms.

thanks guys.

Erick you may be able to find a video are twenty on youtube for your specific gun. The owners manual will also have recommendations as well. I have a few older guns I inherited and have had found a few helpful video's there as well as online manuals for the guns.

Yea, I was planning on reading the manual as soon as I get the gun (13th of this month :) and I was just wondering if there was anything I may not have read or found out on my own that you guys could help me with. And yea, Ill have to look it up on youtube, didn't even think about that.

If your not going to shoot a lot (Which you won't be able to stop doing at first!) consider graphite lube in the hot months it stays around longer and doesn't attract the dust and dirt that oil does. As said above YouTube is your friend with stuff like that, It's hard to explain what you can't see.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I follow the owner's manual on any gun.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member
    I only lube the bore of a pistol if I'm putting a gun into storage for a while (more than a month). I don't lube the bore on my EDC. In fact I use about 4 drops of oil on the rail contact points and then I leave it alone.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I dip a q-tip in oil and coat the rails, and then wipe down the barrel with a light coating of oil. It should be just enough to make it look glossy, but not so much that it starts to run. I clean my Sigma every couple hundred rounds and it seems to work good for me.

alright thanks, this should all b very useful when I first start firing/maintaining it. Cuz like I said, bit of a newbie to handguns, but very excited and anxious, only 6 days til the 13th (when I'm getting it and applying for my LTCH) :D

Links